Chapter 10 - Snyder

Criticism spot

Crutchie's POV

It had been a few days since Jack had told me about the refuge. I'm real happy that he told me about it, and I could tell that he was real happy to finally get it off his chest. For the past few nights, we didn't sleep on opposite sides. Since he told me we were at each other's sides. I woke up and felt his warmth against me. I brought my head back a bit to look at him, and saw that he was still asleep. I put my forehead against his chest again to hear his breathing.

We were there for a few more minutes before he shifted, trying to get up. He must've thought I was still asleep because of how delicate he was being, but I looked up and him and smiled.

"Did I wake you?" He said, smiling back at me.

"No, I've been awake," I stretched out what little bit I could without pain. Jack got up and got himself dressed, and came over to help me.

I looked at him as he helped me change my shirt, smiling.

"What?" He said, chuckling.

"I don't know." I answered, smiling even bigger. He started to check my chest and back to see how my cuts were healing, and then grabbed my new shirt. We were silent for a bit, and I just watched him as he walked around.

"How are ya feeling?" He asked as he finished getting himself ready.

"I mean, still a lot of pain... But I miss sellin'. Can I?" I looked at him, hoping that he would say yes.

"Crutchie you shouldn't..." He started, but then he looked at me, and I gave him a small smile to try and persuade him. "Ahg... Fine." He said, ruffling my hair.

I got my shoes on and Jack climbed down the ladder, and I soon followed. As we made our way to see the headline, I heard heavy footsteps making their way up to us from behind.

"Crutchie!" I turned around to see Race, arms out running at me. I smiled at him, and I was quickly overtaken by him hugging me. Of course he didn't know the pain I was in, and I flinched back as he held me. From over his shoulder I looked at Jack, who saw the look on my face and took action.

"Be careful, Race. He's still hurtin'."

"Oh right right, sorry Crutchie." He let go of me quickly, adjusting his shirt and smiling.

"It's okay," I smiled back at him as we continued walking to look at the headline.

We got up to see the headline, and it was boring as always. Some other fellas caught up with us and we started talking while we waited in line for our papes. As we got closer, I saw the Delancey brothers handing out papes to the fellas. I hadn't even thought about having to see em', I just wanted to get out of the penthouse. Since I had gone quiet so quickly, Jack turned to me to see what was wrong. After looking at me for a second, he turned to the Delancey's, and then back at me.

"Hey, how's about you go and sit down over there. Take some weight off your ankle. I'll get your papes." I nodded at him and began to dig in my pocket to give him the money, but he stopped me. "I've got ya, just go."

"Jack-"

"Crutch, go." He said, more sternly. A few of the fellas had started to listen to the conversation, and I had realized that they hadn't seen us act like that to each other before. I mean, they knew we were close, but it was still new, especially something like that.

I stepped out of line and went to sit where Jack had told me to. When he got up to Mr. Wiesel, I looked to see what would happen, if anything.

"Hundred papes today." He said, setting his money down. He walked over to get his papes, and the Delancey's rose an eyebrow at him.