Chapter 27 - Attack of the Year

Criticism spot! :)

tw: lgbt slur (f slur) used.

Crutchie's POV

I stretched once I woke up, turning away from Jack to watch the sunrise. I was shivering from how cold I was, so I shifted back a little bit so I could be warmer. I watched as the sky began to light up, feeling Jack move around a little behind me. I felt him sit up a little, leaning on his elbow and kissing me on my head. I turned to look at him, a big smile on my face.

"Morning," I said, turning my body to him. He laid back down, brushing his hair out of his face.

"Morning," he yawned as he spoke, stretching and looking back at me. "You cold?" He asked, noticing that I was shaking. I nodded and he reached up behind me, grabbing a flannel and putting it over me.

"I'm always cold," I said, laughing a little. He laughed too, sighing.

"I really don't want to work today," he moaned, and I felt my eyes widen.

"Did I hear that right?" He laughed at me and rolled his eyes, stretching once more.

"Yeah yeah, shut up." He sat up and yawned again before standing up, grabbing our clothes. "Do you know what today is?" He said after a bit, buttoning his shirt up and facing me. I stopped getting dressed for a moment to think, but was still confused.

"Monday..?" I said, laughing.

"No, you've been here for a year." I froze for a second, realizing.

"No way," I said after a bit, continuing to dress.

"Yep!" He was done getting ready now and walked over to my crutch, waiting for me to finish buttoning my shirt.

"And I still can't walk," I mumbled, trying to stand up.

"Hey, don't be like that." He helped me up now, handing me my crutch.

"It's kinda hard to not be that way," I continued, heading over to the ladder.

"I know, but I'm just trying to help." He started down the ladder now, giving me a smile of pity. I didn't respond and just waited for him to get down, tossing him my crutch once he was there.

We walked in silence for a bit before he looked at me. I looked back and he turned forward quickly, looking upset. I didn't look away, however, causing him to finally turn back to me.

"I didn't mean to upset you," he said, talking quietly.

"Hm? Oh, no, Jack you didn't," I stopped walking to face him and he stopped as well, looking down. "I promise, you didn't. Really."

"It didn't sound that way," he looked up at me now, looking upset.

"It wasn't anything you did, I was just mad at my damn leg. Not you or anything you said." I smiled at him and he smiled back, and we continued to walk.

"You'd tell me if I upset you though, right?" He asked, putting his hands in his pockets.

"Of course."

Race quickly joined us, but Romeo and Specs weren't with him.

"So, is today a year since you've been here?" Race asked, walking next to me.

"Jesus, even you know that? I didn't realize until Jack told me." I jokingly rolled my eyes at Race, laughing.

"I've just got a great memory," he nudged me as we walked, going back to silence.

As we waited for our papes I started to shake a little again, freezing. Not to mention, my ankle was hurtin' bad from the cold. Jack looked at me while Race went on about something, noticing that something was wrong.