Chapter 7

PICTURE OF SMARTIES ON THE SIDE

 I slammed the door as hard I could and huffed. "Stupid ass criminal." I murmured and jumped onto the bed. I knew it was only a matter of time before he came wildly pounding on the door demanding to be let in and thought I was escaping. Just as I closed my eyes, I heard a knock on the door.

"Cora, open the door." He sighed tiredly. When I didn't reply he knocked harder. "Cora please, I'm only doing what's best for you."

"What's best for me? What's best for me is to get the hell out of here but that clearly isn't going to happen. Go away!"

He growled and started to ram the door, likely with his shoulder. "Cora! I'm not kidding around!"

"Who said anything about kidding?" I yelled back angrily. 

He continued to knock and bang and shout and demand while I just sat there numbly. Colton finally made his way in and my eyes went wide and I stook up quickly. How many doors is this idiot going to have to break before he realises they're there to block things from eachother?

He glared at me, and I gulped, looking down at my feet. "Can't you just leave me alone for one night? How could I possibly get out of this room without you knowing?" I asked him and he shook his head. "I won't take my chances."

"You are the one who forced me to come up here!" I shouted, and he looked me down, warning me not to raise my voice at him, reminding me who was in charge. "Well, now I am up here with you."

"Whatever then." I mumbled, getting back on the bed and lying so I wasn't facing him. I heard him moving the door, but I didn't dare open my eyes. I just waned to ignore him, and ignore this stupid place.

_____

 I woke up at about 1 o'clock and have been awake since. The time was 3 o'clock. Colton lay next to me, and as I watched him sleep it gave me time to think. He had to be in a gang of some kind. He had to be. The words he uses, the recklessness he has, both only lead to him being in a gang. I crept out of the bed. Colton stirred and I paused, before making my way downstairs. I could escape. Colton hadn't even woken up. I stood there and thought about it. The door was right in front of me, so why couldn't I do it? I shook my head tiredly and walked into the kitchen. 

As I was pouring a glass of water, I heard loud thuds coming down the stairs. I rolled my eyes. He was going to go wild now. I watched him open the front door and look out, and I couldn't help but giggle. His head snapped to where I stood with a glass in my hand and he looked at me in anger. "What the hell are you doing?" He asked. 

"Um, getting a drink. Obviously." I said, waving the glass around. "Just get back upstairs." He growled, and I sipped the rest of the water slowly. I was testing him, I knew that. I wanted to see how far I could push him. When he rolled his eyes at my behaviour, I knew my answer. Why wasn't he hurting me? Why didn't he care when I didn't listen to him? Why the hell was I here?

I put my glass into the sink and he walked behind me as we walked upstairs. I jumped back into the bed and shut my eyes, hoping I would be able to sleep now. Colton got in beside me, keeping a healthy distance away.

"You can't fight it forever, you know?" He whispered into the darkness.

"I can try." I whispered back, almost in defeat.

_____

Like every morning, Colton was gone when I woke up and like every morning, either Smarties or Stacy was at the house. Sometimes both. "Good morning." I mumbled as I walked into the kitchen.

Smarties looked up at me with a mouth full of cereal and grinned, causing milk to fall from his teeth like a waterfall. I giggled and poured myself some orange juice.