Chapter 15 - Six Months

Criticism spot! Vote for the story if you like it, and let me know what changes you'd like to see either in this story as I write it, or if you're reading once it's done, in future stories! :)

This chapter starts off with drama, but it eventually ends up being just cute moments. :)

Crutchie's POV

I woke up to movement, confused. Jack was getting up to get dressed, earlier than usual. I sat up and stretched, looking at him.

"Hey, what're you doing?" I said with my morning voice, yawning.

"I'm getting up early, you can go back to sleep," He looked at me, walking over and ruffling my hair.

"Nuh uh, I usually wake up around now." I stretched once more, scooting myself over to my clothes and beginning to change.

"Okay," he said, continuing to get dressed. "We have to change your wrap. Should I get Race?" He was finished now and walked over to me, looking at my ankle and then back at me. I nodded, wanting to get it over with. "Alright, give me just a minute." He started down the ladder, smiling at me.

"Wait," he stopped, looking at me. "If he's asleep though then don't wake him."

"Are you sure? I know he won't mind and he has to get up soon anyways-"

"No no, just let him sleep." I smiled at him, and he nodded, continuing down the ladder.

After a few minutes he returned, Race close behind. I could tell he had only just woken up, but he still gave me a big smile, climbing to the top of the ladder and onto the penthouse.

"Mornin', Crutchie!" He walked over to me, Jack handing him the new wrap.

"Hi Race," I said, smiling back at him. Jack sat down next to me, putting his hand out for me to grab again. I took it, my smile dropping.

"Does it hurt right now? I mean, with no pressure on it or anything?" Jack asked, rubbing his thumb against the back of my hand.

"Yeah. It hurts really bad, actually. Worse than yesterday. I don't know why," I kept looking at him, and he gave me a pity smile.

"Okay, ready?" Race looked at me, his hands above my ankle. I nodded at him, getting ready. The second he touched it, it felt like I was getting stomped on again. I screamed, squeezing Jack's hand for dear life.

"Stop, stop, stop," Jack said as I continued holding on. Race brought his hands back, covering his mouth.

"Did I move it wrong? I'm sorry," Race moved up to my other side, keeping his hands up. I shook my head, still gripping Jack's hand. Jack understood, but Race didn't seem to.

"You didn't, don't worry." Jack looked at him, then back at me. "Hey, tell me how bad it is." I turned my head to him, seeing how worried he looked.

"It feels like it's happening again," I sat for a moment, taking a few deep breaths. "I can't do this."

"Crutchie you have to cha-"

"Jack, I can't do this." I said, sternly. He kept looking at me, giving me another pity smile. He looked at Race who nodded and disappeared down the ladder. We sat silently for a moment and I let go of Jack's hand, letting it fall to the ground. I could feel that Jack didn't know what to say, if anything. "Go get your papes. I'll meet back up with you when I'm done selling." I kept staring toward to sky, frustrated.

"I'm not leaving you. You're not okay, and you need my help to get down the ladder anyway," He said, being nice as he always was to me.

"I can get down. It's fine. Just go." I looked at him, wanting to smile, but I couldn't.