37.

My blood went cold. Ice shot through my veins as she continued to use his first real name so casually as if she knew him the way I did, while telling me Evan is being taken care of instead of telling me where he is.

Amusement filled her eyes. It took every ounce of calmness I had left inside of me not to tear her to pieces.

I could feel Victors gaze on me. Burning as he watched us go back and forth.

"Let. Me. See. His chart. Now." I said through clenched teeth.

Savannah shrugged. I could tell by her smug smirk she has a new game to play with me. I'm in no mood to play along. I'd rather smash her head.

Violence isn't the answer but when it comes to Savannah, it seems to be the only solution.

"You text me to come to the hospital to only piss me off and not even tell me what the hell happened? Why Evan even ended up here? Quit your games and tell me."

"You wanna know so bad. Come see him for yourself"

"I don't think that's a good idea" Victor finally steps in. His hand rests on my shoulder but my eyes don't shift to him. They remain glued on the snake in front of me.

"Why didn't anyone call me when he was brought in?"

Savannah snorts. "Because I'm here. The mother of his child" she placed enough emphasis on that last part to make sure it would hit a nerve. "His sister is here and so are his friends, why would we have to call you?"

Every word sliced through me. Maddie is here? And his friends? Eddie? Why did nobody reach me?

"Stella, it isn't good"  my eyes finally turn towards Victor as he speaks. "The injuries were quite bad, I wasn't sure how he made it but he did. But..." his voice trailed off. His eyes shifted to Savannah.

"But what?" I push. No one in this place has allowed me into his room since I arrived to the hospital. The only people who weren't here were the people I actually needed. Gigi was no where to be found. Neither Amanda nor Mazzey. They would've told e right away what was happening.

Everyone else has been staring at me with such sadness in their eyes as if he had died. Even Tyler seemed uneasy as I walked in, cowering behind the counter.

It felt like seeing a ghost when my eyes landed on him reading over a patients chart all the while whispering something to one of the nurses. He seemed to master the art of not being seen as much as he possibly could when we all worked, avoiding all our hang out spots and keeping conversation minimal if we run into each other. But they all looked at me the same. As if I didn't make it on time. And it was starting to boil my blood.

"Enough with the bullshit I'm growing very impatient. What the hell is going on?" My own voice catches me by surprise but I'm too angry to even care. "Let me see him!" I demand.

"I think you should wait a few days to see if maybe"
"If maybe what?" I cut Victor off.

Something flashed in his eyes but he instantly recovered before I could tell what it was.

"Stop smirking or I swear to god Savannah I will wipe that miserable-"

Victor let out a sigh of relief when I didn't finish that sentence. I didn't get to before someone had called my name.

"Stella?"

My head whirled around and met Maddie's stare down the hall. And just behind her through the open door I spot everyone from the fire station along with Athena. The pain behind her eyes made my body go stiff.