21. Epilogue (Part 1)

Leo's POV

I twisted the ring around my finger absentmindedly. I still didn't know why after all this time, I continued to wear it. My monster fighting days were over, and once the world was saved, Nico left. He said it was something important in the Underworld. Well, it must have been very important, because I hadn't seen him since. He said he'd come back soon. It's been five years.

I was sad, of course, when I realized he was gone for good. I heard rumors about him and some guy named Will, but I was certain that if he wasn't in the Underworld, he'd at least visit me. It's been lonely without him. I live in the mortal world now, but I see Percy and the gang occasionally. I think he's still dating Annabeth, but I've also heard rumors about him and Jason.

I've tried to date other guys, I really have. None of them were right for me, though. I'm convinced that Nico is still the only guy for me. Too bad I'll never see him again.

Nowadays I just feel numb. Not quite happy, not quite sad. Just existing. I've gotten back into my self-harm habit. It helps me not feel as numb.

I continue to fiddle with the ring. It really is beautiful. Just like the person who gave it to me.

I hear the doorbell ring, but I ignore it. No one ever visits me anymore.

It rings again, so I stand up and slowly walk over to the door. I open it.

It's been a while, but I would recognize that baby bat wing hair anywhere.

"Nico!" I exclaim, hugging him tightly. He's still super skinny. I wonder what he's been doing.

"Oh, Leo, I'm so sorry I was gone so long, you must hate me," he says quietly, hugging me back. "Hades wanted me to do some stuff, and he said it wouldn't take long, but everything went wrong and I'm so sorry..."

I silence him with a kiss. "Hey, it's alright," I whisper. "You're here now, right? Isn't that what matters?"

"I guess," he says quietly. I notice that he's still wearing his 'I <3 Leo' bracelet.

I hold out my hand, showing him the ring. "A promise is a promise, right?"

His eyes widen. "Leo...I thought you would've found someone else by now, I mean...what a horrible boyfriend I am for abandoning you. Are you sure you even want to marry me?"

I just laugh and nod. "Of course I do. That is, if you want to marry me."

"Oh, Leo...I will always want to marry you."

~~~~~~~~~~
Hey, everyone! It's been a while. I thought about it for a long time and decided that there wasn't much I could do with this story, so it's going to be ending soon. I love all of you and I'd like to thank everyone who has made it this far. I honestly never expected to have so many readers, and I'm truly grateful.

With love,
Lucas