Chapter 25

{☆ SAM ☆}

Sam messed up badly. Hell, he can't even focus on lifting or reading a book. That's how he knows whatever is bothering him needs to be solved before he loses his mind.

Nash had been living rent-free in his mind; now, it's worse. He's lucky if he can get 10 minutes without being reminded he's a dick and sabotaging the relationship with Nash. He shouldn't have gone to that little diner Valeria planned. No, Nash is right; Sam doesn't say anything when he should, and even if he never learned to communicate, he should at least make an effort. Sam puts down the dumb romance book that lets him escape for a while, finding it a bit useless now. He buries his hand in his face before rubbing his eyes, trying to focus.

He puts his hands down and turns to the clock on his nightstand at 10 a.m., and there's no way Nash is up, even if there's zero chance he would want a serious conversation so early in the morning. What's the next thing to solve besides their situation? His reputation with Mrs. Ember. Sam knows with all his heart that Mrs. Ember doesn't like him-no, that's an understatement-hates him. She seems to be the overprotective type of mom with boundaries. There are lots of boundaries. Besides that, Sam wants to win her over and prove he isn't like his father; he knows wrong from right and knows how to be a decent guy and a great boyfriend. She thinks Nash and he are dating, so it shouldn't be too hard if he just pretends they are in a relationship. Sam wants this, but he doesn't want to force it, yet it still feels like he is, and he hates it. He knows Nash likes him; it's obvious, but Nash doesn't know that he has mutual feelings.

Or maybe he should just admit he messed up and get advice from Ember or Sienna. He can't talk to his mom; yes, she knows about Nash and how Sam is confused about his sexuality, but she doesn't know it all. He doesn't want to risk his mother telling his dad as well, so his mother is off the list.

Standing on the carpet floor, he exits his room and jogs downstairs to see his dad lying on the couch. Sam tries to silently sneak to the door until he gets cut off by a "Where do you think you are going?" from his father, his voice is hoarse and demanding.

"To a friend's house," Sam replies, starting at the door in front of him. He can hear him sit up with a grunt. His dad is an older man, about 49 and more on the overweight side. With how lazy he is, it's hypocritical how he always pushed Sam to go the extra mile in everything.

Being forced to be perfect at everything makes Sam want to mess things up on purpose. Like Nash. He is so imperfect, it's perfect, and it sometimes stresses him out. He's never met so many people who live so freely.

"Not to that weird girl's house again, right?" Sam's father asks if his voice has sharp edges.

"weird girl?" Sam finally turns to him.

"The one next door."

Sam feels like he sinks into the floor when his dad mentions that feeling his throat clog up. His dad's thick and gray eyebrows rise. Fuck, he knows, Sam thinks to myself. His mom must've said something; she's bad at keeping secrets that she's proud of. Sam shakes his head, getting out of his cage of thoughts before it becomes a little too obvious that he is going to that "weird girl" house.

Sam digs his hands into his sweatpants, forcing himself to proceed with the bad habit of picking at the skin around his nails. "No, I'm going over to Quins. Also, that weird 'girl' is a boy." Sam dismisses.

His dad laughed, leaning back against the couch, his tired and old frame showing through his slowness. "Really? Natalie's moms were a bunch of f*gs, and now she is too."

Sam can feel his hands gripping in his pockets to the point where he can feel blood drip down into his nails. He's never hurt his father, but if anyone breathed those words near him, he wouldn't resist hurting them in a heartbeat. "He's not-"

"Whatever, go over; I couldn't give a shit. Just know that if they infect you with that, you aren't my son. Damn sinners." His dad mumbles the last part so nonchalantly like he didn't just spit out a bunch of hateful speech against his lovely neighbors. He gives Sam a smug smile as he picks up his beer, knowing he won the argument. Sam turns away, getting out of the house and slamming the door behind him in frustration. His father knows he can't do anything about it, and he just dares him to try.

---------------