Chapter 50

Waking up today was difficult. I felt worse than I have in a couple of days. My head feels cloudy and my throat aches. I could stay in my bed and sleep for the next week.

I look over my shoulder to find Hawk sleeping peacefully, sprawled out all over my bed, his red hair laying all over the pillow. He is shirtless with a pair of gray shorts on.

Oh, what this boy does to me. Four years ago I would have never thought I'd be sleeping in the same bed as Eli Moskowitz. The boy who worried too much, the boy who would never talk to a girl, was too embarrassed by himself. Now there's a completely different version of him in my bed.

Who knows where we'll be in five years. He could be in college, becoming a plastic surgeon while I'm fighting for my life in a hospital bed. I don't mean to make it sad but It could be my future. I don't want to drag him down with me.

Every day I feel us drifting and drifting. We both have too much going on that it feels like we're too much for each other. Maybe we love each other too much and it will be better....to let us go, let our relationship fade.

I force myself out of my thoughts and climb out of bed. Walking to the bathroom, I stand on the scale and write down the number in my notebook. Today starts the day my Mom makes me weigh myself every day to see if I lose any weight. It is one of the symptoms of my new stage of cancer and we want to make sure I don't lose too much.

"Write it down?" Mom asks me, standing at the door. I nod my head yes and show her the notebook. "Good. You need to leave in twenty or you'll be late for school." She starts to walk away but turns around, coming back. "Also, I know Eli's in your bed. Make sure he's up and ready to go soon." She says, annoyed.

She has never had a problem with him sleeping here unless I don't tell her. I didn't even expect him to stop by last night.

Lots of things are stopping me from waking him. One, I don't want to talk about the other day, and two, I'm so stuck in my thoughts that I just want to avoid him and everyone in every way possible.

I walk into the kitchen, dumping all the medication I need into my hand and tossing them into my mouth.

"Let me see" Mom creeps out from behind. I turn around, opening my mouth to show her. "Great." She smiles.

I groan, "You don't need to be my babysitter. I am taking care of myself".

"After everything going on with you recently, yes I do," She says and walks away into her bedroom. I roll my eyes and make my way to mine.

Eli is still sprawled all over the bed, knocked out. I walk over to him, running my fingers through his hair and rubbing his shoulder.

"Eli get up. We need to leave soon" I tell him.

He groans, "five more minutes" he mumbles.

I laugh, "Come on, get up" I throw a pillow at him and walk out the room, sitting down at the table.

Ten minutes later, he makes his way into the kitchen, kissing the top of my head. "Good morning," he says.

"Good morning" I answer back.

"What are you doing?" He pours himself a cup of coffee.

"Just going through my phone."

"Is something wrong?" he asks me, examining the look on my face.

"No. All good" I quickly say and get up from the table, making my way to my bedroom.

"Lillian what's going on?" he follows me down the hall but I shut the door early enough and lock it before he can come in. "Is it about yesterday?" he says through the door.