Chapter 31- Veronica's POV

I wake up after Bentley pulls the mask off.

"Did we catch him?" I ask.

Bentley kisses me and nods. Of course we did. The night before I saw an anomaly on the security cameras. They seemed to be looped. Right then and there I realized some people might be loyal to Hutch and Lenard's cause. They will be given a fair trial.

Soldiers are in the hallway, not soldiers, people. They aren't dressed in uniforms, instead the uniforms are replaced by t-shirts and jeans or sweatpants. Casual. Smiles are on their faces for the first time ever. Life has changed.

I walk out the doors with Bentley close behind me. I can tell that they caught all of the rebels, including Taylor. I remember how friendly Taylor was to me. However, obviously she was just plotting ways to kill me.

The sun is beaming down on the newly grown trees. Warmth is in the air for the first time in a while. Mother Nature, we did it. Bentley goes to get the car and I stare out at the people. I can tell who is from the East and who is from the West. However, we are together as one. Bentley comes around on the road and honks the horn. I took a breath and walked over to the car.

"I have got to show you something," Bentley says.

"Okay," I say.

I get in the back seat and buckle my seat belt. I am dressed in casual jeans and a yellow blouse. I never thought that I would wear something that doesn't have holes in it. I look out the window and look at the bright green grass. I notice the location where we are but not the scenery.

The memories of the cold water hit me. Bentley and I's picnics and funerals. So much history has been because of this.

"This is the river? How?" I ask, quickly.

"Mother nature," Bentley smiles. "We are already working on re-connecting the roads,"

"How long have you known about this?" I ask.

"About a month. I was going to show you but then Hutch decided to gain some followers." Bentley sighs.

He parks the car and opens the door. "Come on."

I step out of the car and Bentley takes my hand. Warmth rushes up to my face as I feel his palm against mine. We walked on the soft grass and my shoes slid a bit. I look ahead and see a blanket on the ground with a basket.

"You remembered." I sigh. Tears form in my eyes.

When we were kids, we had a picnic. Bentley packed it himself. Although it was mostly candy, I still felt appreciated. I told him that we were to have a picnic when we were old enough to get married.

My heart thumps at the words flowing through my head. Heat rushes up to my cheeks and I feel a smile form on my face. My stomach has a funny feeling in it. Love.

I look out at the sky. The sun is setting and the horizon has colors of the mix of orange and pink. I turn around to where Bentley is standing.