Chapter 5- Veronica's POV

The smell of tart and lemon bleach fills the house when I wake up. Why the heck does it smell like bleach? I put on my shirt and pants and walk downstairs, the wooden steps creak under my feet. Two voices fill the halls. Fighting again. My feet hit the cold floor and I peek around the corner. The maid is wrapping something in the carpet and scrubbing the floor.

I touch the cold silver cross hanging on my neck. I remember the boy who gave it to me. But I couldn't bear the day when I was sold and never ever allowed to see him again. Is he still waiting for me? The thoughts cross my mind but fade out once I hear the yells of the man.

"She's going! We bought her because you weren't fertile and you wanted a child! She gets to go because she is a normal teenager!" Mr. Crude yells.

"Fine but you will pay for the dress, shoes, hair, and makeup. It won't be my money and she needs to set a good example." Mrs. Crude says, stomping down the hallway.

"You use up all of my money anyway." I hear the man mutter.

I continue walking down the stairs and head into the kitchen. His wrinkles are more defined when he is mad.

"Veronica you will represent me at a charity ball tomorrow night. You will wear a mask." He says sipping his coffee.

"But-" I start to say.

"No but's." He says. "We will go out shopping in ten minutes."

I run-up to my room and pull on jeans and a black crop top. I straighten out my hair and keep it down. I grab some foundation and cover my tattoo. It's on my back and it's the date that I was sold. Written in fine blue ink and big swirly numbers. They would kill me if they saw it. I pull on my leather jacket and go downstairs.

"Let's go." I say.

We get in his sports car and drive to the dress and shoe shop. We get out and walk inside.

"Jeremy nice to see you!" Says the saleswoman.

"We need the best dress for the charity gala. She needs to be the best looking there." He says.

"Alrighty!" She says cheerfully.

"I'll be back in an hour." He says to me.

I follow the woman and we check out the dresses. Of course, I have no say in what I wear. I try on a diamond dress that is just silk and diamonds. And then I put on diamond shoes and a black mask.

"Your hair will be down and not a lot of makeup. You are a natural. This is the one time each year both the East and the West come together for a ball. You will look fabulous!" She squeals.

"How much is it?" I ask.

"4.5 million." She says happily.

"We will take it." Mr. Crude says, walking in.

I take off the dress and dress in my clothes. I take the dress, shoes, and mask and sit in the car. My phone dings and my friend Lina texts. She is a millionaire born into her family.

Are you going to the charity gala?

I grip the box and text her back.

Yep. They finally wanted me to see the world

She texts me back.

Ugh... Well, at least you will have me to lead the way. Time for them to see 'Veronica's Sparkle!' Lmao! Ttyl. Love ya girl. See u there!

I put my phone back in my pocket and he comes out of the store and drives in silence.

When we get home I go up to my room carrying the box. I sigh as I close the door leaning against the wood.