Chapter 14

"Feiya? What are you doing here at this hour?"

The girl whipped her head around to see Xiao, his amber eyes peering at her through the moonlight. Suddenly his eyes widened, and then said softly, "Oh no, don't cry."

I was crying? Feiya thought. "Oh, I failed to notice."

Xiao sighed. "You can be such an airhead sometimes. What were you doing?"

Feiya turned her head to face the pond. "I-I had a bad dream, so I came here to cool myself down. But then I happened to think about something, and I started crying, I suppose."

"You suppose."

Realization then struck Feiya, causing her to whip her head around again and asked the adeptus, "Shouldn't you be slaying creatures? It's the middle of the night."

Xiao shrugged. "I killed a demon nearby, so I came to check on you, for it might have hurt you."

"I think I could manage, I did learn how to wield a weapon after all. Now that you have confirmed I am fine, you can go back to your demon slaying."

"You were just bawling your eyes out. Most likely not fine." Xiao kneeled down like Feiya was, and stared into the water with her. "Do you want to tell me about your dream? Or maybe what you were thinking just now."

Feiya hesitated on both. They were precious memories, one good and one bad, yet both weighing heavily on her shoulders. Feelings of regret and despair had settled on her chest because of them. Could she really just say them out loud just like that?

"Since you refuse to choose, I will do so for you. What was your dream?"

"Um, I don't feel the need to discuss it right now-"

"What was your dream?" Xiao asked, more fierce than before. He turned to face Feiya, his cold outer shell making Feiya feel slightly intimidated.

Feiya sighed. "Please don't tell anyone."

"You act like I have anyone to tell."

The girl took a deep breath and hugged her shaking knees. "My dream... was about the death of my father. I was eight, and there was a person who was talking to my mother outside. And then she... she started crying, so I went and hugged her. I still remember her face when she looked at me. Terrified, scared, hopeless. I still remember everything about that. It was so crystal clear. Three forty-seven in the afternoon. It had just been raining before the man came. I still remember the helmet that man held, my father's helmet. Bronze with blood smeared everywhere. And then... then my mother told me he had died. And... that's where it ended."

There was a small silence. The only sound was Feiya's quiet weeping under the dark sky.

Xiao awkwardly pat Feiya's shoulder. "Who was your father?"

The grey haired girl sniffed and wiped her tears. "He served as a general for the Qixing. He had no vision, but still powerful nonetheless. He often took his troops to fight the Fatui. Only one battle against them was his loss, the rest were his wins. And so, the Fatui launched a surprise attack on him one night, and successfully murdered him. That's what my mother told me." Feiya paused and smiled sadly. "You know, my father was once saved by you. That one battle he lost, he said you helped fend them off to take him to safety." She turned to face him. "Someday I will properly thank you for that."

Xiao looked at her with the usual cold eyes, though his heart was warmed by her wanting to thank him. "There is no need for a thank you, it was my job. I don't remember him, though. What was your father's name? Perhaps that will help me remember."

Feiya smiled, remembering her father's mighty laugh. "His name was Shouhei."

Xiao's amber eyes widened from hearing the name.

He then patted Feiya's head before disappearing, leaving a confused Feiya. She sat there in silence, looking into the water, before slowly nodding off to sleep.

That night, she slept next to the pond, the moon's reflection glimmering in the water.

As white and pure as milk.