Three Little Words

After the rooftop dance, I took Lilly back to her apartment. I wasn't expecting anything to happen.

Well with all of her stress with her mother, And whatever she needed to tell me, hanging over our heads. I knew it wasn't a great time for anything more but a goodnight kiss.

And just like every other night I walked her home, we parted ways in the hallway of her apartment building. Trying to be as quiet as possible. Which really wasn't that hard. Because we never really spoke.

That hallway was where the kisses lasted the longest. And every time one of us would build up the tolerance to actually whisper the phrase "goodnight". We'd just kiss again. It was a cycle.

The cycle always had a weird way of ending. Either by me getting a phone call, or Lilly's neighbor coming out and interrupting us.

That night, it wasn't really weird. She just gave me one last peck on the lips and opened her door slowly. And that's how I knew that it was time to leave.

"Goodnight." She whispered softly. "See you tomorrow."

"Goodnight Lil. You still have the address right?" I asked, in a quiet tone.

"Yes I do. And I'll be there." She grinned.

"Okay. See you tomorrow." I whispered back. Trying to hold back on continuing the cycle again.

-

-

The next day went by slowly. Mostly because I was up all night. Thinking. All day, thinking. Hours upon hours, with only one thought running throughout my mind.

Seeing the sadness in Lilly's eyes, when I picked her up from her mother's house. It killed me.

And I couldn't escape the thought of her news. How it would affect us. It can't be good news. So if its bad news... Will It change us? Will it ruin us?

I didn't want anything to ruin us. Us, was perfect. Us, was the only thing that made me smile. And us, made Lilly smile too.

I knew that I needed to know. And I knew that tonight was the time. She was coming over for dinner tonight. And although we never mentioned the talk. I had every intent in getting her to tell me.

There's no time, like now.

I prayed that whatever it was, I would be strong enough to deal with it.

All I had to do, was think of us.

-

-

I jumped up when I heard a knock at my front door. I was a little nervous. But once I heard her voice, something in me, changed. And I was completely calm.

"Hey." She said slowly.

"Hey." I echoed. Giving her a tiny kiss on the cheek. "Come on in."

She followed me inside as I shut the door behind us.

I watched her scan my apartment. This was her first time being here, which was odd.

We spent all this time together. And we had never been inside each others apartments.

I suddenly felt dumb. I had all day to plan for this dinner-date. And I made dinner, with no problem. But I never thought to straighten up the apartment. There were clothes on chairs, and work papers spread over coffee tables. It wasn't exactly the best place to make yourself comfortable.