4.

The tears made my cheeks cold as the air grew crisp while the night when on. Shane and I lay in the back of the car, I just wanted to be held. My fingers intertwined with his has his thumb gently rubbed circles on the top of my hand. Everything grew quiet aside from some small chatter that could be heard from the other people around us.

"What's going to happen?" My voice croaks out hoarsely, I feel Shane's chest rise and fall slowly.

"We're going to get out of here, get somewhere safe, a shelter maybe..." He assures.

I shut my eyes while I listen to his words, he sounds so bold and brave. I wish I could be more like that.

"What about my mom and Carl?" I hear myself whisper. Hope is all I have right now when I think about them; I don't know if they are even alive but I quickly push the horrible thought that tries to slip in away from my mind.

"I'll find them, we'll find them. But your safety comes first, we don't know what those things were that I saw in the hospital but I'm guessing they're the reason..." He stops his sentence but I know he's referring to the bombing of Atlanta. My chest begin to sting as a few tears leave my eyes.

"Shane...?"

"What is it?" He asks tenderly.

A sniffle comes from me; I gently squeeze his hand now feeling a wreck full of guilt. "I'm sorry I was mean to you back at your house today. I'm sorry— I—"

"Shhh, shhh, hey, it's okay, don't apologize. Shhh... I'm right here, I'm right here." He soothes against my hair; the lump in my throat doesn't subside for a while. But I believe his words anyway. We are all we've got right now; I close my eyes as I try my best to find sleep.

My eyes open to the car moving, as soon as I sit up in the backseat the sun hits my face causing me to squint from the golden brightness. I meet my gaze with Shane's when he glances at me in the rear-view mirror; I avert my gaze feeling sheepish before climbing up to the front seat.
My eyes scan around out of the window to see nothing except empty land around us, no other cars, no ravenous monsters. 

"Where are we?" I mumble sleepily, a yawn coming from my mouth which my hand covers.

"Somewhere in Georgia... I think. Trying to find us a place we can stay for tonight aside from the car." He answers glancing over at me; he must have been driving all night if we have made it this far out of this city and away from the chaos. My lips turn upward into a friendly smile hoping to cheer him up.

"Can I help?" I ask, but more so offer. "If you need to to drive we can switch places; I've slept enough to stay awake until three am." He softly chuckles at my words.

"Just keep your eyes peeled for any kind of cabin, or camping ground. I doubt a Motel Six is any kind of safe right now." He instructs warmly, I nod my head understanding his meaning. He's right; a Motel Six or anything near civilization is probably littered with those things, like roaches or other disgusting pests. I want to shiver just thinking about it.

"How long have you been up?" I continue talking; I want to keep a conversation going for my sanity of mine rights now. Besides, I really don't want to sit in silence after last night.

"Since dawn, it's been a few hours. But I'm hoping we can find something to eat, I know you must be hungry."

"So much for delivery service." I joke lightly causing the corners of his mouth to turn upright; I feel achieved when I see him smile.

"A burger sounds so good right now." Shane almost moans meanwhile my empty stomach grumbles.

"You're making me hungry..." A sigh leaves my lips.