chapter 8 || jax is brutal and could hand our butts to us any day

"Since there is an even number of you, you will all have a chance to fight today," Four explained as he stepped away from the chalk board in the training room.  My name was at the very bottom of the list, right next to Tris'. I frowned.

"Why the long face, Jax?" I blinked as Peter drew me away from my train of though. As we waited for Four to finish setting up the mats and Eric to, well, show up, the two of us plus the decent Candor transfers huddled by the bag to do one of two things: shrug off the fight as an easy win, or mope about a match that was sure to result in a broken jaw.

"Yeah, Jax, I'd be happy to spar Tris," Drew whined.

"Drew, you're built like a rock. Relax."

"Yeah, but I'm up against Edward!" Molly scoffed as Drew sighed and threw a pale hand against his forehead. "I'm done for!"

"At least you can put up a bit of a fight," Molly said. "Myra's up against Peter." The girl's face had blanched upon seeing the board.  "You know, I kind of feel bad for her."

"I don't know," I interjected, "she chose to come here.  Look at her, she's clinging to Eddie like... like a cell clinging to a medium."  The other three stared at me. "Right, Candor... normal cells need to be attached to some surface in order to survive.  When push comes to shove and she has to fight you, she won't stand a chance."  Myra nuzzled her head against Eddie's shoulder for support. I almost felt guilty about how much I was going to love watching her match. Almost.

"That's reassuring," Peter laughed.  Silence fell over us for a moment, when Molly decided to recommence her brooding (aiming all her energy at Christina, who she was slated to go up against) by exiling her smile and leaning up against the while. And Drew... he was still trying to wrap his head around the anchorage dependence cell talk. I made a mental note to stop making all the science analogies. "So, uh, you got any recommendations?" Peter shot me a crooked smile. "Should I try out that kick you showed me?"

"No," I shrugged, the floorboards creaking as I shifted my weight. "Don't waste your energy. Right hook to the jaw and she'll be out." Peter's blank stare mimicked Drew's.  The lock of hair I had been twisting around my finger fell to my shoulder as I abandoned it to instead draw a circle on my jaw. "There's a nerve right..." I trailed off, pressing down on my cheek until I felt a jolt. "Here! Right here. If you hit it right, it'll do the job nice and quick."

Peter nodded, still studying my face (or rather, where my fingers were on my face). Silence ensued once more as he brought his own hand up to the side of his face to mirror me. His fingers sunk into his cheek — based on the flinch and how fast his hand flew away from his face, I figured he had found it and shot him a smile.

Molly not-so-discreetly stomped on Peter's foot, bringing all attention to her as she cleared her throat. "Thanks, uh, yeah. Thank you."  The other girl rolled her eyes. "What, uh," Peter scrambled, "what about you, Molly?"

Molly sent him a glare. "Christina is a wuss. She'll—"

"Alright, I'm not waiting for Eric any longer," Four hollered. "First match on the mats, now." Al and Will stumbled forward.

"Right," Molly continued. "She'll probably tap out as soon as I hit her." I couldn't understand why Christina was such a loud mouth while the rest of the Candor transfers at least had an idea of when and how to shut up. Even still, she had a lean physique that would give her a speed advantage over anyone else with the same combat experience. Molly had a similar stature, but carried more weight and muscle than her opponent.

"You have a strength advantage," Peter commented, voicing my thoughts exactly. Molly would have a fair chance at winning if she could make use of it.