Nightmares Come True

The wheelchair races with Bill were no match to how fast Lilly was speeding to back to her room. She had this excitement in her eyes I had never seen. Like she knew for sure it was her mother that sent her something. The excitement she had gave me a feeling of nausea. There was a slight chance that maybe her absent mother may have finally came around, like Lilly knew she would. But I still couldn't count on that chance. Lilly seemed perfectly fine with counting on it, however. I jogged through the hallway, behind Lilly.

I wouldn't call it jealousy, what I was feeling. More like, agitation? With maybe a hint of jealously.

I had this perfect evening with Lilly. Despite being in a hospital. An evening we hadn't had since the hotel in London. We hadn't really had a mention of the constant elephant in the room. Which was cancer. Except for talking about heaven and alternate endings. But overall, the night was romantic. It was spontaneous and memorable. And it reminded me of all the reasons I fell in love with Lilly in the first place.

We were having a moment. An emotional and deep moment. One kind of moment that's rare for us. And then one mention of Lilly's mom, and the moment's over. Out the window. Gone. Sayonara.

Maybe it was selfishness. But then again, it really wasn't. Why does Mary Reynolds deserve to be acknowledged after what she did to Lilly? After alienating her only daughter. Why does she deserve to be forgiven?

Granted, I didn't know the woman from a whole in the wall. But still, I didn't need to. I knew that I loved Lilly more. Because I stayed. I stayed when she didn't. I had Lilly when she didn't. I didn't need anyone to tell me, I just knew.

We made it back to the room with Jen straggling behind. Both of us panting. She rolled up to the beautiful bouquet of roses by her bed with a note stuck at the top of it.

I have to admit, I had a small glimmer of hope when I saw the flowers. I smiled at the bouquet.

Unless it was from some distant family member, there is no one else that would know that Lilly was in the hospital. No one except her mother. Maybe the slight chance was possible after all.

She picked the note out of the bouquet while marvelling over the flowers. "Roses! She remembers that I like roses!" Lilly said. Opening the small envelope quickly. She looked like a child opening a birthday present.

I studied her every expression. Her every body movement. I even peered into the bathroom to see if maybe, just maybe, her mom was hiding in there. Like she was going to surprise Lilly and jump out. But I didn't see anyone and I focused back onto Lilly.

She read the note, mouthing each word as she read to herself. Although I couldn't hear the words on the note, I tried to read her lips.

Her smile slowly dropped. And I watched as she read the note over again. And over again. As if she didn't read it right the last time.

Jen came rushing in the room. "What's it say! What's it say!" She asked persistently.

I stopped trying to read her lips when Jen asked the question.

Lilly had a face with almost no emotion. Like she was day dreaming. Her eyes stared blankly at the note. In that moment I knew it wasn't good.

"It says dear Lilly, I heard you were in the hospital and I thought you needed some color for that room of yours. Stay strong. Enjoy the newest shipment of fresh red roses. love, Ms. Patterson." She looked back up to us.

I suddenly remembered that I had left Ms. Patterson a message, telling her that Lilly had been admitted. My heart fell. I couldn't imagine what Lilly felt.