Chapter 53

Trigger Warning: Violence

ℤ𝕒𝕟𝕖

"Did I say something I shouldn't have?" Alek asks.

Do you think?

"Why'd you have to bring up marriage in front of Ava?" I say.

"I mean, you already marked her. Is it really that unexpected of a question?"

"No, but..."

"Z already bought the bracelet," Kami says with a big smile.

"Holy shit, dude," Kieran says, nearly choking on his drink. "You told Kami but not me?"

I cover my face with my palm.

"I didn't tell Kami either," I say. "She found it in our apartment."

"Well, that's exciting!" Alek exclaims.

"Not if you ruin the surprise. I haven't had a chance to explain the bracelets yet, let alone figure out a way to ask."

"Sorry, I didn't know," he says with an apologetic grimace.

"It's alright, mate, I know you didn't mean anything by it. I re-"

I'm interrupted by a strange uncomfortable feeling in my chest.

Something feels wrong, but I can't tell why.

I look around the room to see if anything has changed or if anyone is watching me, but everything seems normal.

"You okay there, Z?" Kami asks, raising a questioning brow.

"Yeah, something just... uh... distracted me."

"Is everything okay with Ava?"

Shit. Ava. That didn't even occur to me.

I try to focus on what I'm feeling but can't quite make heads or tails of the sensation. I stand up to look for them and spot Finn standing in the corner outside the entrance to the restrooms. He catches my eye and gives me a curious look.

"What's going on?" he asks from across the club.

Where's Ava? Is she okay?

He pauses for a minute as his eyes glaze over before they shoot open.

What? Is she alright?

"No," he replies before flipping around and slamming through the double doors behind him.

Fuck.

I'm on my feet in an instant and take off running toward the restrooms.

𝔸𝕧𝕒

FINN! FUCK! HELP!!!

The door swings open, almost knocked off its hinges, and the man turns around with a shocked look on his face.

Finn appears in the doorway with his chest inflated and a concerned look on his face. As he stares at me pinned beneath the creep, his expression morphs into one of anger and disgust.

"What in God's name?" he huffs, walking toward us. "Are you okay, Ava?"

"We're just having a bit of fun," the creep says. "Tell him we're just having fun." He looks into my eyes with his hand still tight around my wrist.

Yeah, sure buddy.

"I found this guy intimidating some girl and he came after me instead," I shout, ripping my hand out of his grasp and pushing him back.