Chapter 21: Sort

Note- Little language lesson, Sort is French for fate!

*Louis' pov*

"Here we are!" Webby yells as we come up on a town. 'Finally!' I think as we enter the small town. There are some people walking about, none seeming to pay much attention to us. "Sort....." Huey says, clearly getting lost in his thoughts. "It's French." I say flatly, not paying the others much attention.            "Oh...." He says, kinda sounding surprised. "Do you know what it means in English Louis?" Violet asks, talking to me for about the first time today. "Fate." I reply just as flatly as before. 'I'm going to have to get away soon.... Luckily for me Della trusts me far to much.' "Hey, can I get a head start on exploring the town? There's some things I was looking foreword to seeing." I lie, a small convincing smile on my face. "Of course hun! We'll meet up with you later, just don't leave town ok?" Della say, taking my small suitcase I was holding. I refrain for telling her not to call me 'hun', right now I need to stay out of arguments. "I will!" I say with fake enthusiasm, starting to walk towards the center of town. "Lass, do you really think that's a good idea?" Scrooge asks Della, more anger than actuall concern in his voice. "It's fine uncle Scrooge, besides we can track him so we'll know if he leaves!" She responds. Like I said, far to much trust, though I may have to be more careful of Scrooge. Walking down the sidewalk I take notice of the number of people walking seems to be increasing as I get closer to the center of town, not too surprising. Not many cars are on the road but it is a nice day and the town's small enough you could walk pretty much end to end. 'I need to write down that information for..... Ava! That was her name... Gotta remember that.' I think as I come up on a nice looking coffee shop. The building itself is obviously old, but the sign hanging from the roof above the door says the coffee shop is relatively new. The shop look mostly empty and only 3 or 4 people are actually working, so overall the perfect spot. Walking in, a small bell above the door rings as the barista at the counter turns her attention to me. She has on a short-sleeved pastel purple shirt on under a plain white apron. She also has a black choker and a pastel purple and black butterfly clip in her short-ish hair. Looking closer as I walk over her name tag says 'Lilly', an honestly pretty name. She doesn't seem to be much older than me, probably 14 or 15. "So what can I get you today?" She says in a clearly forced customer service voice. "Well," I start, pretending to read the menu behind her. "What would you recommend?" I ask, giving her a questioning look. She give me a slightly questioning look back, confusing me for a second. "You're not from around here, are you?" She asks quite bluntly. "Na, just staying for a few days." I respond, smiling at her. She simply laughs under her breath as she looks back at the menu behind her. " Well it depends on what you want, coffee, tea, hot chocolate. But personal I prefer the red velvet hot chocolate." She says, looking back at me. "Then I guess I'll have a medium red velvet hot chocolate." I respond as she rings it up. Not too long after I pay it's done and I take a seat in a booth near the door. Taking out 5 note cards and a pen I start writing down some information on how to reach Chloe, leaving out the exact address. Using the other 4 note cards to write a small letter to Chloe, Jason, Ace, and Avery, I barely notice 20 minutes have already gone by. I hear the bell above the door ring as I look up at the door. 'And shi-' I thing as Webby notices me and walks over, the other two girls not far behind. Quickly putting the note cards in the front pocket of my bag a look up and smile at the 3. "Hey Louis!" Webby says as Violet nods slightly and Lena gives me, YET ANOTHER, death glare. "Hi girls, unfortunately I was actually about to leave and explore some more of the town." I say as I start the short walk to the door. "But if you're going to get anything I suggest the red velvet hot chocolate." I say as I start to open the door. "You girls have fun, I'll probably run into you later. Bye!" I say as I finally leave the shop, starting to walk towards the side of town I haven't seen yet. Of course if they're out walking around the others probably are too, so I definitely need to be careful. After about 10 minutes of walking and looking around I notice a small shop, It looks kinda rundown but it's definitely open. The building itself, as most here are, is definitely old and gives off an almost creepy vibe. Maybe that's why I feel pulled to it, I do like creepy looking things, or maybe it's the old looking junk I could probably sell for more than I can buy it for. Either way the bell above the door ringing says I've already made a decision. I can faintly see an older lady behind the counter, probably in her late 60's or early 70's. The store is empty besides the two of us as I decide to look around. Pretty much everything here is old or junk but I still feel inclined to look around. It's almost like I'm looking for something. I don't know what is yet. 'Is this what a dreamer would call 'Destiny'?' I think as I round the corner of a small self. Looking up at a clothes rack I notice one thing that clearly stands out, a dark green leather jacket. It assent mindedly walk over to the jacket and pick it up. It's the EXACT same color as my face mask I typical wear, it also has an 'L' stitched in black just barley visible behind the side of the jacket. I was so caught up in my thoughts I didn't even notice the older lady come up behind me. " Nice jacket, don't you agree Louis?" She asks, catching me off guard. Luckily I don't scare easily and I can hide it pretty well when I am. "Ya, it's definitely interesting...." I say looking back at the jacket. "Well try it on, see if it fits." She says smiling at me. "Ya, ok." I say, kinda wanting it to fit. It's a badass jacket and it has an 'L' on it!!! Taking of my backpack I set my gray hoodie on top of it and put the jacket over my black shirt. "It fits perfectly." I whisper under my breath, starting to honestly question if Destiny and fate are real. "Well take it then!" She says as I switch back to my hoodie. "Umm ya, how much do I owe you?" I ask, reaching for my bag. "Oh no, no, no, no, it's free. After all who am I to get in the way of fate." She simply says as I sling my bag over my shoulder. "Ummm, if you're sure." I say, getting a nod and a genuine smile in response. Saying goodbye and thanking her I leave the shop, leather jacket in my backpack. It may help me hide in a crowd later if the others don't know I have it. "Louis O'gilt?"

Hey kiddos!!! Slight cliffhanger, just because I can! Anyways wanted to apologize for this being up late! I was busy and demotivated so I'm sorry about that. But I hope you liked this chapter and I'll hopefully have the next one up soon!! Hope you all enjoyed this chapter and thanks for reading! Love you all!!! -Ryan❤

Editor-Hey kiddos!!! I checked it and it was very good. Big cliffhanger though. I don't know what it is though. I hope you like it and enjoy!!! Bye🖤

 I hope you like it and enjoy!!! Bye🖤