Chapter 20: Finish them

Five and One were sitting on the ground tired. They had just finished the second timed maze. They had just been fighting a pack of starved platypus bears.

"Remind me to hate wildlife forever." One gasped.

Five smiled and laughed. "Yeah, I never was fond of certain animals. We have to keep going though. We are almost done with these mazes."

They continued on and found the key quite soon unlike the others. It was suspicious to say in the least. One took the key and waited for anything to happen. The ground shook. Five looked at the way they had come and to the left and right. From the hallways came three large beasts of legend.

"Oh shit," Five said.

Three scaly dragons emerged. One was a crystal dragon, the other was a desert type with a tail like a scorpion, and the last was a large black dragon with venom dripping from its disgusting muzzle. It hissed as it put its face right in front of One. She sneered and punched it. Its large head roared in anger and hit the wall to its side. The other two then began to attack. The crystal dragon let out its fiery breathe that crystalized upon contact. Five jumped onto the wall and off of it on to the top of the desert dragon. It snarled and its tail went to stab her in the back but it only hit the floor. She was balanced on top of it and watched out for the breath of the other. She was not pleased and was losing her temper. She broke off a piece of the crystal on the ground and charged head on at the desert dragon. She screamed out as she took the crystal and stabbed the mighty beast in the chest. It hissed in pain as it staggered and then fell to the ground. Five huffed as she broke off its stinger and faced the crystal dragon. It snarled and roared at the death of its brethren.

"Oh don't worry, you'll see each other at the Goddess' gates." Five said.

She dodged the breath of the dragon and the shards it flung at her from its tail. She was close now and was able to slide under the soft underbelly of the dragon and stuck the stinger into its body. The poison began to take effect and the dragon fell over paralyzed. Five shivered and sighed as she turned to view One's fight.

One, on the other hand, was dodging acid breath and the venomous saliva. Jumping and dodging the dragon's tail as it flailed it about and desperately trying to kill her. She was able to punch it and blast it here and there, but its rough hide was proving to be a problem. She climbed onto the head of the massive beast and jumped up to slam her feet into its head sending it to the ground. He was stunned and shook his head only to see One come at him with a fist charged up and ready. When it made contact the beast flew a few feet and it laid unconscious. One looked over and saw that Five was watching her as she leaned against the wall.

"Did you enjoy the show?" One asked.

"It revealed your prowess." Five said.

As they walked through the door and before entering the next challenge, Five pulled One in close and hugged her to reveal a plan. One was resistant, but in the end agreed. The next challenge was to kill each other. Cain presided over the battle.

Cain smiled and yelled to his audience, "Tonight we shall see a real battle unlike the last one. In order to officially move on, one of the players must slay the other to walk on to the final battle!" The people roared in applause. "Let the battle commence."

One stared at Five in question. Asking if she should actually follow through. Five nodded and stared at her determined to go through with it. They walked to opposite ends of the room and prepared themselves. One turned and counted to five before engaging Five. She ran towards her while Five kept her back to her. Five didn't move until the last second and misdirected One's punch. Her face was a blank stare as she stood in place and welcomed all of One's moves. She continued to infuriate her opponent by dodging and misdirecting her. One screamed out in anger when finally Five arm-barred her. She kept her blank stare and got into a fighting position. One rubbed her hand around her throat gasping for air until she recovered. She stood and then her eyes flared in murderous intent. Five smiled knowing the time was now. She ran towards One as One stood and waited for her to approach. She formed her hand into a knife hand and electrified it. As Five was only a second away from hitting her, a sickening sound was heard. The crowd gasped. They didn't expect the ending especially since the battle was so one-sided. Five coughed up blood and started to slide off One. One didn't move as Five fell to the floor with a hole in her stomach. Her hand was bloody, but her eyes were wide open after looking at Five. She smiled at her. She was so happy and what she said... It left an uncomfortable taste in her mouth.