Chapter 12

"I thought you said you would leave me alone," Feiya said, holding a cup of tea. She and Xiao were sitting on the familiar inn's blue tiled roof, enjoying the sunrise. It was two days since going to the pharmacy, and Feiya's burn was almost healed. Xiao was spending more time with her, and signs of improvement in terms of mental health was steadily improving. Feiya also no longer wanted a death wish.

"Baizhu said you needed to be around people to help your illness," Xiao replied, cleaning his jade spear.

"Verr is here. There are customers too."

"You know well you won't talk to them."

Feiya turned to face towards him, giving him a deadpan face. "Why are you here?"

Xiao held up his spear for inspection, its green tip gleaming as the sunlight hit it. "Are you going to Mondstadt? To look for the one named Albedo."

"Sir Yaksha, please answer my question. Why are you here?" The girl sipped her tea, watching a crane who caught her interest fly away.

"To keep you company, perhaps. I myself am not quite sure." He let his spear vanish.

Feiya had been watching him clean his spear until the crane came around. "You should be killing demons right now. It seems inefficient to be cleansing your weapon at such times."

"Demons don't usually like sunlight, so they stay in the shadows during morning."

"And what about hilichurls or fatui or such?"

Xiao shrugged. "There's always the millelith."

"The millelith are unable to land a mere poke on a boar." Xiao chuckled at this. Feiya handed him a cup of tea.

"Will you be going to Mondstadt?" The adeptus asked again, holding the teacup in his hands.

"Hmm. I am still thinking about the matter," Feiya said thoughtfully. A sudden breeze came, making her grey hair fall in front of her face. "Why do you ask?"

"Just wondering."

Feiya looked at him and smirked. "I bet because you will miss me if I do, no?"

Xiao sighed and frowned at her. "Was that a fake smile or no?"

"You really hate me smiling," Feiya pouted playfully. "I won't be smiling from now on then." She then grinned at herself before sipping her tea.

The adeptus looked up at the light blue sky. "Your personality can change so quickly."

"Is that so?"

"You just did it again." Feiya laughed. A real laugh. A laugh that showed how she was being joyful. Not a faked laugh like when a customer tries to humor her, or she chuckles at something she said herself. The first real laugh she had in a long time. Since four years to be precise.

"You don't laugh like that often."

"Who would have known, Sir Detective Yaksha."

"I would like to pass in terms of the nicknames, please."

"Of course. My apologies."

Silence.

Feiya suddenly stood up and brushed off the dirt from her pants. She looked down at Xiao. "You know, I have come to realize that spending time with you makes me feel at ease. I appreciate that."

Xiao stood up too, still holding his cup of tea. "I didn't do a single thing. I'm glad you enjoy my presence, though."

"Well then, shall we be friends?" Feiya asked, smiling. For once Xiao didn't bother to wonder whether it was fake or not.

"Pardon?"

The teenager sighed. "Friends. Liege, acquaintances, companion, familiar. Would you like to be one?"

"What a bold way to make friends."

"Would you know any better? All you have been doing is fighting mobs and coming here to eat tofu. What do you know about making friends?"

"I would be glad to accept you as an acquaintance."

Feiya's face immediately brightened. "Really? Thank you! I now have two friends. Two very good friends." she smiled and held out a hand for Xiao to pull himself up. "I am blessed with a good life."

Xiao smiled a small, soft smile. His very first friend. First acquaintance, first companion, first familiar. It was a joy he always saw, but never truly experienced.

The adeptus took the girl's hand.

A/N 

A lil cringy ahaha

Just needed to say that school is starting again so I might update less than before.

I'll attempt posting at least one chapter per week, but the uploading schedule may or may not turn into randomness. :3

Thank you kind stranger for the tolerance