Chapter Nineteen

I don't know how Hayley convinced me into this. "That's it. Inhale and Exhale." Eve, Hayley's friend was preparing me for when I'd have to give birth, which would be happening soon.

"You know when I studied medicine, I always thought I'd have an epidural and be in a hospital when ever I'd give birth." I joke to her and Hayley.

Hayley and Eve laugh a bit. "Honey, the werewolves have been having babies here since before you were born. Stop worrying." Eve reassures me.

"Okay, but I'm not a wolf. Should I be a bit concerned?" I question as I sit up.

"So? People here aren't wolves and have given birth to wolves. They're all fine and so will you be." Eve tells me with a smile.

Hayley pushes herself of the wall and joins our side, holding her hand out to help me up. "You'll be a natural at that and at being a mom." she reassures me.

I smile at that, "Thanks, I hope so." I say, placing a hand on my baby bump.

"You'll know exactly what to do." Eve says as she stands.

"Pardon the interruption." Elijah's voice comes from the door way. We all look to him. "I wonder if I might have a quick word with the conspirators of a supposed uprising." Elijah requests.

I look to Hayley confused and see her also a bit confused and concerned. Hayley leads all of us to another place, getting Jackson and Oliver on the way as I join to be a witness, and make sure no death hopefully happens. 

"You're making a grave mistake." Elijah demands at the two males.

"So, you're just worried about us. Is that it?" Oliver asks.

"Look, Elijah. We know all about your brother's reputation, but if there is even a chance that those rings can help us take control of our curse-" Jackson begins to explain.

"Our gift." Oliver cuts in.

"Then, honestly, we don't care what he's really after. Won't have to." Jackson continues.

Elijah begins to remove his coat as begins to scold them, "I see. There are those in the Quarter who will consider this a great provocation." Elijah says.

"Apparently, most of them sees us breathing the same way." Oliver comments.

Elijah turns to Hayley, who was across from me, leaning on one of the polls like I was. "You signed a pledge, and you looked in the eye as you did so." Elijah says to her.

"We don't want a fight, Elijah." Hayley tells him genuinely.

"They just want a better life. You can't fault them for that." I bring up.

Elijah looks between the two of us for a moment. "Allegiance with my brother will guarantee you anything but." Elijah warns.

The loud noise of an engine rips through the air. "What the hell?" Jackson says, looking at us confused. He exits, Elijah following close behind Oliver. Hayley and I stare a confused look, as the noise gets closer. 

We follow the three, seeing a guy on a motorcycle pull into the community. "Which one of you is in charge?" the man asks as the 3 approach him.

"Who's asking?" Jackson questions.

The man looks to Elijah, a smirk on his face. Suddenly an explosion happens out of no where. Hayley was quick to cover me, and Oliver covers her as we're all blown back from the blast.

My ears ring as I try to get a bearing of my surroundings. I sit up, and hear muffled noises. I look to my side and see Hayley and Oliver, both looking to me concern. I see Hayley say something, but it comes to me muffled. I nod slowly, thinking she's asking if I'm okay due to the worry in her eyes.