Nineteen: Testing The Waters

It's the small victories that really count, Jungkook believes.

Such as getting back at your roommate for dragging you away from a perfectly entertaining event, just because she was salty.

And oh he definitely managed to successfully get on her nerves in return.

It was all just fun and games, until he realized that his idiotic move had actually made her nervous - now, he'd love to believe that she was just nervous because she'd been into it (which would be amazing too), but there was always the possibility that she was nervous because he scared her. And dear god, did he not want that.

It was just really hard to know what exactly her shaking hands had meant in that moment in front of the entrance door, and Jungkook did not have the balls to bring it up.

"And you're sure that it'll be fine with all the heavy rain?" A worried voice currently chimed through the phone, referring to the plans they had made for Jee.

Something about taking him to the Aquarium, because apparently the poor boy had no friends.

"We won't be outside for any longer than necessary." Jungkook assured. He was getting a little tired of it, since he'd said the exact same things to Jee's mother before already, not that fond of repeating himself.

"But he's a kid! He's more fragile than you, Jungkook!" His eyes travelled over to Y/N, who'd just entered the kitchen, tiredly rubbing her eyes while putting the ten cups she'd stored inside her room throughout the past weeks into the dish washer.

"It's gonna be fine Miri-ssi, I promise." The man rolled his eyes, glad that the woman couldn't see him. His roommate froze on her spot.

"Look, Y/N just got up, do you want to talk to- no?- okay, sheesh, I get you don't." Said girl slowly turned her head to increasingly nervous Jungkook, "...Yeah, uhm, okay. Yeah. Buh-bye then-" His roommate's mother hung up on him, leaving him in the deafening silence of Y/N just staring at him.

"What the fuck is your business with my mom?" She looked at him incredulous, eyeing the phone in his hand skeptically, as if it's just been used for a plot against the government.

"Chill out Bambi, we weren't talking about you." Jungkook lifted his hands defensively.

"THEN WHY THE FUCK WERE YOU TALKING TO MY MOTHER?!"

"You calm down, I was telling her about our weekend plans, prick." 

"WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?" 

In retrospect, it was a little weird that he was having casual phone calls with his roommate's mom.

"Hey, hey," Jungkook wrung his head for a less embarrassing explanation than the simple fact that he'd gotten along pretty well with Miri (and may or may not feel safe around this person that had shown herself to be more of a mother figure than his own has ever been), "I was just... worried about the trip? You know, because of your anxiety around people and shit..." Damn he was getting good at these things.

Her face softened, gently surprise hidden behind her eyes, as her shoulders slumped down slightly, "About that... I asked Hoseok if he wanted to join us?" She sounded equally embarrassed as how Jungkook felt after having lied to her like that.

"Oh. Sure." He cleared his throat, "Makes sense." He remembered Hoseok telling him about how he'd been the one to support her after what happened to her in High School. He'd just kind of really looked forward to spending time alone with Jee and her.

"So you're fine with it?"

"Why wouldn't I? It's not like I could change your mind even if I wanted to."