Chapter Nine

Nik had set up a dinner table in the Courtyard of the compound we were now staying in. He wished to celebrate his new return to leader of New Orlean. He had the vampires at the table and insisted that Hayley and I attend.

Nik was sat at the end of the table and Hayley and I sat at the other. I ignored the stares from the vampire army. I focus on Nik as he starts his speech.

"Let us begin with a toast to our shared gift; immortality. After a thousand years, one might expect life to be less keenly felt, for it's beauties and its sorrows do diminish with time. But, as vampires, we feel more deeply than humans could possibly imagine." Nik starts, he makes a gesture and many waiters and waitresses come out and walk to each vampire.

"Insatiable need, exquisite plan..." as he says this, the servants grab knives and move their wrists over cups, slitting them to fill their cups with blood. "Our victores, and our defeats." he continues.

Nik grabs his glass, raising it up to a toast, "To my city, my home again. May the blood never cease to flow..." Nik toasts.

Marcel was the next to raise his glass, "To New Orleans." he also adds.

"To New Orleans." Nik repeats, and everyone repeats and takes a drink.

I look away from them to Hayley, my stomach no longer feeling hunger due to the copper smell that now fills the air. Hayley places a hand on my arm as a form of comfort as we sit through their 'toast'.

"I understand that some of you may have questions regarding the recent change of leadership, and I invite you here tonight to assure you that you are not defeated. No, my intentions moving forward are to celebrate what we have. What Marcel, infact, took and built for this true community of vampires." Nik tells the group.

"What about her?" the vampire from before, questions pointing towards me, "And the wolf?" he adds, points towards Hayley.

"Had you let me finish, Diego, you would know that there is, of course, one further matter I would like address." Nik states, walking towards us. "As many of you know, this girl here is carrying my child. Consequently, I trust you will all pay her the appropriate respect. Along with the little wolf, she's an ally to protect her and the child. However, I understand that some of you are concerned by this vicious rumor that I intend to use the blood of our child to create hybrids. I assure you I do not." Nik tells everyone.

Hayley gives me a smirk, "Father of the year." she says sarcastically. I cover my mouth subtley, to muffle my laughter.

I glance at Nik and see him roll his eyes, showing that he had heard her. "It appears I still have to earn your trust. Very well, we'll eliminate the root of your anxiety. You see how can I sire hybrids if there are no more werewolves alive in the bayou to torn?" Nik tells her.

I look at him shocked, "What? Klaus, no!" Hayley says horrified.

"Nik please don't do this?" I ask of him. But both our pleas go ignored.

"So, eat, drink, and be merry. And, tomorrow, I suggest you have yourselves a little wolf hunt. Go ahead, have fun. Kill them all!" Nik tells the vampires.

------------------------

Hayley and I sneak down the stairs towards the side door. I was helping Hayley sneak out so that she can go save the wolves. I look around and see no one, gesture for her to go.

But before she could get out the door, Diego appears in front of her. "Going somewhere?" he questions.

Then Elijah appears behind him and throws him into a wall, successfully knocking him out. "Elijah, you shouldn't be here. Klaus has his guys watching us." Hayley warns him.