there's something on his mind.

back at UA High, many students are being taken care of in the infirmary. others are in their dorms trying to sleep or relax, some are outside training, and the majority are in the lunch room eating their hearts out in spicy noodles and rice cakes.

"great work today, students." korosensei says eagerly whilst patting midoriya on the back, causing him to choke.

"uh, yeah, thanks." he says in between coughs.

"karma seems happy to have his nagisa back." iida points out, as they all turn to look over at karma, smiling and speaking more in the past 10 minutes than he had the entire time he'd been at UA.

"yeah, but guys, have any of you seen kenji recently?" midoriya asks nervously

"come to think of it, no i haven't." uraraka replies, putting her finger on her chin while she thinks.

"not in a few days." iida chimes in, "why?"

"it's just that... well, i saw him the other day. the first time in days. and he was acting very... strange. it was weird. it didn't seem like him. the usual him that we're used to. i'm worried he's not as innocent as we think he is. what if he's up to something?" midoriya flashbacks to the events that unfolded the day before, the dangerous look on kenji's face, as if he's completely gone and no longer the brother izuku thought he was. and for a split second kenji catches midoriya staring at him, his face frozen like a deer in headlights. pale, gaunt and down right horrifying. midoriya shudders and shakes his head trying to get the image out of his brain.

"calm down, deku!" uraraka laughs, not taking him seriously.

"yeah, seriously, you worry too much. i'm sure he's just popped out to take care of some things and he'll be back soon. he's not exactly a student is he? so he's probably got a lot of stuff on his mind. you're just paranoid after the whole shigaraki ordeal because it was a massive shock and now you don't know who to trust. but trust me, it's ok." iida reassures, patting izuku on the back as if he's 7 years old.

"right." midoriya replies, unconvinced. as much as he loves his friends, he doesn't listen to a word they ever say. he knows he should trust his instinct, for it's been the only thing that's never failed him.

——————————————————-

during training, midoriya receives a sudden text message.

it's from, his mother?

it reads: "hi son, how are u doing? hope UA is treating u well. but i really miss u. u should come over for dinner. i'll make ur favourite! 😋"

"huh? that's random." midoriya scowls, scratching his head in confusion whilst furrowing his brows.

"oi, dickhead! you're up!" kacchan taunts, as he makes his way of the field.

midoriya places his phone in his bag and heads off to training, not realising that in the hour he trains he misses 15 calls from his mother.