Dark woods

Don't forget to comment and vote please 🌻

Asper's POV
  I shoot up breathing hard in the chilly silent night. I hang my head trying to catch my breath staring at the fibers of the comforter getting the images of Evie being tortured out of my head. Every night it's like I'm being haunted by her. Scenes play in my head from her eyes but yet I can't seem to find where she is. This one was the worst.

She was sitting on a bed whispering to herself before she spasmed her whole body shaking and stiff. Her mouth was open as if screaming. I wouldn't hear it if she was, each dream shows her but there's no sound it's like I'm watching a muted horror movie every night.

Running my hand through my sweaty hair I turned to my alarm clock on my nightstand. It read 3:27 am. I sighed running my hand down my face groaning. After coming to the conclusion that I'm not going to be able to go back to sleep I make my way downstairs to the kitchen.

"Liam?" I mumble squinting my eyes at the dark blonde figure leaning against the counter. I reach behind me to flip the light switch on to reveal a haggard looking Liam.

He's been a ghost of himself the past two weeks. I don't know the last time he laughed or even smirked. Evie's disappearance affected everyone. Juniper has been trying her best to get Lucus out of bed or to stop him from running around the woods for unhealthy hours looking for Ev. The whole pack has only seen a few glances of her but they too feel their lunas absence.

"A little warning next time would be nice." Liam grumbles rubbing his eyes. "Sorry." I apologize halfhearted.

"What are you doing up so early?" I ask already knowing the answer. "I can't stop thinking about how I could've ran faster o-or maybe I could've went there and stood guard. I... I should've protected my Luna better. I should've protected Ev better."

Liam words stung my heart at his guilt. I too felt the burden of the suffocating emotion. I felt like my heart was ripped out and left behind in the forest where I passed out from blood loss.

I stepped forward pulling Liam into a crushing hug. We both clung together as if trying to hold each other from falling to pieces on the kitchen tile. Even though it wasn't the arms of my missing mate it was comforting to be held by someone else. I think Liam felt the same as he clung to me, his hands fisting into my shirt. "It hurts man. It really hurts. I can't loose her too." His voice was another stab to the heart hearing his broken breath. I nod my head against his shoulder. "I know. I know." I rasp out.

We both brake apart when we hear someone clear their throat behind us. I straightened up when I spotted a fragile looking old lady. "Now that you guys are done being emotional we need to talk business."

Me and Liam both froze in shock at the lady's voice. She sounded in her late 20s, but her body says 90. "Uh ma'am are you lost?" I ask hesitant. She's not part of the pack I would if she was but why I feel like I've seen her before. Her voice sounds familiar.

"Curse you Ríona for making my life so much harder than it should be." I hear her grumble to herself before waddling through the kitchen to ease herself down on a chair. She let out a sigh of relief in content. "Goddess please don't  let me get this old. My bones are like paper." She turns her head back over to where we're still standing staring like idiots. "I'm Helen you know the person who was training your mate Ev." She supplies.

Realization floods me as I now remember where I heard her voice from. I raise a an eyebrow still skeptical. "Tell me something only Helen would know." I see Liam beside me nod his head in agreement.

"Evie is a stubborn child with a weird personality that's laced with an unhealthy amount of sarcasm." Helen sounds so sure that I can't seem to think she's lying. What she said was about right though.

A sad smile reached my lips as I remember her laughing at her own jokes. "Yes that's her." My smile drops. "Do you know where she is?" Hope fills me when she nods her head.

Evie's POV
I start awake with a jolt when I realize I'm moving. I groan when the pain in my back flares up. I open my eyes to an ass and legs walking. I then notice I'm over someone's shoulders swaying with their movement.

I try to move my head to see where I am but only see tree. I curse when I see that their paper birch trees. The damn trees won't leave me alone. "Oh look who's awake." A slithering voice startles me.

I bend my neck to see a familiar looking man walking behind who ever is carrying me. I squint at the sharp jawline. "Hothead?"

A look of confusion twist is sharp features into a glare. "Kade." He corrects.

If my mom knows him then that should mean the bitch should be here somewhere. "Where's my mother?" I demand. Kade tilts his head looking as if considering the question. "She's waiting for you."

I try to get more answers out of him as we walk but he won't let me have any. My frustration kept growing but I didn't show he was getting to me. Suddenly the person carrying me stops. I look around seeing that daylight is fading setting the woods in a dark shadow. When he then counties walking is when I see the clearing lined with torches emitting a soft warm glow. I struggle to move having lost sight of kade. "Stop moving." The man carrying me grunts. I go still at the sound of shadows boys voice. How do I still not know his name?

A hiss of pain comes from my lips when I'm set down on a stone table, shadow boy securing cold metal clasps on my wrists. I thrash against him trying to get any chance at getting away. "Honey stop wasting time. The faster you submit the faster we get this done."

I freeze at my mothers voice. My heart contracts in pain when I turn my head to see my own mother standing in the arms of the fake king.