[Arthdal Chronicles] Fight fo...

Por parkmingyeong94

" I am an Igutu. Just like you, Tagon." Tagon's secret is not a secret for everyone but as he can't take the... Mais

Notes
CHAPTER 1 : It all begins. (EDITED 01.22)
CHAPTER 2 : The beginning of a friendship? (EDITED 05/22)
CHAPTER 3: Too late. (EDITED 05/22)
CHAPTER 4: An ambush (EDITED 05/22)
CHAPTER 5: Option two. (EDITED 05/22)
CHAPTER 6: Merciless. (EDITED 05/22)
CHAPTER 7: Reunion. (EDITED 05/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 1 : Run. (EDITED 05/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 2 : An angel? (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 3: Broken. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 4: A promise. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 5: Was that love? (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 6: "I killed them all" (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 7: Getting closer. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 8: Nothing but us. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 9 : Breaking the rules. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 10 : A meaningful dream. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 11: A promise to find each other again. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 8 : A secret that shouldn't have been heard. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 9: A new High Priestess. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 10: Interesting ideas. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 11: Meetings despite the risks. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 12: Caught. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 13: A Daekan sister. (EDITED 07/22)
CHAPTER 14: The calm before the storm. (EDITED 07/22)
CHAPTER 15: A turning point. (EDITED 07/22)
CHAPTER 16: A new guard for the High Priestess. (EDITED 07/22)
CHAPTER 18: Allies. (EDITED 07/22)
CHAPTER 19: Bringing back the calm in the Union.
CHAPTER 20: An imminent separation.
CHAPTER 21: A declaration of silent war.
CHAPTER 22: A King for Arthdal.
CHAPTER 23: A strong will.
CHAPTER 24: The rise of Asa Sin's descendant begins.
CHAPTER 25: The truth behind the lies.
CHAPTER 26: A sudden proposal.
CHAPTER 27: Learning how to be an Igutu.
CHAPTER 28: A coalition.
CHAPTER 29: A trap slowly closing.
CHAPTER 30: An effective curse
CHAPTER 31: A first victory for the Queen of Arthdal.
CHAPTER 32: The Spirits of Flowers Ceremony.
CHAPTER 33: Changing things will take time.
CHAPTER 34: A worrying dream and a deal.
CHAPTER 35: An unavoidable fate?
CHAPTER 36: A royal wedding.
CHAPTER 37: The fight had just begun.
CHAPTER 38: A pain always there.
CHAPTER 39: A step back, two steps forward.
Chapter 40: Friendship and love.
CHAPTER 41: A decision to try.
Chapter 42: A secret knowledge.
CHAPTER 43: Consequences.
CHAPTER 44: A decision, a kiss and a brokenheart.
CHAPTER 45: Eunseom.
CHAPTER 46: Things are going to be more complicated than planned.
CHAPTER 47: A reunion as wanted as dreaded.
CHAPTER 48: The twins meeting.
CHAPTER 49: Painful words.
CHAPTER 50: The members of the pack support each other.
CHAPTER 51: The cause you chose to fight for.
CHAPTER 52: An act of war.
CHAPTER 53: Shared grief.

Chapter 17: Choosing a path. (EDITED 07/22)

388 18 91
Por parkmingyeong94

Yangcha was still at his post, standing still in front of the High Priestess' office. Being Tanya's guard was awkward. When he was with her, he didn't know when she was able to listen to his thoughts or not and so he had to stay focused on not thinking about important things. He was more comfortable when she was locked in her office while he was waiting outside, even if he was bored. It was only his second day since he was assigned to his new job but he already thought days were going to be too long.

He got out of his thoughts by a familiar voice which put a smile on his face, the day wasn't as boring anymore.

"Hey Daekan, you seem deep in thought," Enoria teased.

Yangcha looked behind her, wondering if it was safe to talk to her or not.

"There's no priest in the hall, you can talk freely."

"Hey Igutu, did you already miss me?" Yangcha asked in a low voice after she had approached him closer.

"I did. I got used having you by my side all day," she replied.

"I miss you too when you are not by my side," he said before messing up her hair.

"The fact you are often the one brushing my hair doesn't mean you can mess it up, you know."

"Really? I thought it gave me that right, if not, I don't know why I keep doing it then."

"Is that so? Alright. I am going to find someone else to do it, what about Mugwang? I am sure he will gladly take care of me," she joked before pretending to go away.  

Yangcha laughed discreetly, he caught her wrist and brought her closer to him.

- Don't spend too much time with Mugwang, I don't like it. He said, stroking her cheek.
- Don't spend too much time with Tanya, I don't like it. She replied, childishly sticking out her tongue.

"If I could be by your side I would be but-"

"You can't because Tagon ordered you to be there, I know. There's always Tagon between us, the 16 years old me should have shot that arrow in his neck that day," she joked, mimicking shooting an arrow.

"You know your arrow would have missed your target, the wind was too strong it would have derived it," Yangcha teased.

"I know, I was just joking. I am glad things happened the way it happened. You would have been sad if Tagon had died anyway."

"But you didn't care at that time."

"That's not wrong but that's because I didn't know yet I would fall in love with you. If I had known I wouldn't have aimed at your precious Tagon."

"You are the one who is precious to me."

"Tagon is precious to you too. When are you going to confess that he is your first-"

Yangcha prevented her from finishing her sentence. He covered her mouth with his hand, pushing her gently against the wall behind her. "Don't say it. No matter how open-minded you are, you are my first love so, don't try, once again, to say otherwise," he murmured.

She laughed before she bit his hand to set herself free. "You never learn, do you?" she asked, biting her lower lip, satisfied.

"I knew you were going to do that," he said, laughing lightly.

"But you did it anyway? Do you like to be bitten?"

"Do you like to bite me?"

"Maybe. I may like letting my marks on you."

"You must be a pervert," he joked.

"The one who likes being bitten is as much a pervert as the one who bites."

"If you say so," he replied, laughing.

For a moment, he just watched her with a smile on his face she couldn't see but feel.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?" she asked.

"No reason. I am glad you came."

"You needed a little bit of entertainment, I am sure you were bored before I came."

"I was. I am not anymore, thanks to you," he replied, messing up her hair again.

"Hey, I told you to stop messing up my hair. I am going to kill you."

He laughed before taking her hand and tracing letters in her palm. "Can't kill me, not strong enough yet," he wrote to tease her.

"Are you sure of that? Do you want to fight, Daekan?" she asked with a knowing smile.

"You are going to lose again."

"You are probably right."

They stayed silent for a moment, standing still next to each other but knowing well the game had started, she was going to attack him and he was ready for it. 

When she thought it was the perfect time to make her move, she quickly reached for her dagger, unsheathed it and aimed at him without success. He caught her wrist and gently twisted her arm behind her back, pulling her against him to secure his catch. He took the dagger from her hand and put it back into its sheath. She was so close to him that her back was touching his chest. She could feel his heart beating fast in his chest and she knew well it wasn't because of the short friendly fight they just had, it put a victorious smile on her face. She may not have won any of the fights they had to train but she had won his heart years ago.

She bent her head back to look at him and he looked down at her.

"You lost," he said with a smile.

"I always lose."

"That's why you shouldn't start a fight," he replied before he tickled her waist making the sound of her laugh filled the corridor.

He stopped when he realized they were being noisy but when she was about to take a step away from him, she felt her hair being pulled: a strand of her hair was tangled in his chains. At the same moment, the door of the High Priestess' office opened.

"What are the two of you doing?" Tanya asked looking at the two warriors one after the other.

"Oh nothing, my hair accidentally got tangled in his chains," Enoria replied.

"Is that why you were laughing?"

"Me? Laughing? I don't see what you are talking about, we were being very serious."

Tanya smiled. Enoria could deny everything she wanted, she was sure she heard her laughing. "Do you want help with your hair?"

"Don't bother, we will manage, it is not like it is the first time it happens. We will untangle it patiently, won't we?" she replied, glancing at Yangcha who was focused on his meticulous task.

"I have always thought it would be way easier to just cut it though,"  the warrior thought. 

"Maybe you should just cut the small strand," Tanya said after hearing his thoughts.

"The last time I did that, I got scolded and ignored for one all week," he added, glancing at Tanya.

"What do you mean cutting my hair? Are you crazy? I won't allow that!" Enoria replied, then she looked at Yangcha, "don't ever think about it, if you do that again I am going to-" Before she finished her sentence, her hair was freed from the warrior's chains. "I am free!" she exclaimed.

Tanya laughed.

- What's so funny? Enoria asked.
- It's just, you two are cute somehow. The High Priestess replied.

"Cute? Seriously?"  Yangcha thought as the expression on his face was betraying how confused he was to be called cute.

Enoria looked at him, restraining herself from laughing. He looked at her too, warning her in silence not to even dare trying to comment.

"Did you hear that? Forget about the deadly warrior everyone fears, it's over now, we'll have to tell the world you are a cutie, I kind of feel like pinching your chee-"

"You talk too much,"  he thought, amused, as he, once again, covered her mouth with his hand to prevent her from finishing her sentence and wasting completely his reputation.

She mumbled something Yangcha and Tanya couldn't hear but the warrior knew exactly what she was saying. He removed his hand before she bit him again and the two exchanged knowing looks.

Amused, Tanya looked at them, they were maybe older than her but they reminded her of her time with Eunseom, they used to be childish like that too and the feeling of loneliness filled her once again. "Do you want to come inside?" Tanya asked Enoria.

"Don't take it wrongly Tanya, I am glad to see you but-"

"You came to see him, didn't you?"

"Yes, actually I am here to kidnap him."

"To kidnap him?"

"Yes, I can allow him to be your guard during the day, but you can't have him day and night. At night, he is mine."

"But-"

"Don't worry about your safety, I asked for some other warriors to protect you, they should be there soon."

"You asked for them or Tagon Niruha did?"

"Of course Tagon did," she replied before she smiled, "he just doesn't know it yet."

"You are going to be scolded again for doing whatever you want."

Yangcha gave her a look which made her understand he was siding with the High Priestess for that.

"It's not a big deal. I'll let him know," she defended herself, "Yangcha has to rest anyway, it's not like he can stay in front of your door for days."

"Yes, you are right," Tanya replied with a smile.

They were interrupted by loud voices coming from the corridor. The six Daekan warriors Enoria had asked for to assure Tanya's safety had just arrived. They respectfully greeted the High Priestess before they informed her they were there to take over from Yangcha, under Tagon's order. Tanya and Enoria exchanged a smile, knowing it wasn't really their leader's order that brung them there. Then the Priestess came closer to the Igutu to whisper something in her ear.

"Isn't six guards a little too much?" Tanya asked.

"No, it's the very bare minimum to replace my Yangcha," Enoria proudly replied.

Tanya looked at the masked warrior, she knew well what the Daekan warriors could do, she had all the time to witness their talent when they had attacked the Wahan tribe in Iark but knowing that Yangcha's abilities were worth six other warriors, she didn't know how to feel about it. He kind of scared her but she also felt a bit proud knowing that the strong warrior was now her bodyguard -at least during the day-.

Tanya thanked the warriors in advance for assuring her protection before she went back into her office.

"What is our Daekan Lady doing here?" one of the Daekans asked.

"I am here to make sure you correctly take over so that you do your job well and don't let anything happen to our High Priestess."

"We know how to do our job, don't worry about that," another replied.

"But you know what is funny? We met Tagon Niruha on the way to come here and guess what? He had no idea he gave us the order you relayed to us," another said with a smile.

"Is that so? It's weird. Maybe Tagon is just getting old, he forgets what he asks for," Enoria replied, pretending not knowing anything.

The six warriors exchanged knowing looks before looking at her again.

"Hey, cutie pie, next time, just ask us directly to take over Yangcha if you want to pass time with him."

"Yes, don't lie to us and don't give us order using Tagon Niruha's name."

"Having pretty eyes doesn't mean you can order us around," one of the warriors added, poking her head with his finger.

"If you do that again, I'll kill you," she complained, catching the finger he had used to annoy her.

"As if. We know you won't do that," he replied.

She sighed. They were right, she had no real intention to kill them even if they were annoying. "I can still break your finger," she said with a mischievous smile, tightening the grab she had on the warrior's finger.

"I got it, don't break my finger, I won't do that again," he complained.

"You better not," she replied before releasing him, "but, if you knew it was my doing why are you all there?"

"Because Tagon Niruha told us to listen to you."

"So in the end you still listened to my order," she answered, satisfied.

"Hey, if it wasn't for Tagon Niruha we wouldn't have come knowing it was you who asked, what do you think? Being our Daekan Lady doesn't give you all the right. "

"Stop lying, we would have come anyway," one of the warriors said before earning a nudge from one of his comrades.

"Don't tell her, don't give her another reason to act as a princess," the warrior replied with a sigh.

"She is already acting like one anyway."

"I am not a princess, I am a queen, if you are going to give me a status, give me the highest one," she interrupted.

"Get off of your cloud, you are our Daekan Lady, that's all," the warrior replied, poking her head once again.

"If you poke my head once again, I will tear that finger out of your hand with my teeth."

As if. Hey Yangcha, you could have found yourself a nice girl. Why did you find yourself a wild one?" 

Impassive, as always, the masked warrior glanced at her. He liked her like that, if she had been an ordinary girl he would not even have looked at her.

"Stop that, I heard Igutus and Neanthals sometimes eat humans," another warrior murmured to his comrade-in-arms.

"Where the hell did you hear that?" the other asked.

"Ah I see you are well informed," Enoria interrupted, "that's not our fault. During the Great Hunt we had to eat what we could so, when times were hard, we had no choice. I should apologize. I may have eaten some of your brothers. Daekans meat was my favorite." 

"Stop talking nonsense."

"Nonsense? Think about it, why do you think I keep Yangcha close? Everytime I get peckish I slice a little bit of him, he is delicious."

The six warriors looked at her, confused. They never knew when she was lying or not as the expression on her face was always difficult to read, just like Yangcha. They looked at their masked brother as if they were asking for a confirmation of what she had just said to them.

"Is that true? Yangcha, do you really let her-" one of them started to question.

"Of course not, idiots!" she interrupted, "what do you think I am? Stop believing everything you hear! I can't believe you are that stupid. You are all hopeless."

The warriors laughed, pretending they didn't believe her in the first place and that they were messing around too. She looked at them with desperation as she knew they were being serious a moment ago. Then, she looked at Yangcha. It was time for them to leave those six idiots to their job. He understood immediately the look in her eyes, he stood up straight from the wall he had leaned on earlier, took her hand in his, which put a smile on her face, and they just walked away.

She was called out by one of the warriors who asked her in a laugh not to forget to let Yangcha rest, at least a little. In front of them, she just rolled her eyes and said nothing, but when she turned her head and continued on her path, a mischievous smile appeared on her face: the fact Yangcha was going to rest or not was up to him and from what he wrote in her hand just after they left the vision field of the warriors, he wasn't that tired.

-----------------------------------------------------------

After having left the warriors in front of Tanya's office, Enoria and Yangcha didn't go to their room. They got out of the city and vanished in the forest to enjoy their free time in that wooden house where they had reunited for the first time after the years that had separated them.

They left their weapons on the ground. Yangcha took off his mask and they sat near the river talking for a moment before she childishly started looking for trouble by splashing him.

"Stop that or else you are going to regret it," he warned.

"And what are you going to do, Daekan?" she provoked.

"You already lost a fight today, you want to lose another one?"

She didn't answer, she looked him in the eye with a mischievous expression on her face. She put her hand on the water again.

"Don't-" He didn't have the time to finish his sentence, he was touched by water again. He looked at her and she stuck her tongue out. "I hope you still run fast."

"Still run faster than an half-igutu," she replied before standing up quickly and running away in the forest, laughing.

Despite the fact she would have been faster than him if she had used all her potential, he still managed to catch up with her. He carried her into his arms before heading back to the river and she understood quickly his intention. 

"You are not going to do that, are you?" she asked.

"I told you you'll regret it."

"I am sorry, I won't do that again, that was childish, let me go, on the ground, please," she said.

He ignored her request and walked in the river a little to release her from his arms in the deepest water. 

"I regret it, sincerely, with all my heart I regret it so set me down on the ground," she continued, still laughing.

"There's no reason I am the only one to be wet."

"You're right, it's unfair, I am really a mean person but you are not like me, are you? You wouldn't avenge yourself like that, you are not the gosal our High Priestess thinks you are."

"Then what am I?"

"A cutie."

"Wrong answer," he replied with a small laugh as he prepared himself to let her down safely in the water, but she didn't fall, she was holding on to him too tightly for that.

"I am not going to let go, if I fall in the water you fall too," she said in a desperate attempt to keep herself dry.

"Second chance then, what am I?"

"You are the man I love, the one I gave my heart to years ago, the one I want to spend the rest of my life with," she replied looking at him in the eye.

"That answer is way better than the first one."

"That doesn't change the fact you are a cutie though," she joked.

"You searched for it," he replied before he tickled her and she involuntarily loosen the grab her two hands had around his neck and she fell into the water disappearing for a short moment.

When she showed herself again, the first thing she saw was Yangcha laughing at his own actions.

" A kid that's what you are!"

"That makes two of us," he replied, laughing.

"How did you dare?! I am going to kill you!" she said with an amused tone.

"Go ahead, try."

That ended as a fight in the river and they both ended up as wet as the other.

That was childish, Yangcha knew that well, but it didn't matter. Hearing her laugh, seeing a bright smile on her face, her simply being herself far from her involvement in the political games of Arthdal, were worth all the childishness. 

It reminded him of the simple times they had when they met in the forest when their relationship was still a secret. At those times, it was only the two of them and it seemed like the rest of the world disappeared, just like at that moment. He let her splash him one last time before he brought her closer to him. She was still giggling and a smile appeared on his face as he gently stroked her cheek with his thumb.

"You're beautiful," he said, looking her in the eye.

"Why all of the sudden?"

"No reason, I wanted to tell you that."

"You're not bad either," she answered with a knowing smile he gave back.

"I love you."

"Me too, with all my heart, I love you too," she replied as she put her hand on his, "but, is that a way to end our fight? Do you surrender?"

"What do you think? Should we continue or should we stop?"

"We should stop, the water is pretty cold," she replied with a small laugh, taking his hand to lead him out of the river.

They lit a fire into the fireplace of the wooden house before getting rid of their wet clothes. The night was quite cold but they weren't, they did not need any warmth but what they shared with each other. They fell asleep later, snuggled into each other's arms with smiles on their faces.

-----------------------------------------------------------

She woke up first, Yangcha asleep next to her. For a moment, she just watched him. She watched his chest slowly moving up and down with every breath. With her eyes only, she followed the strongly defined lines of his chest to the solid muscle that rippled along his stomach. Her eyes stopped at his scar and she traced the lines of it with her finger. That was the only one he had, it was almost invisible but she knew, she remembered exactly how that simple scar could have taken him away from her years ago. That was the first and last time she had helped, without them knowing, the Daekans fighting against a Neanthal and she had passed the next five days hoping for the man she loved to wake up from the deep sleep that Neanthal had plunged him into. 

"Don't watch it, don't recall those bad memories," Yangcha said, taking her hand in his," I wish you could forget that," he added looking at her.

"How could I when it almost took you away from me forever?"

"But I am still here."

"Fortunately!"

He rolled over so he was on top of her and he locked eyes with her. He knew well he was the one in pain back then but she had suffered as much as him during those times.

"You know I love you way too much to let you live without me, don't you?" he asked.

"I know, and that's a good thing since I don't want to live without you," she replied before dropping a soft kiss on his lips.

Then she just looked at him and a small satisfied smile appeared on her face as she noticed the mark she had left on his shoulder.

"Why this smile?"

"I am sorry, my nails and teeth have involuntarily left marks on your body," she murmured before laughing lightly.

"Involuntarily huh?"

"You should make sure to keep your shirt on when training with the other Daekans."

"I'll make sure to do that. And you, what are you going to do for the mark I left on your neck?" he teased.

"What? It left a mark?" she asked as she pushed him before she stood up from the bed to go check herself in the mirror.

While looking at the consequences of the little game they had before falling asleep, she complained he could have avoided visible areas. He laughed before reminding her that she was far from complaining while he was actually putting his marks on her and that she was the one who had started everything by saying Igutus ate Daekans. He stood up from the bed as well, put on his pants and approached her so that he could wrap her in the blanket.

"Don't walk around naked, you'll get cold."

"What do I do?" she asked, covering the mark on her neck with her hand.

He laughed then he removed her hand and dropped a kiss on her neck. "Just wear a dress a little more covering than usual," he replied, wrapping his arms around her.

"As if I had the choice anyway," she said with a laugh, "next time we should be more careful not to do that in places everyone can see."

"Next time? I see you enjoyed that," he teased.

She looked at him with malicious eyes, of course she had enjoyed the night they had spent. She didn't reply straight away, she locked eyes with him and wrapped her hands around his neck. The blanket he had enveloped her in fell to her waist where Yangcha's hands were preventing it from falling to the ground. She came closer to him, her naked breast against his bare chest and she dropped a kiss on his lips before her lips left his, travelling along the line of his jaw, nuzzling his earlobe, pulling it into her mouth.

"Don't tease me, you enjoyed that too," she murmured to his ear.

"Careful, ears are a sensitive part."

"Do you really think I don't know which parts of you are sensitive?"

"I have no doubt you do but, fairly enough, I know yours too."

With his finger, he followed the contours of her face, ear, shoulder then he brushed his hand over her naked arm before going down to her waist sending shivers all over her body. His mouth was mere centimeters from hers and she could feel his hot breath caressing her lips as he spoke: "If I continue you know how it's going to end, don't you?" he teased in a murmur.

"I have an idea," she managed to say though she had only in mind to put her lips on his.

"Let's continue our little game later," he whispered to her ear, "you are not in the best condition for us to continue."

"What do you mean? I feel fine."

"Then it seems you are the only one who doesn't hear the rumbling coming from your stomach," he replied with a laugh putting back the blanket on her shoulders.

"I didn't know it was that loud, it's embarrassing," she said in a low voice, "should I cook us something?"

"Did your cooking skills improve while I was in Iark?"

"Probably not."

"Then I'll cook, I don't want to die," he joked, looking around for some food.

"So mean," she said as she pouted.

"The last time I let you cook for me, I got sick."

"That was not my fault if I mistook an edible plant with a poisonous one, they looked similar," she tried to explain even though they already had that conversation many times.

"It happened three times," he continued to tease her.

"Three times in so many years is not that much."

"It seems more than enough to me," he joked, "just wait, I'll prepare everything."

"I can't even help you?"

"It's better for our safety if you don't," he replied with a small laugh.

"Do you think I am cursed or something?"

"When it comes to your cooking skills, I have to say I am not sure you are not."

"Alright then, I'll sit over there and just watch you do all the work."

"Put some clothes on too, it's distracting."

"But I have the blanket."

"If you use it as a cape it doesn't cover you, you wouldn't want me to cut myself because your naked body is distracting me, would you?"

"Of course not," she replied with a smile before she let go of the blanket to slip into a new dress.

He restrained himself from laughing at her when he saw her checking in the mirror if she had well hidden the proof of the night they had spent he had left on her neck. She glanced at him and smiled before she sat on the bed and watched him from afar enjoying the view of her shirtless man cooking for the both of them. He didn't talk that much, he never did when he was concentrating on something but she didn't mind, she just stared, admired, loved him through her eyes, her gaze travelling insolently over his body. 

He had tied his hair in a ponytail so that he was not bothered while cooking or maybe because he knew she liked it when he did so. He was handsome. From head to toe. He had a presence, in a crowd it would be impossible not to notice him. Yet he was quiet, punishment or not he was not a talkative man, he was mysterious, unapproachable for most of the people but he had allowed her close enough to glimpse the real man hidden inside. He was dedicated to his job for sure, loyal and serious in the tasks given to him by Tagon but he was also caring and protective and even if he would have deny it, he also had a sweet and sensitive side he didn't let others see but she knew, because he let her see that part of him.

She bit her lips and a shiver rippled through her as she remembered the caress of those hands on her body, the brush and stroke of those fingers which knew perfectly what to do over her sensitive skin. She remembered, too, how his dark eyes had burned with hot passion when he had made love to her and also, how he had made love to her, intensely and with an absolute dedication to meet her every need and leave her breathless and completely satisfied.

"Enoria," he called out.

"Yes?" she asked, getting out of the indecent thoughts she was having.

"You know it's not me you are going to eat, don't you?"

She smiled, he knew her too well she couldn't even hide those kinds of thoughts from him. 

"Do you even know what I want to do to you when you look at me like that?" he asked.

"And you, do you know what I want to do to you when I look at you like that?" she teased.

"Come eat, little Igutu," he replied with a small laugh, gesturing to her to approach.

They ate quite silently, looking at each other lovingly from time to time. They both were thinking about the same thing: they wondered if that simple moment they were having would ever become an everyday thing, because after all, all they wanted was to live, freely, a simple life with each other. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Enoria headed for the Palace to resume her place by Tagon's side, she was still smiling, happy with the moment she got to spend with Yangcha. When she arrived there, Tagon didn't mention the fact she had given orders using his name to his warriors, she bet he didn't really mind as long as it didn't cause any harm. The Union Leader told her there was going to be a meeting soon and she was to attend it but he warned her he wanted to hear nothing from her if he didn't ask for it. She respected his choice, she knew well he would end up asking for her opinion anyway. 

In the room where the meeting was going to be held, Mubaek and Gilseon had already taken their seats, respectively representing the Daekan Forces and the Union Guards. Just behind them were standing some important members of the Daekans too, among them were Mugwang, Yeonbal and Gitoha. In front of them was Saya, waiting impatiently to expose his ideas to make Tagon the king, and next to him were some other councilors.

When Tagon entered the room, those who were seated stood up and they all bowed to greet the Union Leader who walked around the table to get to his seat before he sat and everyone did the same. 

Enoria could have got closer and joined the Daekans line the others were forming but she stayed near the door, that way, not only was she facing Tagon directly but she could also see everyone's reactions to what was going to be said. Many times, Yangcha had told her how observing was important as people were often talking with gestures giving, unconsciously, clues to comprehend what they truly were thinking.

The councilors were uncomfortable, they avoided looking at Tagon and mostly kept their heads down. They probably feared to say something he wouldn't appreciate and preferred to rub him up the right way.

A bunch of cowards, that was what they were for Enoria who watched them as they fakely praised Tagon for the way he had dealt with the coup. None of them had the courage to question him over the deaths of Asa Ron and the other tribes' leaders.

Tagon wasn't stupid, he knew what they thought, their trembling voices were betraying them anyway. He had spread fear in the Union and he was aware no one would dare to oppose him for the moment, not because they believed in him and agreed with his ways but just because they didn't want to lose their lives. 

The councilors were interrupted by Saya, who thought they should rather discuss what their Niruha was going to do next instead of talking about something that had already happened. The councilors agreed, they didn't want to go against the Union Leader's son anyway. Satisfied, Saya started explaining what he had thought about.

The way Mubaek kept checking Tagon's every reaction showed he was worried about what their leader could do.

Gilseon was attentive, probably waiting for the perfect moment to say something smart so he could be praised by Tagon and brag about it later. He was trying way too hard to look more important than Mubaek by making sure he gave positive reactions to everything Tagon was saying. It was a well-known fact that Gilseon had always been in a kind of rivalry with Mubaek to know which one of them was the most important for Tagon.

Saya was proudly sharing his ideas, he had prepared everything for Tagon to become the king, the one who must own everything. He first shared what they had already talked about during another meeting: the abolition of tribalism that was necessary to unite the people under one unique nation. The High Priestess had been asked to come up with a new name and he didn't doubt she would find one that the people would appreciate. 

From time to time Tagon gave a simple nod to him, not because he agreed but just to show he had understood so that his son could continue his explanation. 

Saya continued, they needed an emblem that could represent Arthdal and its ruler, his father, the king and Aramum Haesulla's second coming. He thought that status should be shown to others, that's why he wanted Tagon to parade through the streets carried on a portable throne and make the people kneel with their foreheads on the ground to show the respect they owned him, to show his superiority as a God, to remember the people of the Union where were their places and where was his father's. 

Saya sighed loudly when he heard a light mocking laugh coming from the corner of the room. 

"If you have something to say, say it," he said with gritted teeth, looking at Enoria.

She didn't reply to him, Tagon had forbidden her to talk without his authorization and she knew well than, by making sure to respect his order, it would annoy Saya.

"Put a mask on her face and she is just as silently arrogant as Yangcha," Saya murmured for himself.

"Say what you want to say," Tagon gave her his authorization.

"Are you allowing me to speak?" she asked.

Tagon nodded, gesturing she could go ahead. 

She approached the table they were all sitting around, and she sat at its opposite, in front of Tagon. Saya rolled his eyes in annoyance, by choosing that seat, she was putting herself at the same level as his father and he hated that.

"Let me be honest, Saya, your plan is rubbish. It will only lead to unnecessary troubles and it is not what the Union needs right now."

"Then, if you are that smart, what do you suggest? What do you even know about kingdoms?" he snickered.

"I know more than some stupid things written in books."

"And how would-"

"Explain, what's your idea?" Tagon interrupted.

"Take everything Saya told you to do and do the exact opposite," she replied.

Tagon gestured her to continue, intrigued by what she meant. Unlike Saya, she advised him not to try to look superior in the eyes of the people, instead, she thought it would be a better idea if he actually managed to get close to his people to win back their trust after the coup that had led to many deaths. 

Instead of instilling fear among his people, he should show himself generous, available and meet their desires and needs for them to forget about the coup. 

She knew well he didn't want to become a tyrant and she didn't think it was too late to make things right again, he just needed to be sure people understood Asa Ron, his warriors and those who sided with them were traitors which were going to cause harm to the Union and that him, the Daekans and the Union guards had saved them. 

She proposed to him to use the coup as an opportunity to show the people he was there to protect them and that now they should work together to make a fresh start so that the Union could become a Kingdom without troubles.

Saya huffed. From what he had studied it wasn't what Tagon should do, he had never read about a King being friendly with his people, he was supposed to stand above them all not at the same level.  "That's nonsense, that's not how things should be don-"

"I don't remember having asked for your opinion. Be quiet and let the adults talk, boy," she interrupted Saya.

Saya gave him a dark look, wondering how she could dare to be that disrespectful to him in front of the concillors, the warriors and most importantly Tagon. He chose to ignore her, she didn't deserve an answer. He turned to Tagon, "are you really going to listen to her Niruha? She shouldn't even be there, she should have died with her warrior when we found out they were traitors," Saya said, feeling the anger rising in him.

"Be careful with your words, boy, you wouldn't want me to humiliate you by making you get on your knees and apologiz-"

"Enough," Tagon interrupted, "either you expose your idea either you stay quiet but stop being provocative."

"Right, the boy will end up crying," she continued in a murmur giving a small mocking smile to Saya who didn't miss to notice, "I told you already, a King is nothing without his people but if you choose fear to establish your authority you'll lose them."

"So what should I do then?"

"First you should think about what kind of king you want to be and which way you want to use to achieve your goal."

"There is only one way, he must take everything and stand above the people," Saya said.

"Explain, what are my options?" Tagon asked.

"Before I explain, Niruha, what do you think is stronger, fear or love?"

"Fear, obviously, it makes people obey. Love makes people weak," Gilseon replied, thinking the question was way too easy.

He was wrong. Love was stronger than fear. Fear made people prone to betrayal because they would always hope for something better than what they had. They wouldn't be bound to the kingdom Tagon wanted to create nor to the king he wanted to be if they lived in fear. Of course, she thought love wasn't enough to govern, they needed to understand they couldn't take him down that easily, but the people already knew what Tagon was capable of, he didn't need to prove more. 

He needed them to follow him but if he chose fear to make them do so, they would find the strength to unify and rebel against him, causing harm to the soon-to-be kingdom. But if he made sure the people were happy and satisfied with what they had, they wouldn't find a reasonable reason to rebel and the kingdom could be a peaceful one. By choosing to win back the love of his people rather than choosing to make them fear him, he would become their king and not only the king. She thought it was better if they became his people because they wanted to and not because they were obliged to, because they loved him and not because they feared him, even if she agreed that the fact they feared him a little was for the best.

"How? How do I win back their love and trust?" Tagon asked.

"Get close to them, show interest, be generous as if they were more important than your own life," she replied.

"Niruha, you are the second coming of Aramum Haesulla, you can't just mingle with those of low status as she suggests," Saya interrupted.

"Those people are his people. Tagon, if you follow Saya's advice you'll be King, yes, but for how long? A King must care about every single one person who lives under his reign because that's his duty to serve his people, to protect them, to make sure they live decent lives in exchange of their loyalty."

"A King serves no one, people serve him, that's why he must have everything, where did you learn about a king serving his people?" Saya asked with a mocking tone.

She sighed, it was annoying to be interrupted by people who didn't know what they were talking about. She didn't need to convince them all, just convincing Tagon was sufficient.

"What you propose, is that even possible after what happened?" Tagon asked her.

"Of course it is, with a little help from the Gods," she replied with a smile.

She had a plan, Tagon saw it in her eyes. He stayed silent for a moment, he didn't know if that would work but the fact she had a way to make people love and trust him again gave him hope. After the coup, he thought it was over, that he would never be able to win the hearts of the people again, he had given up on that, even Taealha had told him to, but now, Enoria was giving him the will to fight a little bit longer for what he believed in. Maybe he could still be the King he wanted to be, one loved by his people and as she said, one followed by his people because they wanted to and not because they had to.

"Excuse me but I don't understand, isn't it better to make sure the people know their places? Why bother trying to win their love when Tagon Niruha already has them under control?" Gilseon huffed.

"Because a King not well-liked by his people is nothing more than a tyrant," she replied.

"Are you saying Tagon Niruha is a tyrant, my lady?" one of the councilors asked.

"No, he isn't, not yet. I am saying he has two paths in front of him. He can choose to become a king who owns everything even if he had to take everything by force, that is an easy path, a lonely and dark one and it certainly will bring disaster to Arthdal. Or, he can choose to become a king who makes the interests of his people pass before his, and make Arthdal a peaceful kingdom in which people are happy to live in."

Tagon turned to his councilors, asking for their opinions. They didn't take risks and assured that no matter what path Tagon chose to follow they were sure it would be the right one and the best for Arthdal.

"Could you please stop licking his boots? Not only is it annoying but that also makes all of you useless," Enoria complained.

"Mubaek, what do you think?" Tagon asked.

"I think, if there is a way to do things peacefully then you should try that way, Niruha," the warrior replied.

The councilors examined Tagon's reaction and when the Union Leader smiled saying that's what he thought too, they changed their attitude, they seemed to finally allow themselves to breathe.

"Niruha, I think too it will be better, what about the Palace shares some ressources with those who suffered from the consequences of the coup?" a member of the council asked.

"Such a great idea, we should also organize something to celebrate the new start the Union is going to take," another added.

When they all started to talk about how it was a great idea to do everything necessary to bring back peace in the Union, Saya was dumbfounded by the fact they were agreeing so easily to what Enoria had proposed. She noticed well how much he hated that and she smiled at him, satisfied, she had won the game.

"But what to do about the people who think Tagon Niruha had wronged the Bato tribe and the White Mountain tribe? Should we send them flowers or something? Tell us, do you have a magic trick to deal with that?" Gilseon asked, sarcastic.

"I do," she replied.

"What is it?" Tagon questioned.

"Apologize."

"What? You're not serious, are you?" Gilseon asked surprised before he laughed mockingly at the proposition that sounded ridiculous to his ear.

"I am serious. But I won't give details right now. There's too many ears I don't trust in this room."

"Alright. Leave us, all of you, I want to speak to her privately," Tagon ordered.

"Niruha-" Saya didn't say what he was about to say, the way Tagon looked at him was telling him it was unnecessary to complain. 

Her way. That's what he had chosen, not his. 

He was the first to leave the room, not hiding his anger.

The warriors and the other members of the council bowed to Tagon before leaving the room. 

"Are you really going to keep Saya as an advisor? He can't even control his own emotions," she mocked.

"Maybe if you stopped provoking him, it would be better."

"I can't help it, it's too funny to see him lose control," she joked.

Tagon almost smiled but he restrained himself and scolded her for her not to do that again as he stood up and walked to the window. He stayed silent for a moment as he watched the people of the Union busy with their activities. He had always wanted the people to love him, it was so important for him to have their approval because his biggest fear was to be abandoned. That's why he had done everything his father had told him to do - killing those who saw his blood, getting rid of Igutus and Neanthals, bringing back slaves from Iark -, because he had promised him he would become Aramum Haesulla by doing so, a true hero in the eyes of the people of the Union, someone loved, someone followed. 

"Do you really think if the people love me they won't betray me?"

"Yes, I do."

"People can also betray for love. Yangcha and you are the perfect proof of that."

"He is also proof I am right, he loves me but he has affection for you too, just like you have for him, that's why he still stayed by your side loyally all those years. I can't even tell you the number of times we argued because of you, because I couldn't understand why he was following you until I did. He didn't abandon you, even if he could have, because of that mutual respect, mutual trust and mutual understanding the two of you have, and more importantly because he didn't want to. The link you have with him is the kind of link you should recreate with the people of the Union and that will be way easier than convincing Yangcha to follow you. The people of the Union are sheep, if one of them follows they all will and if you are the one they love, they won't betray you."

It made sense and that was a path he wanted to take, a safe one. He turned to look at her and smiled. "I am sorry," he said.

"For what?"

"For having been a source of argument between the two of you."

"Oh, don't worry about that, we always make up quickly," she answered with a smile.

"Give me more details about your plan."

"Sure," she replied with a smile.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Outside, Gilseon and the Daekans were waiting for Tagon to come out. Mubaek and the councilors had left to go back to their occupations. They were awkwardly silent before Gilseon broke it: "Who the hell is that girl?"

"You don't know? She is Yangcha's girl!" Mugwang replied.

"What?! Since when does he have a girl?" Gilseon questioned without hiding his surprise.

"A while, he found her during the Great Hunt."

"How come I didn't know that?"

"We didn't know either, we first saw her after we came back toArthdal, and we found out she was his girl only recently."

"And so? What's with the bratty attitude? Why is she that rude? Does she think being his girl gives her all the right? How can she call Lord Saya and Tagon Niruha simply by their names? Is she close to Niruha?"

"I don't really know but Tagon Niruha doesn't seem to be bothered by her attitude, we even thought there was something between the two of them before learning about Yangcha and her. As for her attitude, well, that's just who she is."

"If Yangcha could talk, that's exactly the kind of attitude I think he would have, no wonder they are together."

"Right, but be careful, our Daekan Lady is not the kind of woman you should piss off," Gitoha added before the others nodded in agreement.

"What? Daekan Lady? Has Tagon Niruha made her a Daekan? Why? The privilege of sleeping with his right-hand-man?" Gilseon huffed.

"No, that's not that. Yangcha had trained her, she is as good as he is," a warrior replied.

"When she fought against Mubaek, they were even too," another added.

"Yes, she was quite impressive."

"I see Yangcha is not the only one she had seduced, you seem to be all under her spell," Gilseon said.

When Tagon opened the door of the office to leave, the warriors who were waiting outside bowed to him. He turned to face Enoria. "I'll let you prepare everything, I am counting on you," he said.

"Yes, sure. But, Tagon, you should rest, you don't look that well."

"I am fine, don't worry," he replied with a smile before leaving.

After Tagon was out of sight, Gilseon sighed looking at Enoria.

"What?" she asked.

"How could you call Tagon Niruha simply by his name, don't you know how to use honorifics?" Gilseon asked, annoyed.

"Are you related by blood to Taealha or something?"

"What? What kind of nonsense is-"

"Hey little wolf," Mugwang interrupted by calling her out.

"Cut it out with the nicknames already," she said in a sigh.

"Those were good ideas you had, Lord Saya had no chance against you, good job," he said with a smile.

"Of course that brat had no chance, who do you think I am?" she asked, not even restraining her proud smile.

"Hey, you, you shouldn't call Lord Saya like that," Gilseon interrupted.

" "Hey you"? It's "Lady Enoria" for you Gilseon, don't you know how to use honorifics?" she questioned, looking at him up and down before clicking her tongue and leaving.

She had not left Gilseon the time to answer before leaving but even if she had, he wouldn't have known what to reply anyway. He hadn't expected her to answer him that way. The other warriors didn't even restrain their mocking smiles.

"Is she always like that?" Gilseon asked the others.

"Yes she is, you'll get used to it," Gitoha replied with a laugh.

"How annoying she is! Just like Yangcha, I told you!" Gilseon complained.

Mugwang told him she was charming before going after her leaving a baffled Gilseon behind and the others laughing.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Yangcha had resumed his place in front of the High Priestess' office. It was still early and the maids kept going in and out of the room they were assisting Tanya in. They walked along the wall with their heads down, apologizing to the warrior everytime their eyes met his. Tagon had not chosen him for nothing, his silent presence filled with fear those who saw him.

Later in the morning, Tanya received the visit of Doti, the only child of the Wahan who had survived everything the tribe had gone through. She was accompanied by Seuchun, a man who used to work for the doctor Harim. He told her about Harim and his family's deaths and she felt saddened to hear that but she quickly forgot about it when he informed her he had seen Eunseom. He explained the Wahans were dragged away as slaves because someone named Mungtae betrayed them, that someone named Teodae took his own life in front of Eunseom and that, even if usually only dead people left Doldambul, Eunseom had found a way to got everyone out of there.

Learning about that Tanya cried for a long time. She had been desperately waiting for news from him. He was alive and he was doing his best to help people in need despite what he had been through. It gave her hope, if Eunseom was trying his best she had to do the same too.

When she finally got out of her room, she went to the ceremonial room, and she sat in front of the fire which never stopped burning. She had many things in her mind and tears were still going down her cheeks. 

"Why is she crying?" 

She heard that voice that wasn't that familiar yet. She didn't look at him, he was just next to her, silently standing at a respectable distance, and, without looking she could still feel his inflexible gaze on her.

She wondered if he cared about seeing her crying or if it just made him uncomfortable. She didn't ask, it probably was the latter anyway. "Why am I crying? People usually cry when they're in distress or when they can feel others' pain. But I guess you can also cry when you're brimming with dogged determination. I just learned that today," she explained.

"Did she hear me? What could she be determined to do?" 

She didn't have time to answer his questions, she didn't know if she wanted to share anything with him anyway, her attendant came in and bowed then announced Saya wanted to speak to her. 

Earlier, the same attendant had reported to Saya that Tanya cried for a long time after speaking to Doti and Seuchun, who she knew used to work for Harim and came to tell her about the deaths of the family. Saya's spy told him she found it strange the High Priestess would cry so much over them as they didn't seem to be that close and Saya became suspicious, thinking Tanya was hiding something from him.

Tanya headed back to her office where Saya was waiting for her. 

"Where do those who are suffering and deserve pity reside here in Arthdal?" she asked her attendant on the way.

"I am not sure what to say. There are so many places like that."

"Find me a decent place. A place where there are a lot of people who deserve pity and where there are a lot of people around," she ordered. She would follow Eunseom's example. She would do her best to help those she could even if she didn't really know how she would do that yet, she wanted to try, just like he was. And it was with determined steps that the High Priestess headed for her office.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

92.2K 5.2K 51
- In which Avery moves into a new neighborhood and meets Jay, a man with many secrets. He lights up her world the moment he stepped into her life. Ho...
155K 8K 64
"We can't be just friends and you know that." Grabbing my arm he pushed me against the wall, my hip hitting the table causing a shooting pain to tra...
5.3K 302 19
This story starts after Tagon's Declaration of War. Let's see what could happen in the land of Arthdal... (the rights for the photos to the right-ho...