Chapter 4

Why am I not surprised, We're not dating, but he confessed his feelings for me? I guess it was just all a joke.

Suddenly I breathe heavily, my chest pounded and I fall to the sand.

"Get my bag!" I yell at Demetri as much as I could. I cough into my hand and see blood all over it.

"FUCK!" I sob and yell into my hands.

"Lillian! Here, take it!" Demetri runs over and gives it to me. He sits down next to me, hugging me. I look up to see a blue mohawk running up to me.

"What the fuck happened?!" The boy with the mohawk asks concerned. At this point I want nothing to do with him, He's nothing to me. I don't know him, he's a stranger.

"Get away from me!" I yell at him which ends up in a cough. "What the hell is going on Lillian?!" he asks.

"She's sick Hawk! This is what she's been keeping. She has lung cancer!" Demetri screams at him.
I continue to sob into my hands, angry that he told him my secret. I just want to go home.

"What is he talking about, Lillian?" Hawk looks at me blankly.

Finally, I've calmed down a little and have enough energy that I can stand up. I look at both of the boys staring at me, confused.

I walk away, and Hawk follows me yelling my name. I continue to walk and call an Uber to pick me up. My mom can't see me like this.

"Lillian stop! What the hell is going on! Is that why you have all of those doctor's appointments and is this what you meant when you said I'd find out all of it soon?" he yells and cries.

I turn to face him. "What do you want me to say, Hawk. That I'm sorry I didn't tell you and that everything Demetri said is right? I'm sick!" tears stream down my face.

"Wh- why didn't you tell me. I'm your best friend! I shou- should have been there for you. I should have known my best friend has fucking cancer!"

"Because I don't want your fucking pity! and I'm not your best friend anymore so it's not for you to worry about." I look behind him, "oh, sorry you should really get back to your girlfriend behind you. Looks like she's waiting for you."

He looks at me, confused. "Lillian-" my Uber finally pulls up. I open the door to the Uber and turn back to look at Hawk. He has tears streaming down his face, obviously upset. I shake my head and climb into the car.

On the way home, my phone blows up with calls and texts from Hawk, Demetri, and Miguel. I decide to ignore them. I just want to go home and go to sleep and act like all of this isn't happening.
Tomorrow is the tournament, so I can confront them there. Right now, it's all a dream.

As we pull up to my house, I thank the driver and get out. As I'm walking to my front door, I see Mrs. Moskowitz's car is still there. I look into my camera on my phone to make sure I look ok and that I don't look like I was crying. My eyes are all red and puffy. Great.

As I walk into the front door, both my mom and Mrs. Moskowitz are sitting on the couch.
"Oh hello dear, how was the party?" Mom asks.

"It was good. I'm tired, I'm going to bed. Goodnight Mrs. Moskowitz. Goodnight mom" and I walk away fast enough that they can't say anything back. I can hear them whisper, but I'm not close enough to hear what they're saying.

I skip taking off my makeup and just climb into bed. I shut my phone off all the way and place it under my pillow. I lay in my bed and just stare at the ceiling. I will not be able to sleep being this upset.

My room has a balcony from my window, so I normally sit there when I'm upset. I lift my blankets off of me and get out of bed. I head to the balcony and sit down outside. I have stained tears on my face and I'm no longer crying. I just sit and think.

How could he do this to me?
Was I really just a game to him.
We weren't dating, but we were talking.
What will he think of me now that he knows?
Is he mad I didn't tell him?

20 minutes later a knock at my door interrupts my thoughts," Lillian, can we please talk" it's Hawk. I get up to open the door and when I see him he looks fine, with no stained tears, no puffy eyes but a stain of red lipstick stain on his lips. The color that Moon was wearing. I shake my head and shut the door on him.

"Lillian, please. I'm so sorry" I turn around and sit back on the balcony.
I hear the door open behind me shit I forgot to lock it. He walks over and the next thing I know; he sits down next to me. I give in and lay my head on his shoulder. I'm so upset, I don't care. He looks at me, surprised, and lays his head on mine.

"Let me talk first," I demand. He nods, and I continue.
"You told me you liked me. Then I see you making out with her. What the actual hell!"
"Lilli-" he starts.

"I'm not done." I lift my head up." you know how embarrassing it is to be the girl who's sick? Everyone pity's you. I didn't need that from my two best friends. I had it figured out, I had it all figured out. It was getting better, so I didn't think I would need to tell anyone because it would all be over. Until that night I started coughing up blood and had severe chest pains. That's what my doctor's appointment was for the day we hung out." I pause and take a breath. "It's getting bad again. I had my first round of chemo a couple of days ago and I get my second round next week sometime." I end it there.

"I- I'm so sorry Lillian. I'm going to be there to support you from now on as much as I can, ok? I just have a question. Why did Demetri know before me?" he asks.

"I didn't tell him about it first. When I took him home from your house, he said he knew I was sick. That he saw me cough up blood. He basically added it all up. So I just came clean. I promise you I wanted to tell you, I just didn't want you to worry, and it's nothing to worry about now."

"I'm still upset you didn't tell me about it. But as long as you're ok, I'm ok. Now let me explain," I scoff and roll my eyes. He continues, "I don't have a crush on Moon, she sat down in front of me and all of sudden kissed me. I'll admit I didn't pull away. I was drunk. I wasn't thinking and I'm so sorry. I instantly regretted it, I promise you. I don't expect you to forgive me but I do really like you, I didn't lie and eventually, I really want to be your boyfriend" He said sincerely. I knew he wasn't lying by the look on his face, but I still wasn't ready to forgive him. He hurt me.

I lay my head on his shoulder and he kisses my forehead. "I really am sorry Lillian."

"I know"

He lays his head on mine, and we sit there together in silence. I catch him staring at me at some points, and I smile.

"Please go back to calling me Eli, Lillian," he says.

"Ok Eli" I reply.

I end up falling asleep with my head on his shoulder. I'm so thankful for him. He may have hurt me, but he's been my best friend for so long and I can't hold something like that against him. I love him so much, not in a relationship way but in friendship. I hope he knows that.