Chapter 29

𝔸𝕧𝕒

Nine hours and fifteen minutes.

On a plane. To London.

To me, that's nine hours and fifteen minutes of torture.

I have to squeeze my stiff joints into a tiny, uncomfortable seat that only reclines about five degrees back. Then that little fan above me will blow cold air into my face, as if the cabin wasn't cold enough.

Do they do this to torture sick people specifically, or do airlines just hate everyone?

"Boarding group A, Premier Plus members, and First Class are now boarding," a voice says over the speakers.

"That's us," Zane says, standing up and grabbing our carry on bags.

"Aww mannn..." Kieran whines. "Why am I not sitting with you guys?"

"Because you didn't pay for your own ticket," Zane says.

"Hey! You know it'll be helpful to have me there—an undercover demon on your side?"

"I bought your way, didn't I? Don't get greedy now."

Zane and I head for the line.

Oh good. Standing. I love standing.

The line moves forward and when we reach the gate, Zane hands the attendant our tickets and passports. The woman looks them over for a moment before nodding and welcoming us aboard.

"C2?" I ask, looking at the ticket in Zane's hand. "We must be pretty close to the front. I guess that's why we get to board so early."

Zane nods slightly and smiles as we step onto the plane. It's earlier in the morning than I'm capable of functioning, so I let Zane handle the logistics while I follow behind him like a zombie. He stops and I walk directly into his back with a small thump.

"Oof," I grunt. "Why did you stop?"

"These are our seats," Zane says, gesturing to a little two-person pod of sorts in the First Class section.

"You're kidding me." My jaw drops open and I stare at the seats—a set of two massive reclining chairs in their own cubicle with footrests, side tables, and full-size tv screens.

"Nope," he says, throwing the luggage into a cubby beneath the footrests as he steps inside.

"I..." I mutter, my feet unable to move. "How much did this cost? Those tickets must've been outrageously expensive!"

"They're fine. Don't worry about it."

I walk in and sit down in the chair. It's surprisingly comfortable.

Is it even possible to fly without that one weird guy next to you who aims his air conditioning vent right into your face?

"Where is Kieran sitting?" I ask.

"Economy," he says. "I'm not made of money."

"I thought you said they weren't that expensive!"

"They're not... for you. After everything you've told me about your experience of flying, I'm not letting you be in pain for nine hours."

I raise the armrests between our seats and lean in to give him a big hug. He chuckles and I can feel the vibrations in his chest.

"So it's a good surprise then?" he asks.

"It's a great surprise," I say, giving him a light smack on the shoulder. "But you're not allowed to spend that much money on me ever again!"

"Alright, never again."