Chapter Fourteen

"Clara! Hayley!" Elijah's voice calls out gaining out attention. We quickly go to find him, starting with the study, lucky for us he was there.

"Elijah! You're back. Did you find any..." Hayley starts speaking before we fully enter the room, she stops short see that Elijah was shirtless and covered in tattoos. "Thing?" she finishes confused.

"What's  happening?" I ask, referring to the tattoos that covered his skin.

"I need you two to make a list of these names." Elijah tells us.

Hayley and I step closer to see the names, "Sabine? Elijah what is this?" Hayley asks as she reads a name.

"I believe they represent the name of the women Celeste inhabited for the past two centuries." Elijah explains.

Marcel walks in and hands me paper and a pen. "It's called a Devinette. it's old school. Kind of a riddle. Witches use them to teach their kids. Solve it, and it disappears." Marcel explains further to us.

"Why? What's the point of it?" I ask, confused.

"Celeste forced me to make a decision between you two and my siblings, and now she means to mock that choice, taunting me with childish games. The longer the game, the more they suffer. To find Klaus and Rebekah, we need to solve this riddle. The solution lies somewhere in these names." Elijah explains to us.

"The name next to Sabine... Annie L Fleur, she's the witch that was shunned from her coven just over a year ago. Neve knew why, but I can find out." Marcel says to us.

Hayley and I quickly make lists of the names as Marcel leaves. After we got enough, Elijah puts on his shirt and leaves us to try and research the names of the witches we had written down.

Not to much later, Elijah calls me, and I put him on speaker as he begins to explain to us what had happened to Annie. "She killed herself?" Hayley questions shocked at what he had just revealed.

"Yes, drowned herself in the Mississippi, to be precise. Celeste was clearly tired of the body and ready to take Sabine's." Elijah tells us.

"How do you know that?" I ask him, as I write down what he had just told us.

"Because she leaped to her death from the very location Celeste and I had our first kiss." Elijah explains.

Hayley and I share an uncomfortable look, "Poetic, I guess." Hayley says a bit hesitantly, "in a creepy vendetta sort of way." she finishes.

"All these names, these lives, stolen that Celeste might take her revenge. I suppose we have no choice but to see where they take us. Clara, Hayley; I have to go. I'll call you back." Elijah tells us.

But Hayley was quick, "Elijah wait." Hayley says before he hangs up.

"What is it?" Elijah asks, as Hayley looks at the name list we had.

"Ask Marcel if he knows anything about a name on that list- Brynne Deveraux. Sophie said that it was her family bloodline that put the curse on the crescent wolves, but Celeste, she said that she was the only one that could break it. If Brynne Devereux was actually Celeste when she cast the spell, then maybe Celeste can still break it." Hayley tells him.

"I'll see what he knows." Elijah tells her.

I grab the phone, and take it off speaker to talk to Elijah, "Elijah, I'm really sorry that you're going through this. If I had known that Celeste was making you choose-" I try to tell him, but he stops me.

"Clara, you were going to die in that fire with Hayley and your child. There was no choice." Elijah tells me, then hangs up before I can respond.

I sigh and look back at Hayley, who was giving me a sad look, mirroring my emotion. Hayley continues her research, when I finish the last of the names when Elijah entered the study, "Hey, look, I found-" Hayley starts but he stops her.

"You were right about the Devereux witch." Elijah tells her.

Marcel joins us, "Find anything about Clara Summerlin, the mystery witch?" he asks us.

We shake our heads no, "Not much. She was a nurse at the Fleur-de-lis Sanitarium." Hayley tells him.

Marcel seems to freeze, a small look of panic crosses his face. "Recognize her?" I ask him.

Hayley turns the laptop to show us a picture of her with other nurses, "Top row, second from the right." Hayley tells us.

"No, I don't. Marcel?" Elijah says looking to the other vampire. Marcel looked more panic'd then before, "Marcel? Do I need to remind you that Niklaus and Rebekah are somewhere suffering horribly? If you know something, talk." Elijah demands.

"The Sanitarium. That's where you'll find them." Marcel tells us, sounding certain.

"How do you know? Are you sure?" I question him.

"I just know." he says not explaining.

"How do you know?" Elijah demands of him.

"If I'm right, you need to know exactly what we're walking into. We did something, Rebekah and I... I think the witches are trying to use it against her. It was uh... something that you're not gonna like," Marcel tells us rather panic'd and nervous.

Marcel explains to us that he and Rebekah back in 1919 had summoned Mikeal to New Orleans. "For a better part of a century, I have wondered how Father found us, what foolish mistake that we hade to destroy our time in the one place that we could finally call home. Did you know, I even blamed myself for a time, Marcellus?" Elijah scolds him.

"Elijah-" Hayley tries to get his attention but he wasn't done.

"Niklaus treated you like a son." he continues to tell Marcel.

"Rebekah, I loved her. I still love her. All we ever wanted was to be together, but as long as Klaus was around, that was never gonna happen. But hey, I guess you wouldn't know anything about that, huh." Marcel snaps back.

Elijah sighs, "When Klaus learns the truth, there will be no end to his rage. I will not let my sister suffer that wrath." Elijah says less aggressive.

"Then we need to get tot them before he learns the truth." Marcel urges.

We quickly leave the compound and head to the Sanitorium. Hayley told us she would wait for Celeste. "We should divide the building. We'll start at one end, you at the other." Elijah tells us. Marcel nods and speeds off. Elijah takes the lead and we enter and start to look for Nik and Rebekah.

Shouts and sounds of fighting echo through out the abandon Sanitorium, making it difficult to pinpoint where they were at. Eventually we find them down one hall. Nik was fighting with Rebekah and Marcel. Nik was about to stab Rebekah, but Elijah leaves my side to stop him.

I start to run over to them, "Nik!" I shout to try and get his attention. He looks my way for a second. And in that second, Elijah stabs Nik with the very blade he was holding. I push myself to run faster and fall to his side as Rebekah and Marcel leave.

________________________

1198 words

Vote

Comment

Share

Lots of Luv~ Snowflake