Chapter 15- Veronica's POV

12 days until the war.

Today is the day of my brain procedure. My powers aren't working. I walk over to Reins office and the government officials are there.

"Veronica, Maria was just talking about you." Rein says.

"Yes. About how the East sides power boy Bentley Jackson just went into a medically induced coma. His powers were not working and that could be bad. The only reason why he is alive is because you are Veronica. You were made to be like two peas in a pod. And so when your powers are faltering because of this connection, his powers are also faltering. So we are going to spread word about the new Blood Goddess. So that he won't die. We are going to do the dream link between you. So you will both be back to normal." Maria says.

"Okay. So this," I say pointing to my head. "is causing two people to die if the procedure doesn't work out. Bentley and I. So we have to make me as the Blood Goddess connect with Bentley for a second time."

"Correct." Maria says. "So we will spend your 2 days of bedrest making you sleep and connecting with him. We will make the software dress you up as the Blood Goddess."

"Let's get this procedure over with." I say.

"You will be in a sleepers coma." Rein says.

"Alright let's do this." I say.

"Come with me to the operation room. This brain procedure means we will have to shave your head to get to the brain. We have medicine that makes hair grow back in 20 days. The color will stay the same." Rein says.

I walk to the operation room with her.

"You know what to do, this is a long procedure so get comfy." Rein says.

I nod to her and lay down on the hospital bed.

"Anesthetic in 3... 2... 1." She says, pushing the mask down on me.

I close my eyes and let the darkness consume me.

I am wearing a black bodysuit and a blue and gold cape that goes over my shoulders. I am in the dream. I am the Blood Goddess. Around me is a villa. His villa. This is his dream anyway. I walk through the doors of his villa and see a table. Sit. I go and sit down. There is a sound of boots on the floor. I look up and see him. Dressed in the glory of his capes. The Blood King. Shake his hand. I stand up and stare at Bentley. I put my hand out and he takes it.

"I am only doing this because you are the only way to save me before this war." He says.

"Okay. Let's chat." I say. He extends his arm and I take a seat at the table.

I catch his cold gaze. I never realized he could be so cold. He never looked at me with that gaze.

"Who are you?" He asks.

"You might not know who I am but I know everything about you. I am the one who takes you down." I say folding my hands together.

"Oh really? You know everything about me?" He asks, smirking.

"Bentley Jackson age 21. Sisters name is Farren she got pregnant at age 18 with your nephew Grahm she is married to John. You killed your father with your powers. Your mom's name was Anabelle Hall. She was assasinated. You had a best friend named Chris but he died at age 12. You met Veronica at the masquerade ball. Your powers are earth and fire." I conclude. That is the information I got from talking to him all the time.

"And yet I have no recollection of who you are." He says.

"You don't need to know that. We will meet on the battlefield." I say.

"How long will you be here, in my dream?" He asks.

"In seven days you will be out of this coma. And in seven days I will be out of this dream." I say, smiling. "And other questions?"

"Do you have powers?" He asks.

In that moment right there I want to tell him that it's me, his friend Veronica! Don't compromise what we need to do. I grab an apple from the middle of the table.

"There were only two people in the world with powers. You and Veronica. I wasn't the lucky one." I say biting into the apple. "This is going to be one tough seven days. Can you show me to my sleeping chambers?"

"I will find out about you." Bentley says.

"Maybe. But I am better at hiding my true self. While you tell people. Some people are just not..." I pause looking for the word. True? Smart? Special. "... special enough, I guess."

"Special enough to know you?" He asks.

"I don't judge books by their covers." I say. "Anyway, since you're a king I have one question. I've seen the East's outside sectors, for the poor. It is nothing compared to the East's borders. Villas, clubs, hotels, money. While the poor sector has crumbled buildings, people on the streets, no jobs, no money. What are you going to do about that? Your father didn't care, he let us starve. And while you all got the glory he left us to rot. And gave us no way of earning money. Guards would whip us. Daily searches. There was a market that was the only way we survived and the guards set it aflame. So what are you going to do?" Shoot. I said us and not them. I'm supposed to be from the West.

"You seem to be very familiar with those sectors." He says, staring deeply at me.

"I read the archives." I say. My cheeks burn from the lie. Nobody can know my past.

If he uses his power on you, you must succumb to it. He can't know that you have powers. You are meant for the connection.

"Really? The archives in the West told you about the East?" He asks.

He looks at me. His red eyes are trying to make me tell the truth. I used to be cowering at those eyes. Like they would swallow me whole. But not now. Not when so much is at risk. I have millions of people's lives in my hands. The only people that will be cowering is the East. At my feet when I kill their leader and spill their blood. I need to come up with a lie. "The government has both the East and West archives." I say, swallowing the lie.

My heart skips a beat. Make it believable, Veronica. This is what you were made to do. I feel the air changing. The sound of the running water stops. I lock eyes with him and his eyes flash red. Good thing I am a good actress. I shrink down in my seat and pretend to be in pain. Good.

"I used to have a family member in the East. Their stories traveled with me and my family as on the special day we crossed over to the West." I say gasping. Nice lie. My truthful answer would be too close to my Veronica answer to him.

"Good answer." He says. His eyes stop flashing.

"I look forward to killing you on the battlefield." I say.