Smile on a Cloudy Day

A/N: I'm am so sorry for being so very late with this update. I'm going through finals in school and I have a presentation and so much on my plate. I had time to finish the update today and I hope you all like it. The next chapter is going to be lighthearted. And another few chapters. These happy chapters are preparing you. Because we will get into the pulse pounding chapters, and finally, the heartbreaking chapters. Predicting another 10+ chapters! Hope you enjoy this one. I promise I won't make you wait as long next time! x.Ash

Throughout this whole story. I've told you how Lilly and I lived. How we got through our tough times. How we did things. I used the word crazy a lot. Spontaneous too. That was us all summer. That was just how we were.

I hate putting things into past tense. So i'm going to stop. Because it's not the past. Not yet. That's what I had to remind myself constantly. Not the past. Not yet.

So as I drove down my London neighborhood. Past the cafes, parks and karaoke bars that Lilly and I found ourselves in all summer, I thought of how crazy we ARE. Because, yeah. We can't really sing karaoke in a hospital room. We can't ride ferris wheels, or chase each other around the city. But we can still be ourselves. Our unpredictable selves.

So that was the reason why I was on my way back to our apartment. Because it was a cloudy day. Right in the middle of rain and sunshine. And mother nature just couldn't decide which one she actually wanted. The kind of weather that could really bring someone down.

But not us. I couldn't let that happen.

It was a Thursday. August twenty fifth. Four days after we were flower thieves. Stealing roses from the hospital's garden.

That Thursday, we were something different. In fact, everyday with Lilly is like being someone different. Each different person being exactly who I want to be. Sunday was a 'flower thief'. Thursday was a 'smile on a cloudy day'.

I wanted to make Lilly smile. And I knew exactly how to do it.

I asked Jen to keep an eye on Lilly, who was asleep, while I went out and got a few things. Jen happily agreed. Her shift was up early that morning and she had already been spending her break time with Lilly anyways. Like I said, Jen loved Lilly as a patient, and as a friend.

Before I left, I kissed Lilly's forehead and whispered 'I love you.' Then I informed Jen to not tell Lilly where I went. And to please call me if anything happened while I was gone. Even if it was the smallest thing in the world. I wanted to know. She took my orders and basically pushed me out the door.

Lilly hated cloudy days. The garden wasn't as colorful. It was more depressing. She the only thing she liked about those grey clouds, was that they'd eventually bring rain, which she loved. But until those raindrops fell, she wasn't happy. A part of the reason why she wasn't in the mood to go out that Thursday. The other reason being that she was in too much pain from not having enough rest all week. She was too busy racing wheelchairs in the hallway with Billy, and too busy out in the garden, not following her doctor's orders.

When she was up for it, she could do anything. Including racing wheelchairs. Which she was surprisingly good at.

Today was more like her recovery day. Which was sort of perfect for my plans.Since it was too cloudy for walking through the garden. I decided I'd gather a couple of things from the apartment and have a picnic. Right there in her hospital room.

When we first started dating, we would usually plan to see each other on Thursdays. Unless she was trying to reconnect with her mother, then we would push our dates to the weekend. Never the less, Thursday was our night. Why end such a beautiful tradition?