eighteen

Chapter 18 : first person pov. Edited on 10th of January 2022.

"Mitsui was sent to the infirmary, Akagi-san. The nurse said it wasn't that bad, and L/N-san already provided the first aid, he just needs rest for now."

I felt like waking up from a deep sleep after hearing a few voices around me. I lifted my head as I opened my eyes and saw Akagi-san with Ayako-san. I looked around the place and figured that we're still in the hallway of the school's clinic. I'm currently sitting on a bench. 

"L/N-san you're awake... oh no, it looks like you woke him up too." Ayako-san said, slightly whispering the last part.

My eyes widened when I saw Rukawa sitting beside me, with his legs crossed and his arms crossed on the lower part of his chest. His head was leaning on the white walls.

Was I leaning on him a while ago?

"What... happen? Where's Mitsui?" I asked Ayako-san and Akagi-san.

"He's inside." Akagi-san pointed to the white door in front of us. "Taking a rest, we need Mitsui in shape for the upcoming games against the other teams in Kanagawa." 

They said that after I treated Mitsui's injury, he was directly sent to our school's clinic. The nurse said he's fine, and just asleep. He looked so tired and worn-out a while ago. Sakuragi-kun has told us what really happened. And we found out that he was just caught in between a fight, and he's not really a part of it.

"Then why did I fall asleep?" I asked once again.

I heard Akagi-san sighed. "You are all giving me a heart attack." He said as he sat beside me, eyeing me from a tiny distance.

"You and Rukawa were the ones who brought Mitsui here. You look tired, L/N. That's why you must fall asleep," he eyed Rukawa beside me with his eyes still shut but I knew he's already awake. "And with his case, honestly I'm not surprised anymore. He can sleep everywhere."

I stood up from sitting, fixing my skirt a bit. "Where's Sakuragi-kun and the others?"

"In the gym, practising." Ayako-san answered, making me nod. Surprisingly, I yawned again making my eyes teary. I immediately covered my face, palming it. 

"You should rest more, L/N. We're going back to the gym, wake that moron beside you, and tell him to come for practice." Akagi-san said before leaving.

I studied Rukawa beside me. He's in his usual training clothes. A black t-shirt inside and his practice jersey topping his tee. A black wristband in his left arm. I noticed that he would always wear that even with our school uniform. The fringe that hangs in his forehead is covering his eyes and his long eyelashes.

With his head leaning on the white wall, his hair became messier, there are spaces between his fringes.

This time around, I finally realized why a lot of girls are crazy about him. He is fairly attractive. I'm sure he could get any girl with his looks. But his personality would be a challenge for someone who doesn't know how to fully comprehend a person.

He's an actual basketball idiot. He's not that good with academics. He sleeps in his class, and would always be sent out by a teacher. And most of the time he loves annoying Sakuragi-kun, but I'm sure it is just one of his ways to express how impressive Sakuragi-kun is.

A total tsundere.

"Rukawa, wake up." I said, tapping an arm a bit. He's already awake but he's too lazy to even open his eyes. "I know you're already awake, come on, you still have your practice."

With that he finally opens his eyes, rubbing it with both hands. I immediately slapped his hands away from his eyes.

"Hey! Don't rub your eyes," I said as he continues to blink his eyes. Both of his electrifying blue orbs still look sleepy, and both eyelids have a single tear. "You've been awake, if you just open your eyes already a while ago, it won't get teary like that." I added smiling a bit with the sight of him yawning.

"I enjoyed you staring at me, L/N."

I felt my cheeks warm up like I was caught with a crime. I immediately turn my back on him and pretend that I'm busy fixing the hems of my skirt.

"Your skirt is perfectly fine." He voiced out.

"I'm just checking," I replied. "Stop pointing out everything." I chuckled, tugging a strand of my hair behind my ear before glancing at him once again. "You should go to the gym right now. You don't want to be left out, don't you?"

Rukawa boredly shrugs his shoulders. "But I'm already ahead of them, so I might just catch up a little." He responded.

What an airhead.

"Aren't you going with me?"

I shook my head. "I'll stay here and wait for Mitsui to wake up."

I saw how Rukawa hesitated for a second, he glanced at the white door in front of us before turning his gaze at me once again. 

"Okay." He said before finally walking away from me.

I laughed. He looks so weird and awkward with that. "Don't miss me too much!" I yelled through the hallway of the clinic, looking at Rukawa's back. 

He raised one of his hands in the air and say, "Can't promise." And I was left there frozen in my tracks. It was not a shout nor a yell, it was stated by a very low but deep voice that has filled the entire hallway of the school clinic.

I chuckled as I felt my hands getting cold while holding the doorknob.  "What was that? That wasn't very him."