Chapter 37

𝔸𝕧𝕒

Sitting on the living room floor with my laptop on the coffee table, I stare mindlessly at the screen. I can't tell if it's the jet lag or just more of my usual brain fog, but I've found it near impossible to get any work done since we arrived in London. Kieran's muffled voice in the other room only serves to distract me further.

Who is he even talking to?

Zane left a few minutes ago for a meeting, so it should just be Kieran and me in the house.

"Who are you talking to?" I shout to him.

"Your bodyguard!" he yells back.

Oh. Of course. I completely forgot about Morgan.

I turn to see him and Kieran walking into the room.

"Hiya, Killer," Morgan says.

"Hey," I reply.

This is awkward. I've never had a bodyguard before. Are you supposed to hang out and make small talk or do they stand in the doorway making a serious face?

Kieran hops into a chair, swinging his legs over the arm. Morgan takes a seat in the chair next to him.

"You alright?" Morgan asks.

"Uh, yeah, I guess so," I say. "You?"

"I'm good, thanks."

"You didn't tell me your bodyguard was such a babe," Kieran says with a smile.

"I get that a lot," Morgan says, giving him a wink.

"Getting hungry, are we?" I ask.

"You know me," Kieran replies with a laugh, "I can always go for a slice of beefcake."

Oh god. Is he just going to be flirting with Morgan this whole time? I'm already prone to nausea and this isn't helping.

"How about we leave Morgan alone and let him do his job?"

"Buzzkill," Kieran says, crossing his arms. "Well, I guess I'll go grab a snack."

He stands up and starts walking away.

"You're leaving?" I ask.

I'd prefer not to be stuck here on my own making small talk with the Empath. Then again, it might be preferable to watching Kieran stare at him like a piece of meat.

"Just to the kitchen," he says. "A literal snack, Ava, jeez. Get your mind out of the gutter!"

He laughs and heads to the kitchen.

I continue attempting to work on my current design project. At this point, I'm mostly just hitting keys and pretending to do something so I don't have to come up with a conversational topic.

"Incubus, eh?" Morgan asks.

"Oh uh... how do you know?"

"It's not that hard to guess. Plus I could feel his thirst for me the moment I stepped in the door."

I chuckle a bit at the thought.

"That must be weird, right? Sensing when other people are attracted to you?"

"I'm used to it. Not people being attracted to me, I mean. Although... No, I mean, my point is that I'm used to sensing what other people are feeling. It's different than feeling it myself. Except, well... with really strong feelings. As you saw the other day."

"Ah yeah... because Zane is a Siren, right?"

"Yeah. Sirens and Furies can get confusing. If the emotion is too strong, I'll start to feel it myself. It can be a bit overwhelming. That's why I arrived after Zane left. I can deal with it if I need to, but honestly, I'd rather avoid it. It takes a lot of energy to control that kind of intensity."