Chapter 33

𝔸𝕧𝕒

Morgan leads Finn and me to a secluded corner of the library, taking heavy steps with his shoulders hunched and his hands balled at his sides.

I have very little idea of what's going on, but Morgan seems pretty pissed at us.

"It'll be okay," Finn says through my mind. "Morgan is a bit of a grumpy blowhard but at the end of the day, he's a good guy. Remind you of anyone?"

Now that you mention it, there is a certain familiar air about Morgan—a handsome, brooding, British immortal with a roguish attitude.

Morgan sits down at a table and reluctantly gestures to offer us seats across from him. He and Finn seem to be exchanging heated glances but neither says anything.

"It was a mistake," Finn says in a hushed voice. "I told him not to be around for the meeting. I didn't tell him why. He just didn't realize the proximity would even be an issue."

They trade glares for a moment.

"But you know I need a warning for something like that!" Morgan huffs.

What are they talking about?

"Hold up, are you guys having some sort of mental conversation without me?"

"Sorry, Ava," Finn says, taking a deep breath in. "Let's start over. Ava, this is my mate Morgan. Morgan, this is Ava."

"Hello," Morgan says, his eyes on the table as he extends his hand for a handshake. "I'm sorry about earlier, that wasn't me. I... It was my powers."

"It's okay. I know that stuff can happen," I say shaking his hand. "Nice to meet you, Morgan."

"So you have a job for me, I assume?" he asks.

"We do," Finn says, tipping his head to me. "She's the job.

"Are you royalty or something? Someone important's daughter?"

"Do I have to be?" I ask.

"I don't usually do small-time protection gigs. I get the call when the client is incredibly powerful or has attracted the wrath of someone who is. Think of me as the nuclear option."

I thought his power was feeling peoples' emotions. It doesn't sound that dangerous.

"She's the latter," Finn says. "At least one Demon King and his horde of demons are after her. Well... technically they're after her boyfriend, Zane, the Siren."

"So they're targeting her to get to him?"

"Sort of... um..." Finn pauses a moment. "We don't think they know she's alive. We're trying to keep it that way."

Thanks, Finn, that doesn't sound ominous at all.

"Does this have something to do with the murdered Sirens?"

"It was retribution."

"For what?"

"For killing Asmodeus."

Morgan straightens in his chair and leans forward.

"Bollocks," he says, his expression hard and serious. "Asmodeus is dead?"

"He is."

Morgan lets out a shaky breath and kneads his scruffy chin in his hand.

"How can you know for sure?" he asks, his eyes looking glossier. "Did he really do it? Your mate—Zane? Did he really kill Asmodeus?"

Finn stares a moment before answering.

Is he going to tell him that I killed him? Should we lie?