Chapter 33 (LAST CHAPTER.)

{☆ SAM ☆}

The car is silent. Between Sam and his mother, there has always been that silence, which isn't uncomfortable. When his father was around-though Sam doesn't like calling Todd his dad anymore-they didn't have silence. The car is a place for Sam and Amelia to fantasize about. It was such an easy way to run, but now they don't need to. The court is over; Amelia won the case, and Nash pleaded innocent of self-defense. They both won, and now Todd is locked up far away from his family for at most 2 years.

Since then, they've been focusing on moving away from the house they've been hiding in. Not that far from it, about 20 minutes away, and Sam will go to the same school, so he doesn't have to start completely over. The old house was triggering Amelia's OCD all the time, cleaning the kitchen over and over again like a broken record. No matter how much she swept, the memories of glass in the pictures and vases were still there. Most of the time, she'd faint from exhaustion, and Sam would find her spiraling out on the floor before carrying her to bed. They both know this new house won't cure her OCD; nothing will, but it'll help more so she can get more sleep.

Finally, after summer break, the days are hot, and if they aren't, they have thunderstorms. Sam hates them; he makes loud noises, but it's nice to get rain for the flowers. his mother, and he never watered them. Today is a hot day, with the sun blinding Sam in the car and the grass bright green. Sam can finally wear shirts and shorts without being an ounce of cold. Amelia parks by the curb next to grass with a path that is surrounded by tall and bushy trees. She shifts in her seat, looking over to Sam. She looks better out of the house-still tired but happier and, at most, free. Most of the time, Amelia doesn't know what to do with herself. It's been 7 months, and only last week, she decided to go out with Nash's moms to a small shopping area. It'll take lots of time for her to regain her life. So much of her 20s lost.

"Is this it, dear?" Amelia asks.
Sam nods. "Yeah." He opens the door and steps out, cautious not to hit his head on the roof of the gray car. Sam can't help but turn back, worrying, "Are you going to be okay on your own?"

She smiles weakly. There's a glint of guilt in her eyes. She's always shadowed by guilt. "Go have fun with your friends; I'll be fine,' Amelia waves him off.

"I love you, mom." He hears her say it back before closing the car door. He walks down the dirt path to where his more satisfied life will take him.

The lake has a slow, calm current and glistens when the sun hits it. The grass is a bit taller near trees and lower as it comes towards the path. Flowers have already bloomed, and baby birds call to their families. It's peaceful and quiet, something Sam isn't used to but can be. He likes quiet; he needs quiet. It feels like his head has been screaming at him all year.

4 minutes in, he sees Nash with his friends, whom Sam doesn't remember all the names of, but he remembers Val. he would have a hard time forgetting those two times she scolded him as Amelia would and how he caught her at the party, pure rage and depression. Nash gets up, running over, embracing him in a tight hug. Sam doesn't waste time questioning it. It's normal by now, and Nash knows how much he loves physical touch. "You made it!" Nash smiles and lifts his head from Sam's shoulder. "I thought you got lost or something."

Sam grins back at him and says, "Sorry, I couldn't find my books."

"How's the new apartment?"
"Small and empty," Sam shrugs, "I like it."

Nash's lips never falter into a frown. His grown-out blond hair nearly touches his shoulders, and it matches the weather-sunny and confident. Sam always felt like Nash was a shy boy, but inside his bubble is a more comfortable and confident version of him. A version of him that Sam sees, and he doesn't ever want to unsee. Nash sees him as well-such an aggressive boy with the pressure of being normal. Sam loves lacrosse, yes, but his dream is to be a teacher to those who struggle more. He always felt comforted when he knew he could control the situation before him, and he knows he can control this. He can show his love to his boyfriend and prove he can dream and achieve it. Today is a special day.

"Good." Nash leans up and kisses Sam on his cheek, making Sam close his eyes to savor the moment. He smirks and grips Nadh's waist, kissing him back on his crown.
"Hey! Weirdos, get a room! We already have two love bugs." Ophelia calls over before looking over at Archie and Nova, who share a plate of snacks. They both blush and look away from each other.