Chapter 19

I looked at the phone that rested on Colton's desk.

It was now or never.

I didn't care that I was betraying him, all I wanted to do was hear the sound of their voices. Cody, he wasn't enough. I missed my whole family, not just him.

I missed the way I could so freely talk to my mum, as if she were my best friend. I missed the way she would annoy the hell out of me until I talked to her, or how she had to remind me every 10 seconds to clean my room or clean up the bathroom after I use it. 

I missed her laugh or the way she would smile even though she was missing a tooth. I missed her snoring, which let me tell you, is a huge sign since it was so loud.

I missed my dad the most.

He was such a quiet and reserved person, but I knew from the way he would look at me and treat me that I was his world. 

He supported me with every decision I ever made and he never hit me, no matter how angry he got.

He reminded me of Colton in a way. He was really big on the whole respect thing. You always had to say hello and goodbye, you always had to talk to him when he talked to you, you couldn't raise your voice at him but he treated you with the same respect.

He was an equal.

But, when I left, not everything was perfect between the three of us. Things were getting worse and worse between us because my behavior was getting worse, Sure, I didn't drink or do drugs anymore, but that didn't mean I didn't go to parties or stay out late every night. 

It didn't mean I wasn't any less of a brat. In fact, if it's even possible, I was an even bigger brat than I am now.

That then leads into question what Colton told me that day; they were sending me to boarding school.

It sounded exactly like something they would do because no matter what great parents they were, they had their faults. Like the fact they were both so impatient.

The phone was staring straight through me.

Did they even want to talk to me?

They think I ran away, left them and Cody.

Don't be such a wimp Cora.

I took a deep breath.

Before i could even yell at myself further, I picked up the phone and dialed the all too familiar number.

Ring ring

please pick up

ring ring

please don't pick up

That way at least I could say I tried.

"Hello?"

Her voice was dull and the life that once filled at was gone. She didn't sound like my beautiful mum. She sounded like a stranger.

The breathing on the other side of the line picked up. Or maybe it was my side of the line. I couldn't speak. I couldn't think.

I was choked up and honestly, I had no idea what I was suppose to say. Suppose to admit.

What had I done wrong?

"Cora hunny, is that you?" She whispered. I could hear her hopeful tears.

And then I cried too. I was rasping for air, trying so desperately to cling to her voice. She was so far away.