Chapter 11- Veronica's POV

18 days until the war.

The world is a blur. Black. Small lights shine like stars. I used to look at the stars every night. Until I didn't. When they caught me sitting on the roof. That did not end well. My scar on my leg showed up due to that. My father. Left when I was born. I never even saw his face. He is somewhere in the East but I never tried to look for him. Serves him right for leaving me and my brother.

I wake up.

Opening my eyes, my body feels like it's been cut open. I can't move but I look down. Blood is everywhere. Doctors are cutting into my skin. The lighting shines and fades as I look. Doctors are huddling over me.

"She's awake. Give her more anesthetic." A doctor says.

And they shove a mask over my mouth. And I drift again.

"Mom." I say, my voice echoed. "Mom don't leave me!" There is a mirror next to me and I look in it. A baby. Me. My mother is in a blue floral dress that rises in the wind. A field between me and her. And she looks at me holding out her hand. I feel inclined to take it. And I fall. It's like I'm drowning in water.

Gasping I wake up. Bandages are over me. I pull an IV tube out of my nose. A friendly doctor walks in.

"Where am I?" I ask.

"We pulled you out of the river. It's a miracle how you survived. No one ever does. You are special Veronica." The doctor says.

"How do you know my name?" I ask.

"We know everything about you. The stealing, hence being the most wanted person in the West. Your powers used to bring down the Crude house. The Crudes abuse you for so long. You met Bentley at the masquerade ball. Your time in the assassin asylum" She says.

"So what do you want with me?" I ask.

"Sweetheart, you owe us." She says.

"So you work with the West's government?" I ask.

"Yes. My name is Doctor Rein." She says. She stands next to me checking my vitals.

"What do you want me to do?" I ask.

"Hence your time with the assassin asylum you have skills. a war Including your powers and you figuring out how to disable your chip you will be our savior."

"Savior?" I say with curiosity.

"Veronica, you are responsible for starting a war in 18 days that we spent 100 years trying not to make happen again. A girl like you only 18 years old started all of this. With your powers, you will fight for the West in this war. If not, we have ways to make you comply. We will train and medicate you to be the best of the best. Better than the Blood King in the East. You are the hope for the people." Doctor Rein says.

"Why should I?" I ask.

"We won't have you executed for your crimes which include, murdering 10 government officers, murdering your adoptive parents, stealing, and socializing to the other side. The government will drop all of that if you fight for us."

"I need to think about it. And what medicine have you possibly created to make me better than the Blood King himself?" I ask.

"We are smarter than the East. We are not strong in war. But we are strong in science and technology." Rein says pointing to her brain.

"Did you create me?" I ask.

"That is unknown to me." She says.

"Give me some time to think about it." I say.