Chapter 17- Veronica's POV

7 days until the war.

I can't tell how long it's been. Training has been going slow and interaction has been tough. The calendar on my wall says it's been about a month. But that's just me counting in my head. I've been traveling around the West trying to get people to listen. That this is really coming. Yet, the temptation to show my real skill is there. The people look at me like a prop that the government is using. I'm not being taken seriously. But that will change when the fear and wreckage of this war spreads.

Hutch and I have been taking an interest in each other. It all started when he kissed me in the garden.

I am walking down the hall in formation with Hutch by my side. He squeezes my hand and I look up at him. He winks at me letting me know that he is here for reassurance. We are in Nevada. As the guards open the doors, crowds are all over. 7 days. Feels like forever ago when I started this. But things needed to change. I am dressed in the normal black bodysuit with gold and blue capes. Cameras are flashing all around me. People are screaming my name as I walk up to the podium, guards get in formation behind me. I wait for the people to quiet down.

"Hello people from Nevada. People of the West." I say. I glance down at my notes. "We are in for a war. And I know that you have heard this in the news but it is not what you think. I know you are all frustrated that a tiny 18 year old girl is leading your soldiers into war, but you haven't heard the whole story."

I look at the crowd and see a little girl. She has pigtails in her brown hair and has the one front tooth that sticks out a little more than the others. I watch her scream at me and I catch a few words. "Tell us the truth! No more cards!" I glance down at the cards and her words echo throughout my head. I take off my black gloves and tear the cards up.

"I am here to tell you the truth." I say, sliding my other glove back off. Maria and the engineers made them so they would dampen my power when I am out in public if I lost control. "I am leading this war for a special reason. One that the fellow government officials won't tell you. I can't necessarily tell you so I guess I will have to demonstrate what I have to offer for our side." The guards behind me are my guards so they won't stand in my way. The government officials stand up in their seats and try to make their way over to me, but the crowd is too strong for them.

My eyes flash their normal vibrant blue color and I hold my hand out. A splash of water surges out of my hand. But not enough to hurt anyone. In an instant, I turn it into ice and it drops into my hand. The crowd is silent. The Cameras are aimed right at the ice in my hand.

"There was a night 18 years ago that all the planets aligned. And that was the night I was born. Mother nature chose me to lead you all to be free. To stop the wars by creating one." I say.

I look out at the people among me. Most look confused, or scared. But there is a glint of hope behind their eyes. I started it. I started the war, and I am going to end it. Then the cheering starts. Not riots or protests, support. But also anger, not at me, at the government. I smile and stare at Lenard in the crowd. Then I remember Rule number 1. You can take the position of a government official by dueling to the death. Someday I will rule this country, making it better and stronger. The guards usher me off the stage and Leanard grabs my arm, digging his nails into my skin.

"Do you know what you just did?" Lenard screams as we get into the car.

"Wholeheartedly." I reply, my tone bitter.

"Do you want to go against this whole government? I am helping you be a good guy but I can change that in an instant! Imagine this, New So Called Blood Goddess Has Killed More Than 1,000 People With Her Soul Crushing Powers!"

"Rule Number 1." I yell.

"Challenge accepted!" He remarks. "Seems like someone is getting a bit arrogant! Stop the car."

I open the sleek black door and walk out onto the highway. Cars skid around me and I wink at Lenard. Game on.

I make my way back to the city and the town is empty. I scan around. Boarded up buildings and doors are knocked down. I was just here.

"Where is everyone?" I question.

No answer. The wind rustles and a swing creaks. I see a figure dart into an abandoned alley.

"Hey!" I yell.

I start running toward where the figure is and as I turn the corner I see the same girl who yelled during the campaign. Her clothes are ripped and her face is bloody. What happened in a span of 15 minutes?

"Run!" She screams.

Confusion hits me and I look behind me at what she was looking at. I start running to cover the girl but it's too late. The village erupts into orange and yellow flames. The last thing I hear is the girl's screams before I am wrapped in burning heat.

"Veronica. Wake up."

My eyes fly open. I look down at my hands as they stitch back together, the skin is burnt and bubbly. I look around at the effects of the bombs. Everythings is in flames and ashes fall like snow. In my lap is the girl. Blood falls from her mouth and she looks up at me.

"Stay with me!" I whisper. "Come on!"

I wrap her cold body in my cape and I watch her struggle as she tries to speak.

"You have to make peace." She whispers.

Peace with the other side. They killed all these people because they knew my secret. It's all because of me. The girl falls limp, and I lay her on the ground.

"When you wake up, the world is going to be different." I whisper.

I get up and push the tears back. Get ready to die, Lenard. I see a brown Toyota sitting outside and I get into it. I use my government key card and I scan it against the card id reader. Our key cards let us access anything we need to in emergency situations.

"Phew. Lenard didn't disable my card yet." I released a sigh of relief.

I drive off and leave Nevada behind. I call Hutch, the only person I can trust now.

"Veronica?" Hutch's British accent fills the speakers in the car.

"Are you still with Lenard?" I ask.

"Of course not. Not when everyone is hunting you! He dropped me off at the base in Wisconsin, but then I left." He exclaims.

"Send me your location before Lenard shuts down my phone." I remark. The location comes in and I open it on my maps. "I have to go. I'll see you in two days."