Periwinkle

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
Periwinkle
Comfort
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

Wind whistled in his ears, fiercely holding him back with each step. The cold snow froze his throat, his lungs. Dry.

Technoblade had said it was essential to learn to be in the cold. The nearest nether portal was a mile away, and a hell of a walk. Between hills and the starting of a blizzard, Tommy could tell.

Ghostbur has been absent for the last six days, saying there was a big event today. Instead, Technoblade was helping Tommy memorise the layout of the land, day by day.

From a couple steps behind him, Tommy heard the husky voice. "Would you like to see— be in L'manburg again?"

"What?" He turned to face the voice, curious and cold.

Technoblade draped a large coat on Tommy's shivering shoulders. "I have invisibility potions in my bag, if you want. I'll guide you. I know the way."

The sudden news dropped onto Tommy hit him like a brick. To feel the sun on his back. To see the waving flag. To see. He wish he could see L'manburg one last time.

"Sure. I want to be there."

"You know you can't—"

"Yeah." See? Interact with anyone? He knew. But being there with his other senses was better than not at all.

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

Ghostbur was handed an acoustic guitar.

"Blue."

"Oh! Baby Blue! My sweet guitar!" He cheered, grabbing the neck gently, swinging the strap around his shoulder. "Thank you, Tubbo."

The child smiled softly, letting go carefully. They had managed to save his favourite guitar from Pogtopia. The others had been tossed into a bonfire because of JSchlatt. Tubbo winced at the memory that seemed like a celebration to others.

Was he like Schlatt? I mean. He had exiled Tommy. He had gone against the plans. But he did it all for his own and everyone else's safety? Right? So why was his best friend dead? Why did he feel so guilty.

Ghostbur put a ghostly hand over Tubbo's shoulder.

"You're going to be okay. Tommy is okay."

Tubbo hissed, shoving the hand off of him. "Stop with that nonsense. He's gone. Forever."

The members of New L'manburg took place in birch seats, placed in front of a memorial. Dream, Ponk, Purpled, Sapnap, and a couple others came to join the funeral. They took a minute to sit in, then a minute in silence.

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

"Do not let go of my hand." Technoblade told sternly, as they walked over boiling lava. Tommy assumed they were in the nether, and on the rough paths he had once made with Dream.

Tommy's throat was dry with anticipation. He felt nervous, as they walked up a small series of steps and into a loud whooshing sound. Another Nether portal?

The sun started to burn on his back, as his intestines twisted like a wet rag.

"We're here. Drink this."

Handed a potion, he sipped on it, almost gagging as he remembered the blindness potion.

"We're invisible, now. I'll lead the way."

He was grateful.

"We've only got three minutes so—"

Strumming bounced off the walls. Tommy listened to the patterns familiar to Wilbur's.

"Can we go there? Where the guitar is coming from?"

He loved the sound. It filled his heart with warmth and joy.

Techno's rough hands led him down steps, careful not to trip, and his boots echoed onto the hollow wooden path he had built himself.

"It's... Tommy, I think it's for you."

"What do you mean?"

The strumming ended, and there were sparse claps.

"It's a... a funeral?"

Technoblade let's go of Tommy's hand, walking forward. Being invisible, he couldn't use his steps to follow him.

"Don't leave me! Please!"

"Tommy!" Technoblade whisper-yelled in warning.

But it was much too late. Ghostbur stopped playing and Tubbo stood, knocking his chair over. "Tommy?" Was he hearing things?

"Tommy, stay quiet." Technoblade warned.

"Tubbo?!"

"Tommy! See, I told you he was alright, Tubbo!" Ghostbur's chilled hand held Tommy's.

"Are you holding... Tommy, are you invisible?" Dream's voice chilled Tommy.

"Dream's here?" Tommy whispered to Ghostbur, who nodded, excited.

"Look! They built all this for you. I thought it was stupid they wanted me to perform without you here when they're celebrating you." Forgetful ghost.

"Ghostbur... Do they think I'm dead?" Something in Tubbo's tone was disturbing, and he heard faint sobs.

"They did, I think. Not anymore, surely!"

"Yeah. Not anymore." He didn't care that Dream was here, he lied. A part of him hated Dream for everything, and he wanted milk to prove it.

"Tommy!" He heard Technoblade yell sternly and hushed.

Five.

"Tommy, if you're here, that violates our agreement." Dream hissed, hostility lacing his tone.

Four.

"Tommy, be quiet!" Technoblade begged.

Three.

"What's wrong with Tommy being here?" Ghostbur.

Two.

"A lot." Dream.

One.

"He can't be. He's dead!" Tubbo?

"But I am, Tubbo," Tommy smiles, the invisibility worn off. Techno drank another one quietly, but Tommy ignores this. He walks up the platform, going to hug Tubbo.

A cold rush goes up his spine as something sharp hits his stomach. Not again. Not again. Not again. Not again. Please. He remembers the cold betrayal of Eret. And he feels that sort of nostalgia. The bad kind when you wallow in a terrifying memory.

He's felt this before. Tommy has felt this cold rush of pain and numbness, as everything seems to spill. The sharp object hitting his stomach retracts. Tubbo shouts and runs in his tennis shoes to fight Dream.

Dream scoffs, hiding a laugh.

He's felt this before. He hates this feeling. This is death.

Technoblade grabs Tommy, still invisible, shuffling through their bags for a totem. Why would they leave without totems? Were they that foolish? That utterly stupid?

Fundy and Quackity are yelling something. Dream is fighting with Tubbo. He can hear Tubbo's pleas. It's all so quiet. He just wanted to see L'manburg one last time. Is that too much?

Someone soft and faint holds him. More distant than Ghostbur. More cold than Ghostbur.

"You were supposed to make it."

"Will?" He coughs up a little bit of blood.

"You made me proud, Tommy. It's okay."

Please. He didn't want to join his brother yet. There was so much he wanted to do. So many builds to make, so many friendships to amend. He still hadn't properly spoken to Ranboo. And Tubbo was someone that he wanted to speak with before he died.

He's felt this before, but not this way.

Technoblade is trying to comfort him, but his words seem so quiet.

Everything is so quiet.

So cold.

So distant.