Meaning

That Friday afternoon, I spent all my time practicing for my next audition.

I had finally got my script that Wednesday. So I used all my time up, getting prepared.

Maybe it was the thought of it being a blockbuster movie, or the thought of it finally being my big break. All I knew was, I was nervous. And because of the nerves, I couldn't act. The nerves clouded my mind.

So I continued reading the same part over and over, Stuttering, trying to find the right voice. The right tone.

I wanted to sound believable. And I knew if I tried too hard, I would sound the complete opposite.

I practiced for nearly two hours straight. And felt like I got nowhere. Like I had never acted a day in my life. It has never been this hard to get into character.

In all my plays, in all my movies, I had always picked up the mood of the character so quick. I connected with the character. And for some reason, it seemed impossible to connect with this one. I was so nervous and jittery, that I couldn't even try to connect.

My phone began to buzz from the side table. I dropped the script, eager to get it out of my hands. Eager to talk to someone other than myself.

And I was even more eager to answer when I saw it was Lilly.

I glanced at the clock. Confused as to why she was calling. It was only 4pm. Our date weekend that we planned, wasn't for another three hours.

I finally answered. "Lil?"

"Tom?" Lilly said, in a shakey voice. Shakier than me, trying to read my script. "I need you to do something for me." Her voice echoed through the phone.

It almost, didn't sound like her. She was always happy. And her voice always sounded cheerful. Right now, she sounded like... Something was really wrong. Each word sounded like she had to force it out. As if she was exhausted.

"Anything. What? What's the matter? Are you okay?" My questions came out all at once. Bombarding her.

I listened to her breath through the phone. "I need you to come get me. Can you come get me?" She asked, as if she were begging.

By that moment I had already grabbed my coat and keys. "Where?"

I didn't ask her another question after that. I knew it was pointless. She didn't seem to be in the mood for an interrogation.

And to be honest. The only thing I cared about was where my girlfriend was. And getting to her as quickly as possible. Being there for her.

She gave me the address and without another thought, I left. "Lil, I'll be there as soon as possible."

-

-

The ride wasn't too long. Considering the fact that I was speeding.

I pulled up by a brown and white, very nice, I must add, suburban style home. Finally pressing my foot on the brake peddle. Which was mostly non existent the whole ride.

I saw Lilly sitting on the front steps of the home. She lifted her head when she heard my car pull up. And right when she saw me, she practically rushed to my car and got in the passenger seat beside me.

She didn't greet me, in fact she didn't say a word. After the shut the door, all she did was stare at the house.

When she told me the address, she neglected to add who's address it was exactly.

I leaned forward, following her eyes to where she was looking exactly.

In one of the windows of the house, was a woman. She looked older. Old enough to be Lilly's...