Chapter 21- Veronica's POV

Part III
Death is here

I pull the cold metal zipper up and suit up. The black jumpsuit is tight against my skin and my cape falls off my back, almost hitting the heels on my boots. I tie my hair up in a high sleek ponytail and I dip my hand in the war paint and smudge it under my cheeks, supplied from Taylor. Then I slide my sword into its holder. My gun goes in my right holster and my sword is in my left.

    The soldiers had no information on this war. I realized they had no T.V.'s to see the news. Lenard was going to send them into battle like stray dogs and then send me in to finnish the job. I have worked with them individually, gathering up the best information, placing them in squads. Greyson is basically my number 2, just like Hutch was Lenards.

I put on my cross necklace which I left on my nightstand the night before. I will be able to find you. I close my eyes and touch the cross, recalling all of the memories. Swinging on the swings and running around in the woods. He learned my world and I learned his.  I will be able to save you. Please give me a sign. Where are you? We will be together after this war, my love.

    My boots click against the hard tile floor. I check the time from the clock on the wall. It reads 4 a.m. exact. War starts now, sunrise as said in the legends from our ancestors. I gather the scouts and we creep over to the river's edge. We crouch behind the trees and I grab the binoculars.  I see assassins are assigned to different areas.

    "We have to take the river. Then we can cross. We have to get on their turf before they get on ours." I whisper.

"We can't beat their assassins, they are too powerful." A scout says.

    I sigh and put the binoculars down. The assassins are the weakest of the Easts military.

    "I'll do this, you guys renuvue and go give Coast Guard the all clear." I say.

    Time to do what you've always wanted. Spill your enemies blood. I watch the scouts follow my commands and I step out of the woods onto the line. The assassins spot me from the trees. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. When I open my eyes I can see water floating. Not floating. They are from the bodies of the assassins. It is kind of like seeing in infrared but instead of body heat it's water amounts.

    I hear laughs coming from the other side. "This is the West's sacrifice?"

    I flick my hand up in silence and I feel a bubbling sensation inside of me. Your powers are growing. I raise my hand and an exploding feeling in my heart pulls me back. Your thirst for power.

I close my eyes and when I open them I see how bright blue they are. A stream of blue light comes out from my hands and the water from the river rises. I push the water forward and in a stream I cause a flood. I hear the assassins start to scream. I keep one hand focused on pushing the water forward and with the other a gust of wind streams out of my fingers. I watch as the stream of wind wraps around the assassins throats. I pull them towards me and in a final flick of my hand I compact their bones into one another.

I make a terrifying recognition. If my powers have grown so have Bentleys. I put my hand down and the water hits the ground. Trees are out of the ground and streetlights are burnt out. The Coast Guard still is not here with their water support. I need to get across this river. I thrust my hands out to my sides and wind comes out of my hands. I thrust more power out and my eyes are consumed by a bright blue light. I summon more energy and start into a run. When I reach the edge I jump and I have enough of a boost that I make it to the other side.

    I land on my boots and look from left to right. I sense body water in groups but they are further through the woods. I look behind me. Wait for backup. I can't. I run into the woods and I am enclosed in trees and branches. I pull my sword out of its holder and I chop down the branches in front of me with one swift cut.