THE END!

Final Chapter

Charlie's POV:

Ever since they announced they're transferring me to France, I have been shutting myself in my room. As mad as I am at them, I know it is their job to worry about my safety. Who would have thought after paying thousands for the school's fees that we'd end up being victims of the shooting incident. No one saw it coming. It's a bit ironic considering the school's policy of zero tolerance to bully, the high maintenance and supposedly the best security the nation has to offer here that these things still happen. I guess if it's supposed to happen, it will happen anyway, right?

The day when I finally talked to my parents again was when they agreed to the conditions I wanted in order for me to move to another country. One of it is that they let me see the person I've been longing to see; Ivy.

I feel so terrible. I only managed to visit Ivy once because she knocked out cold for a few days. I was worried but the doctor assured me it's because Ivy needs more rest. Fearing I wouldn't see her for a long time, I snuck in a friendly kiss on her white cheek. She never seemed more unalive than that time. And it just killed me to see her pale body lying on the hospital bed. So I made up my mind, I will definitely see her before I leave. And that's final!

***

"So... you're leaving huh?" she asked.

"Yeah. In few weeks."

"Are you all packed?"

"Halfway done. There are still some things need to be done," I replied as I stare at her intently.

My hand reaches for her and our eyes gaze into each other's. God, I always loved staring into her eyes. But sadly, something was lost. The one thing that I last saw in her eyes is not there today. Her smile turns downward.

"How are you?" I asked in the lowest voice I could manage.

It feels as if my voice was any louder than that, it might break her. Violet told me what happened to her, what she was forced to do to Mandy. When that guy knocked her out with his gun, I was separated away from her. Eventhough I resisted, they still didn't let me see her. All I heard was screams and shots. I was pretty shaken up myself but the fear of losing her at that time scared me more.

"I'm... not okay," she admitted.

"I'm so sorry I wasn't there to help yo-"

"No, don't be. I'm glad you weren't there. At least you were safe," she cut me off.

She really seems relieved by this fact. I know it because her eyes are smiling. Still, the guilt is still there. I wished I could have protected her.

"I'd ask you to stop blaming yourself but even I can't do it myself," her voice sounded low.

What could she possibly blame herself for? She stood up for her friends. And even with a gun pointed at her, she still chose not to hurt someone else.

"I'm terrified. What if I ended up like them? For one second, I swear, I wanted to hurt Mandy. Especially after I found out she... she... and I almost..." her voice broke.

Automatically I wrap my arms around her. She's pretty shaken up. With her head on my shoulder, she still mumbles out all the guilt and fears. My neck feels warm with her tears. So I let her be. I let her cry.

After awhile, her tears stopped. She had no more tears to shed. And that's why I decide to speak up.

"It's not meant to be, I guess."