Chapter 35

Trigger Warning: Violence and Discussion of Child Abuse

𝔸𝕧𝕒

As we step through Zane's front door we're confronted with a sweet, burning smell and a bit of smoke. Kieran emerges from the kitchen in nothing but a pink apron and socks. He holds out a tray of burnt pancakes and smiles.

"You guys want pancakes?" he asks.

"It's two in the afternoon, mate," Zane says, walking past Kieran into the living room.

We both follow him to the couch and sit around the coffee table.

"You look happy, Z-man," Kieran says. "Meeting go well?"

"Went shit actually," he replies, shooting me a subtle glance as he smirks.

"Oh dang, really? What happened?"

Zane shakes his head and sighs.

"There was a little power mix-up but everyone is fine now," I say, squeezing Zane's knee.

"Power mix up, eh?" Kieran picks up an entire pancake on his fork and bites half of it off.

My instinct is to tell him about Morgan being an Empath, but it occurs to me that it might be inappropriate. Everyone seems pretty sensitive about the 'what flavor of Immortal are you' question.

"I think we ended things with an understanding," Zane grumbles.

"Sho what ish thish guy, shumshorta super-Immortal?" Kieran asks with a mouthful of pancake.

I raise an eyebrow at him as I attempt to decipher what he just said.

"Sort of," Zane replies. "He's about as strong as it gets. I'm sure you'll see eventually."

"You're no fun," he says, crossing his arms. "You guys didn't bring Finn back with you?"

"No, sorry. Your boyfriend went back to his hotel."

Kieran stabs another pancake and it flops around on his fork before he takes another oversized bite. He chews for a moment then swallows.

"Well we gotta plan an Immortals' day out or something. I'm not coming all the way to London to hang out in your house all day and babysit Ava—no offense."

"We should," Zane says, looking at me. "Let's maybe go into the city tomorrow."

I'm curled up on the couch with a heating pad on my legs. My muscles are clearly not happy with me today.

"What's that for?" Zane asks, pointing to my legs.

"My legs have been cramping up on me. Trying to loosen up the muscles a bit."

"Figures."

"Figures what?" I ask, scrunching my lips.

"Just another thing, you know," he says with a sigh.

That's how chronic illness works—it's chronic. As in, it doesn't stop.

I nod, unsure what else to say.

"It's just interesting, that's all," he says. "I didn't realize this was so serious. I just wish I had known before."

My head snaps to him and my eyes widen.

"What did you just say?"

"I just wish I had known before."

"No," I say, shaking my head and standing up. "You do not say that to me. You don't. You don't mean it."