book one of the ambivalence trilogy
I look at him.
"I don't want to kill anyone either. Trust me. But I'd do it if it would make you feel better."
He pulls me to a stop near the railing of the chasm. The Pit's glass ceiling is letting through rays of dusk, with mesmerizing rays of oranges and pinks lighting up the otherwise blackened stone. I can't focus on anything else though; Peter's eyes are too intense. They're like green lasers burning into my cerulean sea irises, like the sun reaching through a lens to start a fire.
I tear my eyes away.
"Four told me you heard," I blurt out. "What I said in my fear landscape."
"I did," Peter confirms. I squeeze my eyes shut and wait for the storm to pass.
"Why do you seem so scared? Do I scare you, Jax?"
"No," I breathe.
||all rights go to Veronica Roth for the divergent series, with the exception of a few characters||
- preface || ambivalence
- chapter 1 || you want a blood red, not a congealed fat white
- chapter 2 || sure, i'll watch it for you. thanks for using your manners
- chapter 3 || just think of all the nerve damage
- chapter 4 || yapping at an unfortunate passerby with your too-big Candor mouth
- chapter 5 || someone who was into greasy hair and bodily mutilation
- chapter 6 || my bunk squeaked - or maybe that was just myra
- chapter 7 || i made it fit, just to spite him
- chapter 8 || day two
- chapter 9 || day three
- chapter 10 || day four
- chapter 11 || war games
- chapter 12 || target practice
- chapter 13 || the infirmary (times two)
- chapter 14 || the butterknife
- chapter 15 || visiting day
- chapter 16 || stage two
- chapter 17 || fear three and four
- chapter 18 || fear five and six
- chapter 19 || progress report
- chapter 20 || the muffin
- chapter 21 || stage three
- chapter 22 || sort-of divergents
- chapter 23 || fear landscape
- chapter 24 || training room
- chapter 25 || fear landscape (again)
- chapter 26 || i know how to split a leather bag open
- chapter 27 || 'there's a bullet in my palm, so don't get worried.'
- chapter 28 || how can I possibly pick you up if I have a huge gash in my arm?
- Author's Note: Book 2
- Author's Note || 60k