Chapter 18

Hawk picks me up and we run over to where Miguel is laying. Tory, Hawk, Sam, and I all surround him. He has bruises all over his face, his leg laying the opposite way. The way his spine cracked on the railing will haunt my ears forever.

"We need an ambulance over at West Valley," an officer says into their radio. He shoves me to the side to get out the way. I fall to the floor and just sit there watching. They send everyone one home for the day but they call everyone's parents in for everyone who was in the fight, including mine. I feel numb, I can't manage to get myself to stand up. It's like my
legs have fifty pounds of cement laying on top of them.

"Lillian you need to get up. Come on" Hawk says as he lifts me by my waist to stand me up. He walks me to the locker room and we both sit on the bench. We both just stare blankly at the lockers.

"what if he's dead" I spit out.

"he's not dead. He's one of the strongest guys I know. He'll push through." I lay my head on his shoulder out of habit. Out of everything going on today and last night, the fight with him is the last thing on my mind. He responds back almost immediately and lays his head on mine.

"I'm partial to blame for Miguel" Hawk lifts his head up and looks at me confused. "Tory told me she had a plan but never said what it was. All she said was when I hear her, to come find you". Tears drop down my cheek. "If I knew she was going to do this I would have told Miguel."

"Exactly you didn't know. Don't say you're to blame. Robbys the one who kicked him off that ledge not you, me, Tory, or even Sam. Robbys to blame" I nod. No one knows where Robby left, he ran off somewhere.  Some teacher comes in and drags us to the office where both of our parents are and .... my fucking dad.

"What the hell" I blurt out when I stop at the door. He isn't really my father but I thought he was for most of my life. He must have been on my emergency contact list along with my mom.

My mom looks at me blankly. "Why is he here?" I ask.

"The school called him" Mom admits.

"When I got the call I was worried and wanted to check on you. I know haven't been ther-"

I cut him off, "Exactly you haven't been there. So don't think that now all of a sudden you can act like the perfect fake father and see me now. You're a joke." I pause and look at my mom "I'll be in the car" I turn around and walk out the doors. I can't believe he showed up. After years of never hearing back from him and finding out he started a new family and he shows up for this. He may not be my real father but I always thought he was. Hawk didn't follow me and I'm glad he didn't. I want to be alone. I'm sitting in the passenger seat of my mom's car sobbing. The tears just keep coming and I have no control of it. These have been the worst 24 hours ever.

The passenger door to the car opens. I look up to see my mom. She wraps her arms around me and pulls me into a tight hug. I cry into her shoulder and she just tells me it's going to be ok. I hope so. I look up and out of the corner of my eye, I see Mrs. Moskowitz and Hawk walking over to us. She comes over and hugs me. She's always been a second mom to me.

"I'm so sorry honey. If you both want to come over tonight for dinner you're more than welcome to" She says. I nod and look at my mom, "We'll skip the doctors today. Well be there around 6, thank you" Mom says and walks over to the driver's side. Mrs. Moskowitz tells her son something and she walks to the car. He walks over to me and grabs my hand.

"If it makes you feel any better I meant what I said earlier. I know I'm not your favorite person right now but I do love you," he says and kisses my hand. I hug him and lay my head on his shoulder. "I know you do." I can't say it back. It's not that I don't love him it's that it's not the right time. We pull away and he walks to his car.

After everything happening last night, the fight, Tory, Miguel, Hawk, and now my dad. All I want to do is sit on a beach and be by myself. Maybe I should go see Johnny. Although I'm so pissed at him, he always made me feel better.