Chapter 14- Bentley's POV

13 days until the war.

I wake up to fists pounding on my door. I look at the clock and it reads 3:29. It's too early to wake up.

"Bentley! Where is my wife you bastard!" John yells.

I open my door and he falls forward. He catches his footing and stands up straight. He runs toward me and grabs the hem of my shirt.

"She didn't do a very good thing." I say calmly to him. "You should have stayed in Ohio."

"Where is my wife!?" He asks again.

"I told her I would let her out when she and Grahm came back. So follow me." I say.

I walk to the stairway and unscrew the sign. I put my finger on the pad and the bricks unfold. John stares at the secret stairwell in awe.

"Let's go." I say.

I walk down the stairs and he follows me.

"Farren." He says rushing toward her.

She looks up weakly and the chains clank together. I toss the keys to him and he unlocks her. He carries her and walks back up the stairs.

"Wow, not even a thank you. How rude." I say going back upstairs.

I go back to my room and get some more sleep. I wake back up at 8:00. I walk down to the family table and take my seat at the head of the table. Farren, John, and Grahm walk in and take their seats.

"Mommy, I heard you talking about your story to daddy and I want to hear it." Grahm says.

"The whole thing?" Farren asks.

"Yes, we have time." Grahm says.

"Okay, this started 5 years ago. I was at a club-" She starts to say.

"Whats a club?" Grahm asks.

"A place where you go to have fun as an adult. Anyway, don't interrupt. I was at a club and I was with my friend Ray. She was rich and worked for a famous boss. No one knew who this boss was. Well, Ray decided to put a little pill in mommy's drink, which made me go night for a little while. I woke up and it turns out Ray's boss gave me a..." Farren stops to think about what to say.

It's weird talking to kids about this. Why do adults talk about this? I have no clue. Good thing I don't have kids.

"...special hug when I was asleep. And that led to you. Then Grandpa Hank found out about it and had mommy go away for a while. Then I came back home last year with you." She says. She pokes Grahm's nose and sits back in her chair.

I recall the events of that time. Me sneaking out to go see her. Her getting privately married. My father was at none of those. I get up after eating and go back to my room.

"The reckoning is upon us." I mutter.

I walked into my room and hit my hand on the wooden frame on the outside of my door.

"Crap." I curse.

Blood drips down my hand and onto my fingertips. I summon my power and try to seal it back together. My head hurts and the gash in my hand opens up more. Something is wrong. The room spins and I fall down.

I wake up in the VIP room of the soldier hospital. Farren sits next to me. My hand is bandaged and there is an IV taped to my wrist.

"Doctor he's awake!" Farren yells.

"What happened?" I ask. My voice is hoarse.

"The maids found you on the floor of your room. Probably hours after you passed out. You lost a lot of blood and they did a scan of your head and something about a neurological tie to someone. Your stress levels were very high." Farren says.

A chip? My powers are not shutting down because of the chip. When you have fire and earth you need water and air. It must be because Veronica is dead. But she has been for a week so why are my powers shutting down now? Something is wrong. Very wrong.

The doctor comes in with a chart. She is our family doctor who knows all about my powers.

"You are going to have to go under. Farren, I am going to have to ask you to leave. I need to speak in private with Bentley." The doctor says.

My sister walks out of the room and closes the door behind her.

"Under?" I ask.

"We will have to put you in a medically induced come to see what is blocking your powers. Your bond that you described with Veronica last time is fading away in your vitals. We need to produce someone else with the same powers and bond as Veronica or you will die." My doctor says.

"Let's do this." I say. "Bring on the coma."

Coma; a state of deep unconsciousness that lasts for a prolonged or indefinite period, caused especially by severe injury or illness. Well, this is what I am going to go under.

"Come with me." My doctor says.

I follow her to a different room with a brain monitor and a medicine cart. I lay down on the gurney and my sister walked in.

"You will survive this." My sister whispers to me. "You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only way."

The doctor tells Farren to leave and she gets the medicine ready.

"You ready?" She asks.

"Ready as I'll ever be." I say.

She lifts my head up and puts the mask over it. I lay back down and she presses the 'on' button. I close my eyes as my lungs inhale the medicine. And blackness falls over me.