30

THREE DAYS BEFORE
THE NATIONAL TOURNAMENT

third person's

Rukawa Kaede. Shohoku's ace. To proved it, he defeated Hisashi Mitsui the former ace of the team, with his dreams and goals of becoming Japan's number one, high school player. Before the team even consider him as Shohoku's ace, he had to challenge Mitsui on a one-on-one game.

Three days before the national tournament, the team has decided to continue their training. It felt empty, knowing that the seat beside Ayako is empty. The seat once belongs to (l/n) (f/n) the former medical-based manager. After that line-call with Rukawa, she never showed up. From Rukawa's perspective, his only means one thing; she's refusing to become an official member of the club.

For him? Nevermind. It's wrong to ask you like that in the first place. He wasn't even sure if you did really like being with them for almost four months. And he wasn't all assured that the basketball club is the only prominent person inside your life. Aside from the club, he is so sure if you have more than the team.

"So, do you plan to continue spacing out until the tournament starts?"

Caught in a blissful moment with himself, Rukawa has turned his head behind the owner of the voice who said that. It was none other than Mitsui, still wearing his training clothes and it seems like he's all done for today.

"You're not yourself for the past few days. Are you sleep-deprived?" Mitsui asked his underclassman as he noticed the dark circles under his eyes. At first, it wasn't that visible.

That wasn't very Rukawa. Sleep-deprived? There's no way. But these past few days, it's not the same peaceful nights that all he does is to eat and sleep after. Aside from basketball, that's it. Aside from Rukawa's perspectives, Mitsui thought that maybe you're using your time to catch up on your academics, although your rank didn't really go down, he is so sure that your grades are still your number one concern.

Mitsui took a few steps to get near at the rookie, estimating him. "Well, I guess you haven't seen her around?"

"You're quite dumb for an ace, you know?"

Rukawa's eyes from boredom have all of a sudden became sharp because of what Mitsui said.

"What?" The rookie urged Mitsui.

The side of Mitsui's lips rose, as he studied Rukawa once more. "That's (l/n) (f/n) for you. You shouldn't let yourself be attached in the first place. I already told you about it."

"But don't worry. I think she feels the same way, you're not the only one who's frustrated. Even I am, myself is frustrated."

One of his hands went to tap the rookie's shoulders. "I'm pretty sure, she won't turn her back just like that on the team. Loosen up and focus on training, she wouldn't like seeing you like this. You should be aware of that."

Rukawa on the other hand has stood up, surprising Mitsui a bit. "Mitsui-san. I think I know why L/N is ignoring me."

"Ignoring you? Don't feel special... why is she ignoring you then?" Mitsui trailed and pause in the middle of his sentence as he tries to comprehend Rukawa's situation better. He wants the best for his kouhais. It felt something unfamiliar whenever he gets to help someone. And he was glad that maybe this is what you're feeling whenever you help someone.

"I... I kissed her. I kissed, L/N."

Mitsui's eyes widened with that. He pursues and burst into his laughter with the thought that Rukawa is joking. But asiding the thought, Rukawa was never a fan of jokes after all.