three

Chapter 3 : first person pov. edited 2nd of November, 2021.

After knowing that this Rukawa is a part of the basketball team, I had no intentions of seeing him again. I just fairly don't want to involve myself again in basketball. It would just bring me a lot of drowning memories, and I couldn't stand it. Because aside from Akagi-san, there was this one person I once knew, a member. A shooting forward of Shohoku High, a prodigy himself since middle school.

Hisashi Mitsui.

Graduating from the same middle school made me know all about him. He was the MVP. It wasn't my intention to follow him here in Shohoku, and I was even shocked to know that he chose this school. I'm not degrading my school, but I'm sure there were a lot of scholarship offers for him.

Akagi-san never told me why he quit playing for Shohoku. And now, I barely see him. When I do, he'll only look away avoiding me, just like what happened was not real. And even his appearance became gloomy. His black hair with blue highlights was unusually longer than his usual.

He is always seen with those guys who look like a thug or something. I assumed that he might be in a gang or what.

And I think, avoiding him? It would be better that way.

Everything has changed. The Mitsui I know and acknowledge is very far from what he is right now. And I don't want to involve myself again with a kind of person like him.

He's egocentric. Undeniably selfish. He changed.

Kimura had thanked me for what I did to this 'Rukawa' guy.

"No problem," I said with a small smile. "It's a part of the job since we're in the voluntary club," I added, shrugging both of my shoulders.

Exactly two days after the commotion between Akagi-san and Sakuragi-kun, I heard from my classmates that the famous red-haired had joined the basketball club. It wasn't surprising, but Youhei-kun told me that he's doing it for a girl.

Mito Youhei is one of Sakuragi-kun's friends. I often see him with Takamiya-kun. Although I don't really have a lot of friends, I actually have some. And I'm not even sure if I should consider them as my friends. Since we don't often interact and hang out.

Being in the voluntary club would let me get out of my comfort zone, it was also an excuse for me to be extroverted sometimes.

Talking to Youhei-kun gave me some flashbacks of Sakuragi-kun's confession to me.

"You're the 48th, who has rejected me." His eyes were definitely crying as his friends surrounded him with confetti-like they're celebrating or something. That made Sakuragi pissed his friends' foreheads.

"Look, Sakuragi-kun." I called trying to gain his attention, his poor friends had barely made it because of what he did.

"I'm not rejecting you because I just feel like it. It was not my intention, we barely interacted and know each other, and I apologize that I can't reciprocate your feelings."

"Do you like someone else, (l/n)-chan?!"

My eyes widened. "W-What? N-No! Look, I barely even avert my attention to my guy classmates." I said, sighing.

"I don't like someone else, nor have I had someone else, Sakuragi-kun. It's just that for now, I've been focusing on my acads. And I don't think having someone would be good." I said fidgeting with my fingers, lowering my gaze on the floor.

"Ah- Okay."

What?

"Okay?" I asked. "Uhm, you're not mad or something?"

"I just realize that you actually have a reason and that makes sense, you're not like others (l/n)-chan."

"What?" I squinted my eyes. "O-Oh! Of course, I am Sakuragi-kun." I smiled.

I looked towards his friends or maybe his 'gang' who looked so shocked about what just happened.

"You guys don't have to be so harsh about rejection," I tiptoed to pat Sakuragi-kun's shoulder. And walk on my merry way.

The next day, Mito Youhei approached me, and thanked me. With a glimpse of Sakuragi's newly found girl, a new girl to admire.

I chuckled.

I was walking to school when someone got my attention. My eyes widened when I saw the 'Rukawa' guy who's riding his bike, wearing a violet hoodie.

And he's riding his bike, asleep. What?