Chapter 18- Bentley's POV

5 days until war.

It's been two days since I saw the news. She revealed her powers in Nevada and the explosions happened. I assume she is going to duel Lenard for head position in the government. We are done with all the tactics and plans for the war. All of the planes and guns and ammo is all ready and distributed to all of the soldiers.

"What to do now?" I ask myself. I

No answers come to me. I get up from my desk and check the time. 5:53, dinner time. Today is my birthday. I am turning 22. I put on my capes and get downstairs. The soldiers are lined in my hallway and when I walk out they salute to me.

"Happy birthday sir!" Thorn says. "There is a charity ball going on in your honor right now and you are wanted in attendance."

"Thank you." I say.

Graham is sitting at the table with balloons tied to his chair. Farren is sitting next to him. We have had our feuds but I am over it. She is her own person. Today is a day to let the stress of war go and spend time with my nephew.

"Happy birthday uncle B!" Grahm exclaims.

"Thanks Grahm, we need to go to the charity ball." I say.

Farren is in a blue sparkly dress and Grahm is in a little tuxedo. I slide my sunglasses and grab my car keys. We sit in my car and I drive to the ball. Strobe lights light up the building and I pull up to where the chauffeur is. I get out of the car and hand him my keys.

"Enjoy your time sir." The chauffeur says.

"Thank you." I say.

We enter the building and it is crowded with people. Everyone's eyes darted to me and the cheers started. I wave and smile as I walk down the stairs. I grab a glass of whiskey with ice and I sip it. A woman with grey hair and red eyes comes up to me. Her eyes and facial features look just like mine.

"Happy birthday Bentley." The strange woman says.

"Do I know you?" I question.

She smiles at me. Her eyes are full of sadness. She looks like an aged version of my sister. "You look so much like your father did."

It hits me like a lightning bolt. "Mom? No it can't be."

Farren walks up to us with Grahm. "Who's this, Bentley?" She asks.

My glass breaks under my hand and whiskey drips onto my fingertips. I walk away from the woman. "Security throw her out! Freaking imposters these days." I wipe the whiskey off my hands with a rag.

"No wait! Bentley I still have the necklace!" She exclaims.

The necklace. "Wait." I put my hand up and signal at the guards to let her go. I see the sapphire pendant around her neck. The men passed it down to their wives for generations. I was the next to get it.

"How?" Farren starts, "We saw you die."

A tear falls down my mother's face. She brushes Farrens cheek and looks back at me.

"Your father." She starts, "was a man of riches and power. Our relationship was not what it looked like. Come with me to the back so we don't disturb the party."

Farren and I glance at each other and Farren leaves Grahm with one of the maids. We follow our mother into the back room of the ballroom and take a seat on the leather couches.

"Anyway, back to it. One day when you guys were young, I caught your father cheating on me. The maids begged me not to go into his room, but I did. He was cheating on me with my sister, Marla. We were twins and looked exactly alike. Hank claimed he didn't know it wasn't me but I found that they met up many times. And of course we had to keep it from you two. One day an accident happened and I was pregnant with my third child. Marla pushed me down the stairs in spite and jealousy and I had a miscarriage." A tear slides down my moms face. "Hank was furious and Marla was forbidden to see him again. And I was still mad at your father for cheating on me so I wanted to leave. I was planning on taking you two with me but you were with the Generals keeping you safe from Marla. Apparently Marla loved you father so much that she would do anything to get him back. So her and I came to make a plan since I wanted to leave. She dressed up like me and posed as me for weeks as I left. Then I heard of the assasination." My mother says.