Just Tell Me

"Lil come on we have to get up." I whispered to her with a hint of demand. She knew it was Sunday, checkout day. So I could understand why she was fake sleeping on me.

She dragged a pillow over her face to block the sun shining through the balcony's glass window. "No. Please. Don't make me leave."

I chuckled. "Will you stop whining?" I sat on the bed beside her. "Lil, I would love to stay too. But you have a doctors appointment early tomorrow. And I don't want you to miss it."

I really didn't either. I needed to know if she was okay or not. And she wouldn't tell me, so I needed to hear it from the doctor. Sadly. Because I hated the fact that he was always right.

We had a truly unforgettable weekend. We barely step foot outside of our hotel room. We didn't need to. We drank some wine, and enjoyed the jacuzzi tub, and spent most of our time on the balcony. It was one of the best little vacations I have ever had.

But that burning worry always came up like gasoline to a fire. Everytime I saw Lilly slouch over and hold her head. She was having plenty of sleep. She was eating okay, for her. She was taking all of her medications. But she was still having headaches and lightheadedness. She was still exhausted all the time. She was still losing a lot of weight. She was still achy all over. She continued her "I'm okay" act. But I had memorized the signs.

The way she slouched with her hands holding her head. That was the most obvious sign.

Her headaches scared me the most. Or when she got up and then immediately sat back down because she said she was dizzy. I knew that wasn't normal. None of it was.

We couldn't stay another night. We needed a doctor's visit. As soon as possible.

She finally got up out of bed. Groaning as she marched to the bathroom. Before she shut the door she turned around and gave me a lazy smile. "I love you." She said quietly.

"I love you." I echoed and she finally shut the door. I laughed to myself and continued to pack up the room.

There wasn't much to pack up. We lived out of suitcases. And we didn't have much with us. So once I finished mine and Lilly's packing I decided to spruce up the place a bit. I don't know why I found necessary to make the bed in a hotel. I knew room service was going to have to change the sheets when they came in anyway. I guess it was some form of OCD. Which is ironic because my apartment is a mess and I usually never make my bed. But I made it anyway. And I waited patiently for Lilly. Listening to the sound of me pill bottles as she took her medicine. She never liked me watching her take her medicine. So she would take it in the bathroom with the door shut. Like I didn't already know what she was doing. But, I respected her privacy.

She came out of the bathroom shortly after, dressed in a pair of shorts and the beatles shirt that she loves.

"Rocking the beatles today?" I asked, grinning.

She nodded confidently. "Yeah, and evidently..." She ran over behind the counter and brought out a gift bag. "So are you." She held out the bag to me and I took it. Moving the tissue paper to pull out none other than, a beatles shirt.

She laughed. "I had to. I saw it in the gift shop down stairs. I figured this could be my gift to you. Happy anniversary."

I unfolded it to see the whole shirt. It wasn't exactly like hers but it was close. I looked at her. "I love it."

"Good! Put it on and let's get out of here. I feel like if I don't leave now then i'm never going to." She responded as she picked up her bags.

I changed my shirt quick. Throwing my old shirt into my bag. "What do you think?"