Chapter 7- Veronica's POV

The lashes on my back heal quickly due to my powers. I put on my white diamond dress, fingers shaking as I slid up the zipper. There is a sharp pain in my head and I grab onto my dresser before I fall. I groan. It's like a wall of pain. My eyes brighten and turn blue and I fight the pain. As it passes I put on my shoes and put some makeup on. Then I slide on my mask and it is like I've met a different person. I tuck my silver cross under my dress.

"Come on! We don't have all day!" Mrs. Crude yells.

I grab my clutch and walk down the stairs. They hurry me out the door and into the limo.

"Don't embarrass our family." Mrs. Crude says. "You're already late."

I turn around and ignore her. Lina texts me.

When will you be here? It's awkward talking to people I don't know...

I text her back.

I'm on my way. Mrs. Crude gave me the belt again. I will be there soon.

I sigh and look out the window. We drive over and get to the ball. People are still getting out of their cars. As I get out my dress sparkles. A man in a suit helps me out of the car.

"Thanks." I say.

"You're welcome, M'lady." He says bowing.

I walk through the doors and my hair shimmers. I walk down the stairs, each stair seems to echo and people all look at me with their mouths open in awe. My heart skips a beat and when I get down the stairs I grab a champagne flute. An old man comes toward me.

"Hey, pretty lady. Want to dance?" He asks, clearly drunk.

"No." I say.

"Aww come on." He says grabbing my waist. My eyes flash blue and I lock eyes with him. Time stops and my power wave crushes him. Time unfreezes and people scream. I play along and scream too. I groan as another scar forms on my arm. I walk away smiling.

"Smug rich guy." I mutter.

Lina runs up to me. She wears a sparkly purple dress and her blonde hair is tossed over.

"Oh my goodness V! You look stunning!" She squeals.

"Thank you too." I say.

She loops her arm with mine and we walk around. "So I saw this stunning guy... and he rejected me! He pushed me!" She says, throwing her arms out. She is clearly drunk. "I don't have the charm like I did when we were teenagers."

"Don't worry." I say. "I'll set that guy straight. No one rejects you."

We laugh. And I grab another champagne flute.

"Cheers!" I say laughing. I know I shouldn't be drinking.

"Oh, my gosh girl! We need to find you a man. Someone that will help you stand up to that family of Hello that you live with." She says looking me dead in the eyes.

"First we need to find that guy that rejected you." I say, trying to avoid the face that she is wrong. I drink the rest of my champagne and grab another champagne flute.

"Girl you are drunk. But whatever you want I guess." She says. Lina points to a guy with a cape and a red mask on. His eyes are red and he has brown hair and a cold stare.

I walk toward him, laughing. He looks at me trying to make me cower at his feet.

"You, sir. Rejected my friend." I say, slurring my words. I poke him in the chest with my pointer finger. He doesn't speak. I look him in the eyes and his eyes flash bright red.